Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Curriculum and Age Group
tenderhearts 08:23 AM 08-20-2013
I am going to be trying a new preschool program and like many others it is 2-3 yr olds and then 4 & 5 yr olds, well I have both, which one would you purchase?? I can't do both, they don't really do the same things so it would be too hard. I have mostly 2 & 3 yr olds and then I have a 3 yr old that will be four in Sept and a 4 year old who will be 5 in Nov. Now the 4 yr old I think would be fine doing the 2 & 3 yr old stuff since he's not really advanced but the 4 yr old I think it might be too simple for him BUT he's only here 3 days per week...So what would you get??
Cat Herder 08:33 AM 08-20-2013
I bought the younger kits, then supplemented with online stuff and things from our environment for the olders.

I let the kids take the subject matter in their own direction, once they have exhausted interest in the basic version.

IMHO, that is the only way to provide a structured curriculum AND a child led curriculum without breaking the bank. Two boxes checked.
butterfly 10:32 AM 08-20-2013
I do the opposite of Cat Herder. I order the curriculum for older kids, then adapt for the younger ones. But only because if I'm ordering, I don't want to have to research and do a lot of supplements to the curriculum. I always save any curriculum I order and reuse for future years, so when the little ones are older I could use it again as it was designed and not have to do a ton of prep.
iluvlearning 03:55 AM 08-28-2013
I've tried lots of different programs and always struggle with this issue. It is just so expensive to buy two programs for my group. I recently found a new curriculum called Gee Whiz Education. They actually have activities for all my ages from infants to school age in one curriculum. Their website is www.geewhizeducation.com. I've been using them for a couple of months and have been happy. Are you a member of NAFCC? If so, you can get a discount. Hope this helps!
Tags:age appropriate, curriculum - age appropriate
Reply Up