Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Slipping On Driveway Snow/Ice Questions
Mom2Two 10:11 AM 01-19-2017
So last week, one of my daycare dad's told us he'd fallen "HARD" on black ice on our driveway. We had a lot of black ice around these parts last week, because we'd had rain and very cold weather and the driveways weren't drying out. I hadn't realized it was a problem until he said something.

I felt like this family was kinda prepping to milk the situation if possible (or necessary, from their pov). And they have lived on a disability settlement in the past. But this particular family is not really my main question here. However, the way they were acting made us more concerned about liability issues with the ice and snow.

It's snowing again today, and it's still snowing. We shoveled and put salt down on the steps and the part of the driveway leading up to the steps. I went out again to shovel (only two kids here so far + DD). But I have another family dropping off at noon. What if I can't get out again?

I let the noon mom know that I'd done my best but that I couldn't guarantee I'd get out again. What is my responsibility here? It's still snowing lightly but sticking.
Sumshine 10:51 AM 01-19-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
So last week, one of my daycare dad's told us he'd fallen "HARD" on black ice on our driveway. We had a lot of black ice around these parts last week, because we'd had rain and very cold weather and the driveways weren't drying out. I hadn't realized it was a problem until he said something.

I felt like this family was kinda prepping to milk the situation if possible (or necessary, from their pov). And they have lived on a disability settlement in the past. But this particular family is not really my main question here. However, the way they were acting made us more concerned about liability issues with the ice and snow.

It's snowing again today, and it's still snowing. We shoveled and put salt down on the steps and the part of the driveway leading up to the steps. I went out again to shovel (only two kids here so far + DD). But I have another family dropping off at noon. What if I can't get out again?

I let the noon mom know that I'd done my best but that I couldn't guarantee I'd get out again. What is my responsibility here? It's still snowing lightly but sticking.
I don't know anything in regards to your responsibility or liability but I do inform all parents on days that it is snowing or icy that they must be very cautious when utilizing my driveway and walkway to the door! I send via text or BrightWheel so I have the proof that they have all been notified that they should take extra precaution and that due to supervision risks I can't always get it cleared out properly therefore they are entering at their own risk and understand that they must be cautious! I also have in all my forms that safety is paramount and I do everything possible to prevent injury and that I'm not responsible for anyone's injury on my property! They pay all medical bills and handle things of that nature.
LysesKids 11:21 AM 01-19-2017

I actually have it in my policies that parents are not to use my driveway, but to park in the street right closest to the front steps... I let them walk across the lawn to the steps which has de-icer on them (front door vs back). My neighborhood privately hired people that keep the streets fairly clear. I'll ask my insurance lady what might be a better option considering she becomes one of my new moms next month ( new baby)
Blackcat31 12:01 PM 01-19-2017
Originally Posted by Sumshine:
I don't know anything in regards to your responsibility or liability but I do inform all parents on days that it is snowing or icy that they must be very cautious when utilizing my driveway and walkway to the door! I send via text or BrightWheel so I have the proof that they have all been notified that they should take extra precaution and that due to supervision risks I can't always get it cleared out properly therefore they are entering at their own risk and understand that they must be cautious! I also have in all my forms that safety is paramount and I do everything possible to prevent injury and that I'm not responsible for anyone's injury on my property! They pay all medical bills and handle things of that nature.
Saying you arent responsible for any one's injury is just that.
Something you said.

I am pretty sure you are still liable for anything that happens on your property whether your fault or not.

Not necessarily right or fair but just part of owning a business. Also a good reason to make sure that you have liability insurance.
Blackcat31 12:06 PM 01-19-2017
http://tomcopelandblog.com/what-is-y...weather-policy
Sumshine 01:35 PM 01-19-2017
Thanks BC! I keep forgetting to look into insurance. Google was not much help when I first looked into it before I opened. I wouldn't even know where to start or what companies offer it! Have any info for me?
Blackcat31 02:09 PM 01-19-2017
Thanks BC! I keep forgetting to look into insurance. Google was not much help when I first looked into it before I opened. I wouldn't even know where to start or what companies offer it! Have any info for me?
Assure! They are inexpensive and as far as my experience with them goes, very nice to work with.

http://www.assurechildcare.com/
Josiegirl 03:27 PM 01-19-2017
How inexpensive BC? I'm just curious because I pay 445. a year for mine and really have nothing to compare it to.
Mom2Two 04:36 PM 01-19-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Saying you arent responsible for any one's injury is just that.
Something you said.

I am pretty sure you are still liable for anything that happens on your property whether your fault or not.

Not necessarily right or fair but just part of owning a business. Also a good reason to make sure that you have liability insurance.
Yes, we do have liability insurance--$300K and a rider for daycare on our Am Fam insurance. I haven't switched to business insurance yet.

But the part about right or fair is true enough.

I ended up opening our garage door for the noon mom and had her come in through there. That skipped most of the step/walk way issue, but not completely.

I'm thinking to ask my families to enter through the garage if conditions look slippery at all. It doesn't completely solve the problem though. The one mom (wife of dad that slipped) told me that he slipped with his first step out of the car. Sheesh, guy sounds like a liability.

I asked mom to tell him to always wear appropriate food wear (snow boots) if conditions were not good. She said "good luck", but I'm wondering how much that is my responsibility if I say I require it?
Mom2Two 04:42 PM 01-19-2017
My email:

Dear Parents,

I would like to ask that if you are at my house and are concerned about wet/freezing or icy or snowy conditions, that you not use our steps and use our garage entrance instead. We'll try to have the garage door open, but if it's not, please let us know by text, and we will open our garage door so that you can come in our garage.

We also ask that you and your children wear appropriate snow boots with good traction if there is possibility of slippery conditions.

We will do our best to keep the walk way and stairs shoveled and salted but the possibility exists that it is sometimes slippery despite our best efforts.

This isn't something we will send further reminders about, we are mainly letting you know that it is always an option for you to enter by our garage in freezing or wet/slippery conditions and ask that you exercise good judgement in using safe footwear in wet/freezing conditions.

Thanks,
lovemykidstoo 05:02 PM 01-19-2017
I don't think you can get out of liability if it happens on your property no matter what. Just make sure you're properly insured and in alot of states if not all, your regular homeowners will not cover business.

We had ice last week and my one dcm is about 7 months pregnant. I saw her pull in and I had no other kids here at the time. I went out and told her to not get out of her car. i said no way are you being pregnant gonna fall in my driveway lol. I got her other child and took her in the house.
Play Care 05:19 AM 01-20-2017
I don't know how/if this applies, but in our area, homeowners have until 24 hours *after* a storm to have their sidewalks cleared. After that, they can be fined.

I have to wonder if this is a common sense issue. I can't imagine a judge/insurance company/licensing, expect me to be out mid-storm when I have kids to be shoveling, sanding, etc.

And I would probably replace a "slip and fall" family out for a buck. Several years ago during an ice storm I had a dad fall on my sidewalk. He was bruised but not seriously hurt. Had I not witnessed it, I don't even think he would have told me. I mean, what could he have said? "I went out in an ice storm and was shocked I slipped on ice?"
Blackcat31 06:44 AM 01-20-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
How inexpensive BC? I'm just curious because I pay 445. a year for mine and really have nothing to compare it to.
$502 a year for $1,000,000/3,000,000 coverage.

You can choose to make payments or pay the yearly premium in full.

I also have home owners but since I don't live here it covers my physical building/property only and doesn't cover accidents or injuries so I always buy the highest liability coverage available.
Sumshine 07:24 AM 01-20-2017
Assure! They are inexpensive and as far as my experience with them goes, very nice to work with.

Thank you! I just got licensed Dec 1st and I was hoping to have something in place by the first of the year. Dropped thay ball big time lol! I am glad it doesn't seem crazy expensive that's not too bad for a years worth of coverage and peace of mind! You never know with this day and age everyone wants to sue sue sue!
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 01-20-2017
Thank you! I just got licensed Dec 1st and I was hoping to have something in place by the first of the year. Dropped thay ball big time lol! I am glad it doesn't seem crazy expensive that's not too bad for a years worth of coverage and peace of mind! You never know with this day and age everyone wants to sue sue sue!
....and it's tax deductible
TomCopeland 10:22 AM 01-20-2017

You are ultimately responsible for anything that happens on your property. Taking common sense measures such as cleaning the driveway promptly and notifying parents to be careful are important. But, most important is to have business liability insurance that provides coverage for injuries. Having parents sign a liability waiver that says they won't sue you won't work to protect you.
Mom2Two 03:21 PM 01-23-2017
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You are ultimately responsible for anything that happens on your property. Taking common sense measures such as cleaning the driveway promptly and notifying parents to be careful are important. But, most important is to have business liability insurance that provides coverage for injuries. Having parents sign a liability waiver that says they won't sue you won't work to protect you.
Thanks, as always, Tom.
Sumshine 11:59 AM 01-24-2017
....and it's tax deductible
Even better! I went ahead with assure it was $293 for the liability coverage! Now if only all my other insurances were that price for a years worth of coverage!
Mom2Two 12:48 PM 01-24-2017
Even better! I went ahead with assure it was $293 for the liability coverage! Now if only all my other insurances were that price for a years worth of coverage!
Yeah, I'm finally going to do it. I'm switching to business insurance. I contacted Assure and also our insurance agent for a quote. I'm pretty sure that it's about $450 a year to go through American Family, but I'll see. I guess I'll get to drop the rider, which is $120 a year.
Mom2Two 12:50 PM 01-24-2017

Do you know if they cover transportation or is that just through auto insurance?
Reply Up