Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SC Laws Concerning Employment
swedishfish 04:23 PM 03-23-2010
Does anyone know on what crime would prohibit me from working at a daycare center? I was convicted of swindling 10 years ago. The owner of the restaurant pinned the crime on me and my co workers for which we were unable to disprove. Would this stop me from working?
missnikki 07:02 AM 03-24-2010
That one is up to the particular center. Most of the time, centers are looking for any crime involving the obvious (kids, violence, drugs). Beyond that, it is law to fingerprint for criminal records, and you will be best off by bringing it forward at the time of your interview. Be open and honest. I have been in the position to decide between 2 applicants, one had been charged with a DUI(drunk driving) 5 years prior, had all the classes and some expereince, and the other was young and fresh out of school, would have been cheaper to hire, no record...etc. I chose the first one due to the fact that her honesty up front was appreciated, and I asked her if she would sign a waiver to allow random testing. She understood, I hired her, and she's turned out to be a blessing to our entire program.
Just be up front and explain yourself. If they find out after they pay to fingerprint you, you'll never get hired.
Crystal 07:11 AM 03-24-2010
You would need to check with licensing. In California, if you have a criminal record, no matter what it is, you are required to request and recieve an exemption to work with children. They are very specific on which types of crimes are not eligible for an exemption. And, it's up to you to prove that you have been rehabilitated and will not engage in such activity again.
missnikki 07:41 AM 03-24-2010
Crystal, You are absolutely correct. I work at a center, and have only had that happen the one time. It had been so long that I forgot the exemption! Thank you for catching that. As far as rehabilitation, that is the part where you need to be up front and honest.
MarinaVanessa 07:53 AM 03-24-2010
I agree that you should call licensing. If you are thinking about applying at a daycare center as an employee I don't see why it should be a problem considering that you would probably be working as a caretaker and not at a cash register or something. It really is up to the interviewer however so it's give and take. Ask to talk to the person who will be conducting your interview and address your concern. It was 10 years ago afterall.

My fince was a troublemaker as a kid and got into trouble at 18. He was on private property doing his hoodlum stuff and the police was called and he ran from them. He had actually been in trouble already at 17 for breaking into someone's garage and stealing a bike and a moped so they already knew him. Nice right? lol. Well they got him for tresspassing, fleeing and whatnot and he passed the background check.

I also know a provider that didn't have her driver's license until she was about 25 but would always drive. Well she ran a stop sign on the way to get on a freeway (she swears she did a California stop) and they pulled her over. She was arrested for driving without a license and she also passed the background check.

I think as long as it has nothing to do with child abuse or neglect, violence or drugs you should be fine.
Former Teacher 12:09 PM 03-24-2010
The girl that took my place happened to be a former parent. She was hired right away because 1. she knew the center etc. and 2. they needed a replacement.

Well I was training her and another parent who worked at a hair salon came in with her son. The girl left to go to another room and this mother pulled me aside and told me that C was working at the salon but was fired due to her stealing the tips from the stylists.

I immediately told the director this. The director blew it off of course citing that she didn't want to hear rumors. Fine.

TX law requires a background check within 48 hours of hour. The director blew this off as well citing that we knew C and it should be fine. However she did do the check within week.

Come to find out that the licensing rep called and said that C served jail time for breaking and entering and robbery. This just happened the month prior.

Well the director said she wasn't going to fire her since it didn't have to do with anything with children. However she had ONE chance and if anything was found missing from the staff or center she would be fired.

Last time I checked she still worked there.
Tags:crime, felon, south carolina
Reply Up