Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Head Lice Detected!!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:28 PM 12-30-2010
And so it happened...I sent a daycare girl home this afternoon with headlice (schoolage). She was scratching her head yesterday, I briefly glanced at her head (without moving her hair) and she said she had a dry scalp. Ok I thought and left it at that. Today she was scratching hard again, so I fliped up her hair where she was itching and OMG, it was moving!! She had several moving around.

So naturaly I'm freaking out in my head as I have 4 girls of my own. I was calm and acted as it were no big deal to the girl though, she's only 7. My own 7 year old daughter has been playing VERY close with her the past couple of days, under blankets as they were making forts yesterday, on her bed..laying next to each other with head to head contact.

So I got out the Robi comb I bought 3 months back when the school nurse sent my daughter home saying she had lice eggs (and she didn't) and ran it through all my daughters hair and sure enough, I got 1...just 1...zapped with the Robi comb on my 7 year old who was playing very close with her.

My family has never ever had lice before, I washed my daughter's bedding that the infected girl was on but I'm so worried it's on the couches she was sitting on or on my carpets..I know they can't live long off the head but they can live a little while (up to 2 days from what I read)...we vacuumed but I still have the heebie jeebies since finding that 1 on my own daughter's head....I knew, I just KNEW when I seen the lice that my daughter must have gotten something because they were playing so close the past 2 days with blankets and head to head.

Ok, done venting, sorry...but it took me by surprise. After I found the lice the girl said...oh ya, my baby cousin had them. When the mom came to pick up she mentioned they were at a Thanksgiving party with that cousin...that was a whole month ago so wondering if she has had them in my house that long!!??
SilverSabre25 06:34 PM 12-30-2010
yikes, and yuck. Lice are icky, even if they don't carry diseases or anything.

If I were you, I would go ahead and clean the heck out of everything, and check all the dck's heads tomorrow. You could read up on lice preventatives, too--like using hair spray and stuff, just as a precaution. I would NOT however, treat your family, unless/until you see nits or more lice.
nikia 06:48 PM 12-30-2010
Ugh I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. I know how much it sucks. Clean clean and clean lol. Did you let the other parents know?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:56 PM 12-30-2010
Ya, we did start cleaning right away! Thankfully I don't have any daycare kids tomorrow! I got lucky and all have the day off! Woot!!

That Robi Comb is the neatest thing ever!! I always worry when I hear of an outbreak at school and it's good to make sure my kids don't have it...I'm glad I got to see the comb actually work, BUT it stinks it was in MY home and 1 on MY child! Ick! It's a little electronic comb that actually shocks and traps the lice in the metal comb.

I used it real quick on the daycare girl before she went home and it was zapping and trapping those suckers real quick!! I was really amazed! It's easy to take apart and clean...I made sure of that before touching my kids with it!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:56 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by nikia:
Ugh I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. I know how much it sucks. Clean clean and clean lol. Did you let the other parents know?
Yes, I notified the other parents it was detected in daycare.
nikia 07:04 PM 12-30-2010
Did you get the robi comb online? Does it detect eggs to or just hatched ones?
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:30 PM 12-30-2010
Originally Posted by nikia:
Did you get the robi comb online? Does it detect eggs to or just hatched ones?
I got the Robi comb at Rite Aid...it is also sold at Walgreens. Not sure if Walmart sells them but it's possible...they run $29.99 and you can treat the whole family with the same comb, it is very simple to clean.

Unfortunetely it doesn't kill/rid the eggs that's why I'm still nervous for my daughter as I found that one that the Robi comb detected, but you are supposed to use the Robi comb every day for 12 days so you can kill any newly hatched lice before the reproduce again. They can't reproduce until they are 7-10 days hatched so according to the directions of the comb if you use it every day for 12 days, the cycle will be broken and you get rid of the lice chemical free.

And it obviously works because it found one, very teeny tiny one on my daughter. I combed her hair about 7 times thouroughly. I plan on using it daily even if I don't find any more for a while until I make certain there is no chance we have it.
nikia 07:36 PM 12-30-2010
Thank you for the info . I hope you do not get anymore.
QualiTcare 11:02 PM 12-30-2010
lice is embarrassing for a kid who's old enough to know what it is. i got it in kindergarten and i cried when i got sent home. i caught it from a classmate and my teacher comforted me and i know (now) that she knew it wasn't because i was "dirty" but still - it was embarrassing.

parents are more in denial than kids though - obviously. i don't know why. lice doesn't know social status or cleanliness. anyone can get it. i got it again when i was in 4th or 5th grade and i remember having to cry/throw a FIT and MAKE my mom go get me some medicine. she kept telling me i didn't have it and i KNEW i did cus i pulled a bug out with my own friggin fingers (and eggs which "snap" when you squish them)! it's still crazy to me - i haven't though much about it til now, but i remember being in the bathroom where i was looking in the mirror and telling my mom i had it! it's like she thought i couldn't because she was so clean and her daughter couldn't possibly....

it's crazy.
Tags:head lice, nits
Reply Up