Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas

Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas Post breakfast items, lunch items, and snack items that are all child friendly here. Each posting should include ONLY ONE meal option. The SUBJECT of each message should be ONLY the name of the food you are describing.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Orange2001's Avatar
Orange2001 Orange2001 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 24
Default Is There Anyone That Just Doesn't Do a Weekly/ Monthly Menu?

I just can't stick to it at all when I do take the time to plan it. I often use left over from the night before or just feel like making it easier then I had planned because of however the morning was or the kids moods. I do use brightwheep with most parents so they do know what they had just not ahead of time. Anyone have opinions or ideas to talk me into it. I'm not on the food program still working with licensing to set up home inspection. I'm in a really rural location and my inspector is about an hour and 15 mins away.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-02-2016, 01:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I started off doing weekly menus but stopped because sometimes I needed to switch up the menu last minute because either I ran out of something or the morning was hectic. I also use bright wheel but before then I was giving each parent a daily sheet and wrote out what we ate that day. I felt like I was doing double the work and making myself stress out if I didn't make everything that was planned for the day so I cut out the menu. Parents still know what their kids are eating daily because of the app. I don't allow outside food so them knowing ahead of time what I planned to make a particular really didn't matter. It's not like they have the option to pack a lunch if they didnt like what I planned to make.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-02-2016, 02:02 PM
grandmom's Avatar
grandmom grandmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 714
Default

I plan lunch - about an hour before its due to be on the table. Hmmm what's for lunch today? I can't imagine having a menu a month in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-02-2016, 02:40 PM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,895
Default

No plan. I just serve leftovers. Any planning is done the night before when I am making dinner and involves making sure I make enough for lunch the next day.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-02-2016, 02:53 PM
MsHannah's Avatar
MsHannah MsHannah is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 21
Default

In Wisconsin, we are required to post a menu for the parents to see. We are also required to keep three months' worth of menus on file for licensing to look at.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-03-2016, 04:38 AM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 6,066
Default

I've tried. I really have. I found there were always so many alterations I had to make, that my menus ended up looking confusing. I tried posting them on our bulletin board, dcps never checked them out. I do send home a daily note and that tells the parents what their child ate during the day.

Now I post my planned menu for the week, on my kitchen cupboard door. The FP representative sees that it's available and it makes her happy. All that usually stays the same(mostly) is the main course.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-06-2016, 01:47 PM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 2,087
Default

I do a 5 week rotating menu, but it is used loosely. It helps greatly with planning snacks and breakfast. Lunch is often leftovers from dinner the night before.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-07-2016, 06:09 AM
Lovisa's Avatar
Lovisa Lovisa is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 142
Default

No planning here. I just make sure to always have a variety of food in the house and I figure it out every day! No biggie
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-07-2016, 08:53 AM
MrsSteinel'sHouse's Avatar
MrsSteinel'sHouse MrsSteinel'sHouse is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,460
Default

In Ohio you must have a dated posted menu. I try to do mine a month at a time because it is easier. Fruit may vary and some days get flipped but generally it is accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-07-2016, 09:21 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 22,306
Default

Our meals and snacks consist of whatever I (or my DH) feels like making that day.

I am not required to post a menu for parents but the food program "suggests" that we do, however it still doesn't have to be pre-planned...so I just write "Today we had: ______" and fill in the blanks so parents can see at pick up what was served for the day.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-07-2016, 08:39 PM
LysesKids's Avatar
LysesKids LysesKids is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 1,790
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Our meals and snacks consist of whatever I (or my DH) feels like making that day.

I am not required to post a menu for parents but the food program "suggests" that we do, however it still doesn't have to be pre-planned...so I just write "Today we had: ______" and fill in the blanks so parents can see at pick up what was served for the day.
I understand that 100% lol; My parents have no issue with it that way
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-08-2016, 06:33 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 22,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LysesKids View Post
I understand that 100% lol; My parents have no issue with it that way
I used to plan things but then once you actually work in the daycare world, you slowly come to realize that the word "plan" is more like a suggestion or an opinion and not necessarily how things will actually go.

PLAN is an evil word.

Sometimes I have a hearty, healthy but favorite meal planned.

But then Johnny poos down his legs and up his back, while Sally figured out how to get into the stamp pads and is inking up a storm on Billy's arm. Janie, meanwhile is having a melt down because a blue car drove by and she's convinced that it is her mom's yellow mini van heading home and forgetting to pick her up. Xander is hollering from the bathroom that he thinks something "might" be wrong with the faucet since the water is pouring down the front of the sink and while he holds the door open to report this issue, Katie snuck in and thinks it's time for water/sensory play.


But WAIT!!!! I totally forgot to get the water started so I can boil noodles and I have no idea if I even remembered to buy cheese for the garlic bread......


What's that, Joey? You had "bahsketti" last night and again for breakfast this morning?

Ooookkkkkkaaaaayyyyy........

So yep..... PLANS don't always go according to plan.

But I try.

That ^^ (trying) really is what it's all about right?

(Unless the answer is the Hokey Pokey and in that case, I'm out. I had "bahsketti" for breakfast this morning and don't think I could shake it all about if I wanted to.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-24-2016, 05:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse View Post
In Ohio you must have a dated posted menu. I try to do mine a month at a time because it is easier. Fruit may vary and some days get flipped but generally it is accurate.
This is me too! Required to plan and post. I do love to plan meals & snacks. I post weekly but have about two dozen weeks of plans. I generally buy and prepare what is planned. Serving a lot of fresh fruit can cause an upset because sometimes it's not ripe till end of the week.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-25-2016, 02:21 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 6,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I used to plan things but then once you actually work in the daycare world, you slowly come to realize that the word "plan" is more like a suggestion or an opinion and not necessarily how things will actually go.

PLAN is an evil word.

Sometimes I have a hearty, healthy but favorite meal planned.

But then Johnny poos down his legs and up his back, while Sally figured out how to get into the stamp pads and is inking up a storm on Billy's arm. Janie, meanwhile is having a melt down because a blue car drove by and she's convinced that it is her mom's yellow mini van heading home and forgetting to pick her up. Xander is hollering from the bathroom that he thinks something "might" be wrong with the faucet since the water is pouring down the front of the sink and while he holds the door open to report this issue, Katie snuck in and thinks it's time for water/sensory play.


But WAIT!!!! I totally forgot to get the water started so I can boil noodles and I have no idea if I even remembered to buy cheese for the garlic bread......


What's that, Joey? You had "bahsketti" last night and again for breakfast this morning?

Ooookkkkkkaaaaayyyyy........

So yep..... PLANS don't always go according to plan.

But I try.

That ^^ (trying) really is what it's all about right?

(Unless the answer is the Hokey Pokey and in that case, I'm out. I had "bahsketti" for breakfast this morning and don't think I could shake it all about if I wanted to.
Oh YEH now that'd be a plan all shot to he!!. Calgon take me away.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-26-2016, 08:39 PM
lovemydaycare0912's Avatar
lovemydaycare0912 lovemydaycare0912 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 750
Default

I usually plan Sunday for the week that way I know what I need to buy for the week etc. Sometimes it doesn't go as planned, but it helps me to not serve the same thing like snack everyday.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-24-2017, 12:52 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 205
Default

I have theme days, and each day has 2 or 3 main dishes that I rotate through. Meatless Mondays, Taco Tuesday, Wacky Wednesday, Theme Thursday (goes with preschool theme) and Fish Fridays. Meatless Mondays are usually HM MacNCheese or Grilled Cheese Sandwiches with Tomato Soup, Tuesdays is Ground turkey tacos, or quesadillas, or bean and cheese burritos, wednesdays is HM Happy meals or left overs, Fridays is tuna sandwiches (tuna melts during cold weather) or salmon patties.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Jupadia's Avatar
Jupadia Jupadia is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Canada
Posts: 149
Default

I try not to. If I have a parent that only wants there kid to eat cretin things then I'll provide a menu so they can send food when they want (kids eat heathy but I've had a parent into the organic foods). Or sometimes when I have a baby who still has not tried some foods. (For them though I try to get and attend list of new foods that are ok and have parents keep meals here if possible (jar food) ( or something that will last a few days. Under 1 and they bring all their own food.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-17-2017, 07:28 PM
trix23's Avatar
trix23 trix23 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 55
Default

I have a 16-week rotational menu with meals and snacks all planned and recipes organized by each week. Anything other than this and I'd be making the same things every week for lack of ideas. I also eat what the kids eat, so I'm vested in it being good. :] I cook only breakfast and lunch and my family eats the leftover lunch (so I have evenings free!).
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-18-2017, 04:34 PM
Josiegirl's Avatar
Josiegirl Josiegirl is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Right here
Posts: 6,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trix23 View Post
I have a 16-week rotational menu with meals and snacks all planned and recipes organized by each week. Anything other than this and I'd be making the same things every week for lack of ideas. I also eat what the kids eat, so I'm vested in it being good. :] I cook only breakfast and lunch and my family eats the leftover lunch (so I have evenings free!).
I do find I make the same things over and over.....and over, sigh. But they eat plain foods. Noodles with nothing on them except butter and parmesan. Plain chicken, not even barbecued chicken. How on earth would I ever get 16 weeks of menus out of that, I'd be lucky to get 2 weeks of different things they'll eat. I've spent too much time trying to make new, different, yummy meals for them only to be throwing 95% of it away. I feel like I'm giving into their habits but it's what they'll eat. I keep foods separate, always offering lots of fresh fruits and veggies.
The ole frustrating meals dilemma never seems to end.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-19-2017, 08:45 PM
Madison's Avatar
Madison Madison is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 9
Default

I like to make a copy of the school lunch and follow that for a guide.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-20-2017, 08:38 AM
Lovisa's Avatar
Lovisa Lovisa is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 142
Default

No meal planning here at all!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-06-2017, 09:52 AM
debbiedoeszip's Avatar
debbiedoeszip debbiedoeszip is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 382
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post
No plan. I just serve leftovers. Any planning is done the night before when I am making dinner and involves making sure I make enough for lunch the next day.
Ditto.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
menu - monthly, menu - weekly

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weekly and Monthly Payments Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 13 08-22-2016 10:45 AM
Weekly vs. Monthly - a Poll Msdunny Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 31 11-06-2013 12:31 PM
Curriculum: Weekly or Monthly Letters, Numbers, Shapes and Colors MarinaVanessa Curriculum 11 05-04-2013 08:40 AM
Looking for Calendar Template Create a Monthly Menu Oneluckymom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 02-14-2013 08:42 AM
Payments: Weekly, Bi-Weekly Or Monthly? littlemissmuffet Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 11 11-20-2012 02:53 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming