Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Free Week? Teacher's Kids? Vacations?
MissAnn 02:53 PM 01-11-2011
I own a family home program. Recently, prospective parents have been asking me for a free week each year. Do any of you do this? I do have a one week vacation each summer....but that has become a joke. Teacher's kids are not enrolled in the summers and I do not charge partime my vacation....opting to charge $5 per day more instead. I would like to know how you handle fees with teachers. Right now I am charging 1/2 price for Fall, Christmas and Spring breaks. That would add up to 2 free weeks for them while I do none of this for my year round parents. Do you give teachers any special breaks? I am thinking that they can pay like everyone else. I realize I am rambling....but I'd like to know your thoughts and ideas.
Francine 03:11 PM 01-11-2011
I'm probably not going to be the norm here but I allow them to take either Christmas break or Spring break off free of charge. Summer they have to come to daycare at least one day per week ( I know, not much) to save their spot. All other days off during the school year are paid days.
AnythingsPossible 03:17 PM 01-11-2011
I am of an unpopular mind set. I don't charge teachers for the time that they aren't here. Mainly because I know with plenty of notice that they won't be here. If any of my other parents were to come to me a year in advance and say we won't be here x and x days, I wouldn't charge them either. I also don't charge for maternity leave. Yes it can be financially troublesome, but I chose to do it this way because frankly I enjoy the bit of a break from my full group of kids. Also, since I know I won't be getting full time pay year round, I have a limited number of spots that I utilize for teachers children. I plan out my year so that a portion of each of their checks go into savings to help make it through the summer. I'm just more comfortable running my business this way.
MissAnn 03:19 PM 01-11-2011
I like the idea of them having one of the breaks free. Christmas is 2 weeks though....so they could chose one of the Christmas weeks free. Thanks!
Lilbutterflie 04:02 PM 01-11-2011
Any time any of the kids will be gone for 1-2 weeks, they still have to pay. Extended leave (for full time children only) is considered being gone from 2-12 weeks, and half price pay is expected during that time to hold the spot (they can bring their child two days a week at this price) So, for a teacher, this would translate to paying in full for Spring, Christmas, & Thanksgiving breaks (they are more than welcome to bring their child all 5 days). The summer would be half price (up to 12 weeks) in which they could bring their child 2 days a week. I also want to add that I myself do not get any paid vacation days or sick days. Any days that I take off myself are refunded to the client.
e.j. 04:09 PM 01-11-2011
My policy is that all parents pay full tuition unless I make the decision to close the day care. I can't afford to give teachers special breaks. I've always explained to teachers who ask for summers off that I can't afford to hold their spot for them and not get paid for it. I need to maintain an income because I still have bills to pay. If they want to leave for the summer and not pay tuition, I would either have to close the day care and get a job elsewhere or fill their spots as soon as possible. I've always given them a choice - pay full price for their spots during the summer and be guaranteed a spot in the Fall or take the chance that I won't be able to fill their spots and hope they're still available in the Fall. All of my teachers have chosen to pay full price to keep their spots. Some welcome time to themselves and bring their kids to day care since they're paying for it. Others choose to pay full tuition but bring their kids here and there when they need care.

I do take 3 weeks of vacation, though - all unpaid. One of those weeks falls between Christmas and New Years so teachers (and everyone else) get one free week off during the school year. The other two weeks of my vacation are taken during the summer so if teachers are still using me for day care, they take those 2 weeks free as well.
jojosmommy 10:27 AM 01-12-2011
In our area many many providers offer teachers a contracted rate where they do not have to pay when there is no school. Some providers actually only run on school days (serving only teachers kids) leaving them with no daycare kids on breaks and during the summer. Because so many other providers do that here I have had to do it also. And after 1 yr of doing that it is nice to have a couple less kids on the days off. I just plan ahead and either list a summer only opening to fill their spots or save money ahead of time. We also have a huge community of shift workers because of Mayo Clinic so many providers allow kids to come day night and overnight up to 12 hours or more at a time.
Live and Learn 11:21 AM 01-12-2011
[quote=jojosmommy;71187]Some providers actually only run on school days (serving only teachers kids) leaving them with no daycare kids on breaks and during the summer. [/QUOTE

This is me. I charge a higher rate throughout the year and take summers off with my teachers!
momma2girls 12:33 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by kareng:
I own a family home program. Recently, prospective parents have been asking me for a free week each year. Do any of you do this? I do have a one week vacation each summer....but that has become a joke. Teacher's kids are not enrolled in the summers and I do not charge partime my vacation....opting to charge $5 per day more instead. I would like to know how you handle fees with teachers. Right now I am charging 1/2 price for Fall, Christmas and Spring breaks. That would add up to 2 free weeks for them while I do none of this for my year round parents. Do you give teachers any special breaks? I am thinking that they can pay like everyone else. I realize I am rambling....but I'd like to know your thoughts and ideas.
I have all teacher's now, and I give 1/2 the normal weekly rate for xmas break, and Spring break. But be aware, that the paid Holidays should come first. I charged new year's and New Year's day at full price and the other 3 days at 1/2 price.
momma2girls 12:37 PM 01-12-2011
Originally Posted by WyoDaycareMom:
I am of an unpopular mind set. I don't charge teachers for the time that they aren't here. Mainly because I know with plenty of notice that they won't be here. If any of my other parents were to come to me a year in advance and say we won't be here x and x days, I wouldn't charge them either. I also don't charge for maternity leave. Yes it can be financially troublesome, but I chose to do it this way because frankly I enjoy the bit of a break from my full group of kids. Also, since I know I won't be getting full time pay year round, I have a limited number of spots that I utilize for teachers children. I plan out my year so that a portion of each of their checks go into savings to help make it through the summer. I'm just more comfortable running my business this way.
I know if I didn't only charge them 1/2 the rate, 2 of my teacher's children would be here, the same time, everyday of their breaks. So I decided this yr. I would give it to them at 1/2 price.
I had written a note, saying something like, since you are off school, and I know how precious your time is off, and you would like to spend it home with your own precious child, I am offering Spring, and winter breaks at 1/2 price. This doesn't inc. New Year's Eve and New year's day though, they are paid at reg. price. It's worded a little bit different, but this is kind of what I had written down for them.
Tags:teacher, time off, vacation
Reply Up