Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Reggio / Waldorf / Forest Kindergarten / Granola / Natural - Learning Methods>I think I'm More Montessori Than Reggio
AmyKidsCo 07:22 AM 04-03-2013
I'm no expert but from what I understand, Montessori is about using things the "correct" way while Reggio is all about free exploration of materials.

I love Reggio but my personality is SO Montessori! I keep biting my tongue so I don't say "That's not how to use that!" "Those toys don't belong there!" "That's for __________, not ______________"

I'm too much of a rule-follower, LOL!
LK5kids 07:59 AM 04-03-2013
Oh, I guess I am more Reggio, as I am ALL about the kids using things in their own creative ways....well as long as it's not crazy, wild or destructive.

I didn't know that about either M or R!
Willow 08:05 AM 04-03-2013
That is not my understanding of Montessori *at all.*

Can I ask where you got that impression?

Hoping BC will see this thread and give her two cents
SilverSabre25 10:20 AM 04-03-2013
Yes, Montessori does have a strong emphasis on doing things a particular way. It's very precise. If you go here: http://www.infomontessori.com/index.htm and explore, you'll see that the works are presented very precisely and the kids are expected to be able to do them in EXACTLY the way presented.

I'm a blend of both.
Blackcat31 10:28 AM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
That is not my understanding of Montessori *at all.*

Can I ask where you got that impression?

Hoping BC will see this thread and give her two cents
Yes, I have LOTS to say so I will come back and post more but I did just want to say quickly that the entire basis for the Montessori method is UNINTERUPTED play and play that is solely based on each individual child's developmental stage/age within the context of mixed age groups.

Everyone gets to be the leader, middle and follower at one stage or another.

Play IS work and ALL elements of academic education happens within play.

The child leads the adult in what areas/topics they are ready to learn about.

The site Silver posted is one of my faves to recommend to anyone interested in Montessori
AmyKidsCo 05:04 PM 04-03-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Yes, I have LOTS to say so I will come back and post more but I did just want to say quickly that the entire basis for the Montessori method is UNINTERUPTED play and play that is solely based on each individual child's developmental stage/age within the context of mixed age groups.
I'm very interested in what else you have to say about it! I'm a big advocate for play, but I also have teacher-led activities also. I'm just beginning to explore the whole Reggio/Montessori thing - when I first was introduced to them I wasn't ready to see the benefits but now I'm a convert; I just need to see how their philosophies fit with my personal philosophy and my program goals. (Plus I need to get over my OCD!)
Evansmom 10:11 AM 04-04-2013
But true Reggio has lots of teacher "provocations" which are times when specific supplies are set up and children are invited to use them creatively however there is some kind of premise or direction to it. They also do a lot of representational art which is using different medias to depict an object or painting or theme but within that theme each child uses the materials as they like.

Behind all of that tho is a lot of actual instruction by the art teacher on how to use the specific mediums (watercolors, clay, wire, paints) so there is quite a bit of instruction going on, it's not as free as some suppose. The children are taught the proper way to use the materials beforehand.

Also teachers do prepare lessons they are just themed around what the children have expressed interest in. In Reggio, teachers are constantly making notations of their observations of what the children are saying/playing with/doing so that they can help further their understandings of their interests.

I've been reading a lot of Reggio books . This is how it works in Reggio-Emilia, Italy as I understand it. I'm not sure how Reggio inspired schools in the US do it.
Tags:montessori, reggio emilia
Reply Up