Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Receipt Question
morgan24 08:54 AM 03-29-2017
I have a divorced couple that I watch 2 kids for and when they first started they both told me that they each pay for 1/2 of the daycare. It's included in the Dads child support. I signed a form stating how much daycare was for the Friend of court. They were in agreement to have a a receipt made out to each for their 1/2. Now the Mom has changed her mind and wants me to do one with the whole amount to her because she writes the check. I'm not sure what to do since I already gave them each a receipt.
Blackcat31 08:56 AM 03-29-2017
Originally Posted by morgan24:
I have a divorced couple that I watch 2 kids for and when they first started they both told me that they each pay for 1/2 of the daycare. It's included in the Dads child support. I signed a form stating how much daycare was for the Friend of court. They were in agreement to have a a receipt made out to each for their 1/2. Now the Mom has changed her mind and wants me to do one with the whole amount to her because she writes the check. I'm not sure what to do since I already gave them each a receipt.
If you already gave a receipt to each parent, I'd stay out of it and tell the mom that they need to work it out between themselves.

She has the checks to prove she paid if she needs them but other than that, I believe after issuing a receipt for payment your obligation is done.
morgan24 10:15 AM 03-29-2017
Thanks. That's what I'm going to tell her if she brings it up again.
Cat Herder 12:35 PM 03-29-2017
I agree with BC.

I would also set up separate accounts for each parent and have them each pay you directly since that is what was agreed to.

It is easier to only contract with one parent, but going backwards seems really unfair to DCD.

Out of curiosity, what is your plan if one does not pay their half?
grandmom 03:06 PM 03-29-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I agree with BC.

I would also set up separate accounts for each parent and have them each pay you directly since that is what was agreed to.

It is easier to only contract with one parent, but going backwards seems really unfair to DCD.

I disagree with each asking each parent to pay half. Because of your last question Cat Herder. What happens when one doesn't pay? I would require payment from one parent, provide one receipt, and let them work it out.
Cat Herder 03:52 PM 03-29-2017
I signed a form stating how much daycare was for the Friend of court. They were in agreement to have a a receipt made out to each for their 1/2. Now the Mom has changed her mind
Originally Posted by grandmom:
I disagree with each asking each parent to pay half. Because of your last question Cat Herder. What happens when one doesn't pay? I would require payment from one parent, provide one receipt, and let them work it out.
I do the same thing you do. I understood OP to say she was contracted to the FOC to provide each parent with a receipt for 50% of tuition paid. I very well may have read it wrong.
morgan24 04:38 PM 03-29-2017
I agree with BC.

The Dads payment is in his child support and taken out of his check each week. The Mom pays me both of their share in a check from her. I don't charge for my sick days or days off I take so she gets to keep his share of the child care. It's unfair to the Dad.
morgan24 04:44 PM 03-29-2017
I do the same thing you do. I understood OP to say she was contracted to the FOC to provide each parent with a receipt for 50% of tuition paid. I very well may have read it wrong.
I'm not contracted with the FOC for the receipts. I signed a paper saying what I charge per week so the Dad could have 1/2 that amount added to his child support that comes out of his check. They both made it clear they each pay 1/2 so they agreed to separate receipts but now she has decided she writes the check so she should get the whole child care tax credit.
Cat Herder 04:51 PM 03-29-2017
The Dads payment is in his child support and taken out of his check each week. The Mom pays me both of their share in a check from her. I don't charge for my sick days or days off I take so she gets to keep his share of the child care. It's unfair to the Dad.
IME, the court takes all expenses into account to come up with a set number for monthly CS. It does not want a high conflict situation where each micro-manages the others expenditures assuming all will balance out in the full 18+ years. If child is not in your care on a vacation day, DCM will incur expenses with back-up care or extra groceries/activities, so not really a huge bonus for her in the eyes of the court.

My bet is that the parents were ordered to alternate years claiming the child on taxes (as is routine), making the receipts split a moot point.
daycarediva 12:32 PM 03-30-2017
Originally Posted by grandmom:
this is how I do it. NOT my issue how they divide it up.
Leigh 02:22 PM 03-30-2017
I would have told you to just give each a receipt until I read this. I only give receipts to the parent that paid me.
Unregistered 01:30 PM 04-11-2017
The CCTC can only be claimed by one parent. (the one that has the majority of physical custody) Even if they swap the claim for the deduction every year, the mom is "most likely: allowed the tax credit for child care expenses for the full amount that she has paid. (The amount of the checks that she has given to you) Where the money is coming from or if she is being reimbursed doesn't "really" come into play.
In your current situation I would only issue receipts once and advise the father that he would not be receiving receipts in the future.
morgan24 04:55 AM 04-12-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The CCTC can only be claimed by one parent. (the one that has the majority of physical custody) Even if they swap the claim for the deduction every year, the mom is "most likely: allowed the tax credit for child care expenses for the full amount that she has paid. (The amount of the checks that she has given to you) Where the money is coming from or if she is being reimbursed doesn't "really" come into play.
In your current situation I would only issue receipts once and advise the father that he would not be receiving receipts in the future.
That is how I thought it worked. I told them that I already did the receipts the way they wanted it so they need to figure it out.
Tags:divorced parents - receipts, mediation, mediation letter, tax credit
Reply Up