Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Did You Hear Me? Did You Hear Me? Did You Hear Me?
daycare 11:22 AM 05-18-2012
UGH..

Ok I have a DCK that I posted about with the tell me why poop thread. Well every day something happens with this kid.

NOTHING works as a consequence with this child.

I will ask please don't throw the puppets, they are for our puppet show. I will tell him a million times, so it seems.

He cannot follow through with anything that he is asked to do. (BTW he is 3.5) like go get your shoes on and sit down.

He is a very sweet little boy most of the time, he is not mean, he just seems really clueless all of the time. Or act as if he was from a different planet....lol

If I put him in time out for refusing to listen, he does not care. He is as happy as a bug, he will sit and sing songs, clap his hands out of joy. His emotion is normally always very happy. Even when he has hurt someone (which does not happen often) he is still very happy that he did. It's as if he only has one emotion and it is HAPPY....

As my husband said, he does not ever have remorse for his words or actions.

My husband calls him the space cadet, but not to him only when we are closed..

My question is, how do I help this boy? Or can I? Also, he has been with me for almost 7 months
Willow 11:53 AM 05-18-2012
Do his parents acknowledge there is anything going on with him?

Would they agree to get him evaluated by a professional?

At 3 1/2 the inability to follow directions and showing a complete lack of empathy or emotional connection at all to one's surroundings could be symptoms of some pretty serious stuff.

It's easy to gloss over such thoughts because of the happy factor, but when you consider low IQ, FAS, attachment disorders etc. early intervention is paramount. If he needs help getting it now might his only chance of getting on the right track.
daycare 12:01 PM 05-18-2012
I have thought about that, but I coup never suggest anything to this family in regards to this without certain backlash.

He not only does not listen to me, but the other kids either.
I feel bad for this guy because most of the kids don't want to play with him.

He's a very big kid for his age and very clumsy.
daycare 12:51 PM 05-18-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have thought about that, but I coup never suggest anything to this family in regards to this without certain backlash.

He not only does not listen to me, but the other kids either.
I feel bad for this guy because most of the kids don't want to play with him.

He's a very big kid for his age and very clumsy.
I was thinking about this for the last 20 min and Thought of a better way to explain the famiy dynamics of this child.

The parents are both very very successful in their careers. One is a CEO of a large company and the other runs their own company. They are one of those that have high powered positions, can run a company with no issues, but can't control their own child.

It seems as though this might be the case of NO Parenting and this is why the DCK is this way. It's like he is a 12month old in a 3.5 year old body. Before coming to me, the child had a nanny that did everything for him. When the kid came to me about 7 months ago, they could not even put their own shoes on, scribble on a piece of paper or open a book. So there has been major progress made in 7 months.

I am sure there are other kids out there like this, anyone else ever experience this?
Bookworm 09:37 PM 05-18-2012
I had a child like this last year. He just didn't care a out anything. No matter what, good or bad, he would just respond with a smile or laugh. He is in kindergarten now and the parents are having real problems with him in school but they blame the teachers. The only thing I could do was document the issues I had and let the parents know but they didn't want to hear it. Good luck with your boy.
Kaddidle Care 05:09 AM 05-19-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
It seems as though this might be the case of NO Parenting and this is why the DCK is this way. It's like he is a 12month old in a 3.5 year old body. Before coming to me, the child had a nanny that did everything for him. When the kid came to me about 7 months ago, they could not even put their own shoes on, scribble on a piece of paper or open a book. So there has been major progress made in 7 months.

I am sure there are other kids out there like this, anyone else ever experience this?
If you are seeing progress, then it's a good thing. When I read your first post the first thing that came to mind was that his parents are doing everything for him because it's easier sometimes. They keep him happy, they are happy, life goes on.

I think you will get better response from the parents if you let them know that because of his poor listening skills (perhaps he has an auditory problem) that his friends are not happy to play with him.

Ask the parents about what he is responsible for doing in their home and let them know what is expected in yours. Also ask how they get him to comply with their wishes. Do they bribe him or do they just do everything for him?

Unfortunately, this is the type of child that will slip through the system because he doesn't act out. He will happily sit quietly through school and learn nothing if the Parent's don't get a clue soon.
Reply Up