Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>In Home Daycare And Side Business?
Unregistered 04:26 PM 04-10-2017
I need to increase my income and increasing the number of kids is not an option.

I get a good amount of traffic to my google maps, website, yelp, apple maps etc. So needless to say I would like to have something else daycare related if possible that would work with the theme and under the daycare umbrella utilizing that traffic.

Does anyone do anything else on the side to pull in more income? Something that I can do from home?

I am non toxic, holistic, organic, small group, outside nature loving hippy lol Not really but kind of

Thanks guys for the advice.
AmyKidsCo 07:11 PM 04-10-2017
Are you thinking of a side job like Tupperware? For someone organic/natural maybe Wildtree sales would fit?
Unregistered 07:14 PM 04-10-2017
I am open to anything. But I want to make sure it fits my values and theme of the daycare. Like Scentsy wouldn't work because of all the chemicals in the scented cubes that are released into the air and they make me sick.
Mike 07:46 PM 04-10-2017
Side businesses huh? How many do I have? Right now I do mainly home renovations, but on the side I have a few things going.

Currently:
main - home reno
side
- website hosting
- woodworking
- camera and lens repairs
- tutoring
- teaching photography course
- occasional professional photography

Near Future: (I hope)
main - child care
side
- home reno
- website hosting
- woodworking
- camera and lens repairs
- tutoring
- teaching photography course
- occasional professional photography

The home reno, web hosting, and woodworking are actual businesses. The other things are little things I just enjoy doing and make a few dollars with them.

Since the age of 15, I've always had at least 2 things going.
Unregistered 05:17 AM 04-11-2017
Wow I thought I was busy. I do home health on the side, but the mean elderly dementia clients and special needs individuals are really getting to me. On top of lifting dead weight and ducking swinging clients. It pays well but it is taxing.

Trying to get my weekends back.

I have thought of selling stuff on etsy related to baby things that I know are useful vs wasteful. But the amount of volume that I would have to sell would be huge and not very scalable.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:37 AM 04-11-2017
How about starting a blog? You can tailor it toward parents and or providers. Give tips on activities, curriculum, business, cooking for kids, etc. You can monetize the blog with Google Adsense, Amazon and build up a side income to supplement your childcare. Let me know if you would like more info on how to start.
Unregistered 10:45 AM 04-11-2017
I have debated that. Can we chat?
laundrymom 10:46 AM 04-11-2017
How about selling crafts?
Unregistered 01:34 PM 04-11-2017
I am thinking of it.
jenboo 06:12 PM 04-11-2017
I teach full immersion English classes online to Chinese children. Early morning classes before the kids get here. $20/ per hour. You need a bachelor's degree. I work 20hrs a week and make around $1500 a month.
Unregistered 05:57 AM 04-12-2017
Really? I had 3 years of Japanese in college and I have my Bachelors. I have a friend that travels the world teaching English. I never thought of that, I will have to look into it, thank you!
Cat Herder 07:54 AM 04-12-2017
If you are good at writing lesson plans and creating printable digital content for classrooms, Teachers Pay Teachers is an option.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/

Also, with so many being forced to take courses for QRIS there is a huge market demand for essay, portfolio and lesson plan formatting examples.
Unregistered 08:23 AM 04-12-2017
Interesting never knew! Have to look into that too. Keep the ideas coming.
Cat Herder 08:31 AM 04-12-2017
Having a weekend table, at the local farmers market, from your daycare childrens organic garden is both advertising and a little income.

You can bump up sales by putting together little take-home craft kits, cutely hand-packaged tot snacks, potted plants you grow from cuttings and creative home-made toys and folder games.
CityGarden 08:39 AM 04-12-2017
I have not added an additional job while running my in home program since I am just getting established but while teaching I did...

TeachersPayTeachers - very minimally did not make much money as I only added what I made for myself

Tutoring Elementary School Children - there was very good side $$$ in this but not enough to quit my job and do full time

Jewelry sales via at home parties - I made anywhere from $300-$900 per month doing this very part time but I personally found I spent most of my earning back on product.

At some point I am thinking about hosting parenting workshops or classes on positive discipline or similar for a fee. A colleague became RIE trained and it's great because she host a Saturday parent & me class which creates a built in clientele for her daycare.
Unregistered 08:55 AM 04-12-2017
Thank you I will look into REI. I have been looking for more infant care courses but most if not all degrees and classes cater toward preschool sometimes toddlers.
CityGarden 12:00 PM 04-12-2017
In addition to complimentary side income you may want to evaluate to be sure you are maxing your take home pay with the children you have now....

Some ways to increase profits/earnings with the students you currently have:

Include (or add, if needed) Annual Rate Increases
Tom Copeland describes this here: http://tomcopelandblog.com/easiest-way-raise-rates
My rates are set to rise each September ~5%, that is listed on my rate sheet and on my website. It is not in the contract but my parents sign a new contract each year.... that said I might add it now that I realize the oversight.

Meals / Snacks
Food is a major expense. Are you participating in the Food Program? Many on here and Tom Copeland feel not participating in the food program is walking away from $$$.

If you are not interested in the Food Program have you considered having parents provide their own lunch? I have parents provide lunches and as of now I provide an AM & PM snack - we may reduce this to and AM snack only. I sell it to parents as a positive for their child.

Benefits to children bringing a lunch from home:
If someone asked my favorite policy, parents providing lunches would be it! I save both money and time having parents provide lunch and I am able to engage with the children without the added distraction of preparing food. I prep snacks in advance so kitchen time is really just washing and cutting fruits that need to be cut fresh. (I will add in my area parents are really high maintenance, wanting all organic, some have their children Paleo or following Whole 30, GF, etc. )

Switch to a tiered rate structure

The quotes below are from another thread but I feel they best express what my response would be about contracted hours / tiered rates. I initially offered contracted hours when I first opened as a way to discourage all day enrollment sadly my first family that enrolled from open to close which was not my intent. Luckily contracted hours saved me because utilizing them I am making $10 more per day than the highest home daycare in my area charges for infants and the one in my care is 2 so even though I don't love him here from open to close I am paid well for it.

Originally Posted by daycare:
You've all seen nanny de graduating fee scale??

Well I'm not going to post major details but I used to work from 630 to 6. After picking up her graduating fee scale with her help I now work from 730 to 5 and 99% of my kids are gone by 4:00-4:30. Yup one kid until 5, which that kid will be fine in the fall.

AND I make more money. If you really want help with it I know nanny de has a consulting business. It only cost me $50 to get her to help me transition to that fee scale which you can see is worth WAY WAY more than $50......
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I offer tiered rates according to pick up time.

I don't count actual hours in care because I don't care.

I only offer 3 pick up times. 3:00, 4:00 and 5:00.

I don't care what time a family arrives (they still have to schedule it so I know) but I open at 7:00. It doesn't matter to me if I have 1 or all 12 kids here at 7:00. I am working at 7:00 so makes no difference either way.

I ONLY care what time a child is going to be picked up.....so that I know what time I will be getting off work.

I set my old weekly rate (that used to be for any kid there from open to close) as my earliest pick up time (3:00) and added fees from there. The ONLY families that got a rate increase were those that couldnt pick up by 3:00 (it's amazing how many "couldn't do that prior to the rate change but suddenly could when I implemented the rate scale )

If families need a 4:00 pick up M, T, W and Th but need a 5:00 pick up for Friday, they still pay the weekly rate for 5:00 pick up. If they are off work at 4:00 M-Th then they have an hour each day they can do whatever they want. I charge weekly so breaking it down daily was way too much accounting.

I add or subtract to the rate depending on whether or not they are 3, 4 or 5 days a week. My "old" flat weekly rate is now what I earn for a 3 day a week child that attends only 3 days a week. I now work less hours and make more money AND I know exactly what time I am "off" work each day allowing me to schedule whatever appointments I need to outside of work.

I also operate on contracted hours so if a family schedules a 3:00 pick up and they don't pick up at 3:00, I charge late fees...even if I have other kids present still.

Make sense?

ETA: Oh and like a previous poster said... I "sold" it to parents as a way for them to save money and every one of them loved the idea!

I can send you the letter I used if you are interested.

CityGarden 12:03 PM 04-12-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
I have not added an additional job while running my in home program since I am just getting established but while teaching I did...

TeachersPayTeachers - very minimally did not make much money as I only added what I made for myself

Tutoring Elementary School Children - there was very good side $$$ in this but not enough to quit my job and do full time

Jewelry sales via at home parties - I made anywhere from $300-$900 per month doing this very part time but I personally found I spent most of my earning back on product.

At some point I am thinking about hosting parenting workshops or classes on positive discipline or similar for a fee. A colleague became RIE trained and it's great because she host a Saturday parent & me class which creates a built in clientele for her daycare.
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thank you I will look into REI. I have been looking for more infant care courses but most if not all degrees and classes cater toward preschool sometimes toddlers.
That was a typo it is RIE Parenting
http://www.janetlansbury.com/2013/12...t-into-action/

I did mommy & me classes with Janet Lansbury for two years with my dd and it was this AP mama's saving grace when I found it. I felt RIE helped me to be connected and responsive without feeling the need to be "attached" - it really is an amazing early childhood approach. It I did infants /toddlers only that would be my approach and I still implement it with my 2+ crowd where it applies.
Unregistered 05:55 AM 04-13-2017
I quit my food program provider and I am looking for another just haven't got that going yet, crazy busy. Unfortunately I don't get reimbursed as much as I used to at my other location.

As far as rate structure I like that version! I read a thread on here years ago about limiting the hours otherwise you will have parents taking up your whole 12 hrs and that is exactly what many did.

So I charge them for blocks of time and each kid has a schedule. BUt they do it within my 10.5 hr day.

I am noticing between cleaning, training, marketing and following up on new potential parents email, calling me, meeting. That I easily tip over 12 hr days. Which is not ok.

I may seriously consider a flat start time, then tiered rate based on when they leave starting at 3pm. Hmmm my wheels are turning.

I charge the most in the area for in home. I just did notice that the centers bumped up their rates again in January so I have been trying to change a few things and considering raising mine again. Really because I keep a small group. If I had 5-7 kids I wouldn't worry but I have no more than 4 and then someone is always waiting to start, so frequently 3 paying. When you deal with babies and wanting newborns you wait.

Realizing I have to tweak a few things. Great advice thank you.
CityGarden 10:55 AM 04-13-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I may seriously consider a flat start time, then tiered rate based on when they leave starting at 3pm. Hmmm my wheels are turning.

I charge the most in the area for in home. I just did notice that the centers bumped up their rates again in January so I have been trying to change a few things and considering raising mine again. Really because I keep a small group. If I had 5-7 kids I wouldn't worry but I have no more than 4 and then someone is always waiting to start, so frequently 3 paying. When you deal with babies and wanting newborns you wait.

Realizing I have to tweak a few things. Great advice thank you.
I think contracted hours could drastically change your quality of life.... and reduce some of the strains from this job. I recall other providers have switched to contracted hours instead of doing a price increase.... that was one way they sold it to parents. There are lots of threads on it here on daycare.com you can do a tag search for more....

Also have you considered a pre-enrollment program? I think it would work well for infants: http://thrivingchildcare.com/2016/02...lment-program/
Unregistered 12:20 PM 04-17-2017
Wow thank you for that advice! I have wished but doubted myself. You know what I will do that. Adding that to my site this week.

Thank you! that should over time help out and possibly save the business and you are right prevent burnout. I am tired of the roller coaster income stream.
frugalmama4 07:56 AM 04-27-2017
Hello, would you have a little more information on getting started with this?

Thanks in advance!
frugalmama4 07:59 AM 04-27-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I teach full immersion English classes online to Chinese children. Early morning classes before the kids get here. $20/ per hour. You need a bachelor's degree. I work 20hrs a week and make around $1500 a month.
Hello, would you have a little more information on getting started with this?

Thanks in advance!
Tags:side business
Reply Up