Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Question About Being Unlicensed And Taxes
kdalla5 09:36 PM 01-15-2011
Hi, I am currently unlicensed in Oregon (doesn't require licensing for less than 3 children in care) but plan on getting licensed asap. I have been providing care for only one infant since September and did a w-10 for his parent so that she can deduct the childcare for her taxes. On my return what if any deductions can I claim on my return? Also, do I do a schedule C? TIA
Michael 12:57 AM 01-16-2011
Welcome to the forum kdalla5.
kendallina 06:00 AM 01-16-2011
Originally Posted by kdalla5:
Hi, I am currently unlicensed in Oregon (doesn't require licensing for less than 3 children in care) but plan on getting licensed asap. I have been providing care for only one infant since September and did a w-10 for his parent so that she can deduct the childcare for her taxes. On my return what if any deductions can I claim on my return? Also, do I do a schedule C? TIA
Hi. You can claim the same deductions that a licensed home can. I'm also unlicensed (I can have up to 6 in Ohio without a license) and the taxes are no different. I would strongly recommend one of Tom Copeland's books. The tax laws (obviously) are pretty complex and even more so for Family Child care providers. Here's a link to his books. I have the Record Keeping and Taxes Guide. Those that do their own taxes should use the 2010 Family Child Care Tax Workbook and Organizer (which I should have gotten but didn't. Still might). Good luck and welcome!!

http://www.redleafpress.org/contribu...ContribID=2064
TomCopeland 09:35 AM 01-16-2011
A child care provider who is not in violation of state licensing laws can claim the exact same business deductions as a provider who is licensed. Kendalina is correct. Report your income and expenses on Schedule C. You may also claim a portion of your house expenses on Form 8829.
Tags:taxes, unlicensed, unlicensed daycare
Reply Up