Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas How To Stop Illness From Constantly Coming In?
Country Kids 06:38 AM 04-13-2012
There has been so much sickness here, I'm starting to not know what to do. I have told the parents I'm sorry that I seem to pick up everything there children bring here and that I'm getting sick and having to miss but.........please do let me know when your child is sick.

Over the weekend some of my family came down with the flu. HHHMMM no one has beens sick in the childcare. Sunday night texts come in from two parents. One child has been sick and throwing up since Friday and still is and the other one had started that morning. Lovely, I think. Monday and Tuesday, I'm down and out. Wednesday, feel 100% better but find out from a parent that a child had been sick-throwing up over the weekend starting Sat. morning. I was dumbfounded as when I texted everyone I was told everyone was great in the family! Then I find out that another one won't be in attendance do to being sick since Monday.

Fast forward to las night. Receive text from parent of child that hasn't been here this week due to sickness. Confirmed by doctor-1 ear infection, needs an inhaler, and pink eye! Wow, is all I can think. I feel because this is the sweetest child and I know they are feeling horrible-.

This though is my second pink eye in a matter of 2 weeks and 4 cases of flu in a week! I also have parents upset because I keep getting sick but seriously this is what keeps coming into the childcare.

I'm not sure what to do. We wash hands, wipe things down, sanitize, keep windows open, keep the house cooler. Not sure if we are missing something or what but I've got to find a way to stop all this from coming into my house. I know they are getting things from the store, parents, siblings, etc. but I need it to stop at my door and not enter here anymore. Also, we have not had a warmer winter here like everyone else. Its been very cold and rainy all winter. Last week we had freeze warnings.

Does anyone have any idea?
Country Kids 07:20 AM 04-13-2012
Also, I usually try and keep the parents up to date on illnesses that are going through here. I never mention names though.

Since the child that has pink eye hasn't been here this week should I even say anything. They were here last week when the flu outbreak started so I'm not sure.

With it being our 2nd case in a matter of weeks, I'm leaning towards telling them just so everyone can keep watching their child for it.
SunshineMama 07:27 AM 04-13-2012
I'm just as curious as you are- I feel like, no matter how much I sanitize they get sick anyway. I do try to air out the house for at least 10 minutes a day if cold- and leave the windows open if I can, which helps a bit.
Country Kids 07:36 AM 04-13-2012
Even though it gets chilly, I turn my heat down and open windows most of the morning. Even if its a crack. I wipe things down constantly and wash the hands.

I guess whats really bothering me also, is my health is being effected constantly and parents are upset with me about this. I'm human though, not a robot.
daycare 07:46 AM 04-13-2012
maybe you are over sanitizing?? lol

what are the ages of your kids??
Country Kids 08:04 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:

The ages are all 3 and 4's.
daycare 08:07 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
so they are not mouthing the toys right?

I would tell parents each and every time anything comes down.

Hello parents, today your child was exposed to another child that was vomiting while in daycare. Please keep a watchful eye on your child. Should they develop any signs of illness, please keep them home.

Also are you opening up your house at the end of each day to air it out? even if its only for 15 min?
Country Kids 08:11 AM 04-13-2012
so they are not mouthing the toys right?

I would tell parents each and every time anything comes down.

Hello parents, today your child was exposed to another child that was vomiting while in daycare. Please keep a watchful eye on your child. Should they develop any signs of illness, please keep them home.

Also are you opening up your house at the end of each day to air it out? even if its only for 15 min?
No mouthing but one is a thumb sucker.

I keep my windows open constantly, even a little bit.
daycare 08:18 AM 04-13-2012
No mouthing but one is a thumb sucker.

I keep my windows open constantly, even a little bit.
are these all Mac Donalds babies??
Country Kids 08:24 AM 04-13-2012
Very few McDonalds babies, maybe only like 1. Very healthy families, taking vitamins, runners, workout types.
daycare 08:36 AM 04-13-2012
Very few McDonalds babies, maybe only like 1. Very healthy families, taking vitamins, runners, workout types.
sorry for all of the questions....were they in daycare as babies are did they start later?

I find that children who start childcare as babies have built a pretty good immune system by the time they are about 2-2.5. the only DCK that gets sick here is the one that is 2 and they just recently started care for the first time ever.

I really don't know what to tell ya. The hard part is that most children are contagious before symptoms even show. By the time that they show, they have already passed it on to everyone else.

I would just highly encourage tons of hand washing.
WImom 10:36 AM 04-13-2012
WOW, I'm shocked with that much illness with those ages. That's the ages here and we've just had two bouts of colds gone through this winter and that's it. One child had the stomach flu on a monday morning so not thinking she got it here and noone else got it.

Do you have carpet? Maybe clean that?? Soft toys, chairs? Get those cleaned and remove for a while.

I'd almost be tempted to term everyone and start over! (I KNOW you can't do this but I'm sure you've thought of it)

Sorry your going through this.
SunshineMama 11:14 AM 04-13-2012
Another thing I do is make everyone wash hands immediately upon arrival, before they touch anything.

Try a 1000mg vitamin C supplement and a B-complex before bedtime. Good luck!
Countrygal 12:57 PM 04-13-2012
I'm having a similar problem, and his gp and I have pretty much pinned it down to the fact that he gets sick when spends a weekend with his mom. He normally is with the gp's.

I guess there's not much I can do about that except be extra careful with him. His mom obviously doesn't know how to take care of health practices for youngsters. Might be some stress involved as well. But whatever he contracts, all of us seem to come down with it to some degree.
Soupyszoo 01:26 PM 04-13-2012

I know it sounds a little strange but could it be true?? I was doing everything you mentioned and had the same problems. I relaxed a little and "knock on wood" I've had less sicknesses.
SunshineMama 01:28 PM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by Soupyszoo:
I know it sounds a little strange but could it be true?? I was doing everything you mentioned and had the same problems. I relaxed a little and "knock on wood" I've had less sicknesses.
I do know that if you over sanitize you kill the good bacteria with the bad.
daycare 01:32 PM 04-13-2012
my husband works in the medical field and he says it is possible to over sanitize and disinfect. He said that adults and children both need a certain amount of germ exposure. This is because your body cannot gear up nor build up its' defenses without some sort exposure to germs .

he is no scientist, but I believe him
Reply Up