Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Teacher's Children - Do They Pay During Spring Break?
momma2girls 05:20 AM 03-25-2010
Do other daycare providers charge during Spring Breaks, winter breaks, summer , etc.? I charge the same during their breaks. Now summer I onlly require a 2 week dep. to hold their spot here to come back in the Fall. I am curious what others do.
Do your teacher's come during the week of the Breaks with their children for you to watch?
SunflowerMama 05:26 AM 03-25-2010
I have one teacher's child but they are PT (she is a sub) and I didn't charge her for Spring Break last week.
momofsix 05:26 AM 03-25-2010
I have 2 teachers, one will be gone, the other will bring their kids 1-2 days. It doesn't bother me as I have other kids anyways. During the summer they both kept their kids home, except for an occasional drop in day. I have a feeling I'll have the ones kids more often this summer, as they are toddler twins and quite busy, keeping the parents a little overwhelmed I have never charged a holding fee for the summer, both families are longtime friends and I enjoy having the break too, so it doesn't bother me. (I already know, not good business sense)
gbcc 05:31 AM 03-25-2010
I only allow one week off per year. Any other time they pay whether they are there or not. For teachers, I will allow an extra week if they are a good family.
Former Teacher 06:18 AM 03-25-2010
On Christmas vacation and spring break we would prorate the week. For example if it was 100 a week and the child comes one day out of that week it would be an extra 20.

The only exception would be summer which is full rate regardless. Unless they pull out of the summer. Then the parents would pay a summer fee plus a re registration fee.
momofboys 06:18 AM 03-25-2010
I only care for one family & in my contract they do not pay me if I do not provide care. The teacher/parent in my family has spring break this week so I do not care for her children & I do not get paid. Now during my kids' spring break her kids will also be off & she will be back to work. I will provide care during most of that week with the exception of a few days I had requested off months in advance. I also will not charge my parent over summer break; however, I am considering having her sign a new contract at the end of the school year & paying a fee to hold her spot over the summer. I am concerned that if she does not come back I could have been looking for new clients. She is not good at letting me know her plans. I was thinking of charging her a one week deposit to hold her spot.
momma2girls 06:25 AM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
I only care for one family & in my contract they do not pay me if I do not provide care. The teacher/parent in my family has spring break this week so I do not care for her children & I do not get paid. Now during my kids' spring break her kids will also be off & she will be back to work. I will provide care during most of that week with the exception of a few days I had requested off months in advance. I also will not charge my parent over summer break; however, I am considering having her sign a new contract at the end of the school year & paying a fee to hold her spot over the summer. I am concerned that if she does not come back I could have been looking for new clients. She is not good at letting me know her plans. I was thinking of charging her a one week deposit to hold her spot.
I used to do a 1/2 week rate where I used to live to hold the spot during the summer for them. Now I ony do a 2 week dep. which I am debating on whether I am going to keep that or not or go back to the 1/2 the weekly rate or maybe 1 week per month to hold that spot, which would be pretty much the 2 week dep.
tymaboy 06:43 AM 03-25-2010
I dont charge them. I liked being down in numbers, if they want to bring their kid then they paid for the day.
momma2girls 08:08 AM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
I dont charge them. I liked being down in numbers, if they want to bring their kid then they paid for the day.
You don't even hold a dep. for the summer so they will make sure and return to you?
tymaboy 08:23 AM 03-25-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
You don't even hold a dep. for the summer so they will make sure and return to you?
During the summer I do but not for the other breaks that they have. Actuelly I should say that I would charge but they usually bring the child a couple time during the week during the summer months. You know how the parents feel they can not get any cleaning or what not done when their child is at home I had to laugh last Friday cuz while I had kids here I found out that we were having an unexpected guest come Friday nite. While the kids were here I got the kitchen almost completly cleaned, cookies baked, pasta salad made, floors swiffered, laundry & dusting done. I normanly do not do any house cleaning chores when I have the kids here but I had to get stuff done on Friday before he arrived.
momma2girls 08:48 AM 03-25-2010
During the summer I do but not for the other breaks that they have. Actuelly I should say that I would charge but they usually bring the child a couple time during the week during the summer months. You know how the parents feel they can not get any cleaning or what not done when their child is at home I had to laugh last Friday cuz while I had kids here I found out that we were having an unexpected guest come Friday nite. While the kids were here I got the kitchen almost completly cleaned, cookies baked, pasta salad made, floors swiffered, laundry & dusting done. I normanly do not do any house cleaning chores when I have the kids here but I had to get stuff done on Friday before he arrived.
Can I ask what you charge for a deposit during the summer months for the teacher? THanks
tymaboy 09:48 AM 03-25-2010
I was only charging $50 for them to hold their spot but I think the next time I update the policy I will make it the same as if anyone wanted me to hold a spot. I dont charge much anyway just enough to know they are serious & that I am not holding it for nothing.
momma2girls 09:52 AM 03-25-2010
I was only charging $50 for them to hold their spot but I think the next time I update the policy I will make it the same as if anyone wanted me to hold a spot. I dont charge much anyway just enough to know they are serious & that I am not holding it for nothing.
Yes, everyone needs to do this- by holding their spot, you are loosing out alot of money- and that way they are serious as well.
Tags:spring break, teacher's children
Reply Up