Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Business Checking Account
sahm1225 08:24 PM 03-27-2017
Do you have to have a business account? How does it work when almost everything I buy is time/space deductions?
AmyKidsCo 08:30 PM 03-27-2017
I have a business account that I use for 100% childcare purchases. All payments go into the business account, then are transferred to our family account. Time/Space items are purchased with the family account.

The more you can keep business and family separated (depositing into business account and 100% business purchases from business account) the better if you're audited.
TomCopeland 10:38 AM 03-28-2017
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Do you have to have a business account? How does it work when almost everything I buy is time/space deductions?
There is no right or wrong about having a separate business checking account. Most providers only use a personal checking account for business and personal purposes.

A separate business account can be useful to deposit all business income and write checks for 100% business items. But, since most of your expenses are business and personal, a separate account is not a perfect solution.

In an audit, the IRS will look at both your business and personal accounts.
Mike 04:46 PM 03-28-2017
Also, business accounts have higher monthly fees, so unless there is a good reason to keep business finances separate, it's just an unnecessary expense. I've had a few businesses in my life and only 2 had a separate account.
daycarediva 05:02 AM 03-29-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I have a business account that I use for 100% childcare purchases. All payments go into the business account, then are transferred to our family account. Time/Space items are purchased with the family account.

The more you can keep business and family separated (depositing into business account and 100% business purchases from business account) the better if you're audited.
I have payroll (for myself) directly taken out of my business account and direct deposited into my personal checking. ALL 100% daycare use items are purchased with my business checking. I don't have anything except for bills under T/S% really.

Originally Posted by Mike:
Also, business accounts have higher monthly fees, so unless there is a good reason to keep business finances separate, it's just an unnecessary expense. I've had a few businesses in my life and only 2 had a separate account.
Get a better bank! My business account is free.
sahm1225 09:24 AM 03-29-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I have payroll (for myself) directly taken out of my business account and direct deposited into my personal checking. ALL 100% daycare use items are purchased with my business checking. I don't have anything except for bills under T/S% really.

Mine is free at chase bank.
Daycare diva - di you issue yourself a. W2?
MarinaVanessa 09:55 AM 03-29-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

My business account used to be free then they started charging me $15 a month (at Chase).

I like having separate accounts because all of my daycare income goes into that and I can pay 100% business things straight out of that account so keeping track of expenses is easier for me.

My income goes into that account, I transfer 10% of the deposit to my business savings account, transfer what I need to my personal account, transfer another 10-15% to my IRA (all from my mobile app). Doing this helps me organize my finances better.
Tags:business account
Reply Up