Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Ideas for Themes
Josiegirl 04:36 PM 07-27-2016
Does anyone have lists of themes they've used they'd like to share?
Do you use the same ones every year or change them out?
Are there some that are more fun for you and your dcks, than others?

Do you make sure you hit every aspect, such as gross motor, arts/crafts, science activities, pre-math skills, etc., etc.?
Thriftylady 04:48 PM 07-27-2016
Right now I have mine set to repeat. But I hope to add new things to the theme each year. I would have to look to see all mine, and most months I have a bug, an animal, letters and numbers, a color etc. So over the summer we have had camping, lightning bugs, butterflies, fishing, 4th of July, Memorial day, water stuff (lakes and such), frogs, lions. There have been more this summer this is off the top of my head.

So I try to do some crafts on the theme, get some books from the library, coloring pages, etc. I don't really put gross motor into it, but it is a consideration I hadn't thought of.
Blackcat31 05:22 PM 07-27-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Does anyone have lists of themes they've used they'd like to share?
Do you use the same ones every year or change them out?
Are there some that are more fun for you and your dcks, than others?

Do you make sure you hit every aspect, such as gross motor, arts/crafts, science activities, pre-math skills, etc., etc.?
I have a pinterest board for themes. If you are on Pinterest let me know and I'll PM you the link to mine.

I have a pinterest board for everything

I rotate and don't necessarily follow any type of routine.
Each year my group is different.
Even with the same kids due to aging and changing or developing skills/interests.

My state QRIS requires that lesson plans cover all 7 domains.
I include most of them (sometimes all) across the day's routine/plan but am unsure of how often the state requires us to meet each domain.

My lesson plans always score well for QRIS so they must meet or exceed minimum standards.
Josiegirl 02:47 AM 07-28-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have a pinterest board for themes. If you are on Pinterest let me know and I'll PM you the link to mine.

I have a pinterest board for everything

I rotate and don't necessarily follow any type of routine.
Each year my group is different.
Even with the same kids due to aging and changing or developing skills/interests.

My state QRIS requires that lesson plans cover all 7 domains.
I include most of them (sometimes all) across the day's routine/plan but am unsure of how often the state requires us to meet each domain.

My lesson plans always score well for QRIS so they must meet or exceed minimum standards.
Pinterest is only 2nd to this site in my obsessions. I would love to see your pinterest boards, thank you!
Blackcat31 05:23 AM 07-28-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Pinterest is only 2nd to this site in my obsessions. I would love to see your pinterest boards, thank you!
I sent you the link
Controlled Chaos 12:11 PM 07-29-2016
Can I have the link too? Someone suggested using Pintrist to help organize themes and collect ideas at a training last night. I haven't used it before but am interested!
Blackcat31 12:53 PM 07-29-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Can I have the link too? Someone suggested using Pintrist to help organize themes and collect ideas at a training last night. I haven't used it before but am interested!
Sure!

PM'ed you!
AmyKidsCo 01:12 PM 07-29-2016
Me too? I'm Pintobsessed.

I do very loose monthly themes that are based on the children's interests and the season. Over the summer we did Summer Fun: Yellow & Lemonade in June, Red, White & Blue & Fourth of July/America in July, and Watermelon & Ice Cream in August.

September will be Dinosaurs (a 3 yr old's obsession) or Space (the 4 yr old's obsession) depending on which one the other dck show a preference for. Or maybe I'll do both at the same time.
Josiegirl 04:25 AM 07-30-2016
Thanks everybody!
I guess I feel themes *have* to flow with the time of year or month, etc. Like apples during apple season KWIM? So when I begin to think okay, we'll do apples in Sept., but wait, I want to do bugs because right now the dcks are going nutso over bugs. (just an example).
I have a hard time with decisions, making commitments, and not thinking my other choice would've been better.

I know one year I had a great group for doing themed curriculum so I started with A, and continued on through the alphabet, picking a theme, sometimes giving it a few days to 2 weeks. A was apples, B we did Bears and Babies, I remember G and H coming right around Halloween so that fit our schedule. I discontinued it around Christmastime that year because life threw a wrench and I just could not get back into it. Maybe I'll do something like that again. As I said, I am not a decision maker.
KiwiKids 09:00 AM 07-30-2016
I've used this book when I've been lacking ideas:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/08765...SfL&ref=plSrch

This year I am using a monthly boxed curriculum because I know life is going to be very busy over the next few months and having everything pre planned will be a life saver.
Josiegirl 01:39 PM 07-30-2016
Originally Posted by KiwiKids:

This year I am using a monthly boxed curriculum because I know life is going to be very busy over the next few months and having everything pre planned will be a life saver.

Oh please, someone just smack me upside da head. I have this book. I had a bookshelf filled with books and donated most of them to my local CC resource library many years ago. I was in the middle of a cleansing cycle but kept a few JIC. So I looked behind all my other really important stuff stacked in front and voila!!

I also have these:
Planning Activities for Child Care(curriculum guide for early childhood education)
Early Childhood Themes Throughout the Year
The Instant Curriculum
(I tried copy/paste from amazon but couldn't??)

Thank you Kiwikids, for posting that link; as soon as I saw the book a light bulb went off. I think I'm just so used to coming here for ideas and going to pinterest, I don't think about what I actually have right under my nose.
KiwiKids 07:13 PM 07-30-2016
Oh how funny! For the record that is totally something I would do too!
Unregistered 08:52 AM 07-31-2016
I've done this rotation but change it up here and there...
Sept.
All about me
School
Friends
Apples-Johnny Applessed's birthday Sept 26!

Oct.
Fall/leaves/pumpkins, etc
Farm
Halloween

Nov.
Family
Thanksgiving

Dec.
5-senses
Gingerbread boy/girl
Christmas

Jan
Winter
Health
Polar animals
Hawaii and a luau

Feb
Dental health
Chinese New Year some years
Transportation
Pets

March
Wind/weather. We chart lion and lam days
St Paddy's Day
Kings and queens and castles and things
Zoo animals

April
April showers/umbrellas
Woodland animals
Occupations

May
Spring/flowers
Insects
Gardening

June, July, Aug
Fun simple themes like strawberry week, watermelon week, root beer week, ocean, sand week, bubbles, etc.

I have the water table & bubbles out all summer, we paint landscaping rocks outside all summer too. I also have a sand table I put some water in for nice sloppy play too!
Josiegirl 09:28 AM 07-31-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Sept.
All about me
School
Friends

Oct.
Farm
Halloween

Nov.
Family
Thanksgiving

Dec.
5-senses
Gingerbread boy/girl
Christmas

Jan
Winter
Health
Polar animals
Hawaii and a luau

Feb
Dental health
Transportation
Pets

March
St Paddy's Day
Zoo animals

April
April showers/umbrellas
Woodland animals
Occupations

May
Spring/flowers
Insects
Gardening

June, July, Aug
Fun simple themes like strawberry week, watermelon week, root beer week, ocean, sand week, bubbles, etc.

I have the water table & bubbles out all summer, we paint landscaping rocks outside all summer too. I also have a sand table I put some water in for nice sloppy play too!
Thanks, those are some great ideas! I might borrow a few.
PalmaHall 07:01 PM 06-12-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Sept.
All about me
School
Friends

Oct.
Farm
Halloween

Nov.
Family
Thanksgiving

Dec.
5-senses
Gingerbread boy/girl
Christmas

Jan
Winter
Health
Polar animals
Hawaii and a luau

Feb
Dental health
Transportation
Pets

March
St Paddy's Day
Zoo animals

April
April showers/umbrellas
Woodland animals
Occupations

May
Spring/flowers
Insects
Gardening

June, July, Aug

This is a really good checklist for ideas to try. Thanks for sharing this one.
sunlight 07:44 AM 06-13-2017
Blackcat can you please message me your Pinterest link? I will be joining my State's QRIS here shortly and need help with ideas!!

I would very much appreciate it!!
flying_babyb 09:14 PM 06-25-2017
January- Polar animals
February- Nutrition
March- zoo
April- dinosaurs
May- transportation
June-farm
July- water play
Aug- bugs and creepy crawlies
September- back to school
November- fall
December- Winter fun

I will admit, its hard to do a whole month on some of these! After two weeks of dinosaurs I was glad their extinct
cowen 11:31 PM 08-28-2017
Originally Posted by KiwiKids:

That looks a pretty good book.
Tags:theme - fall, theme - summer, themes
Reply Up