Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fleas
JeepGirl6 02:02 PM 11-23-2015
I have a 2 year old little girl that had came with multiple flea bites 3 times in the past month. Her grandmas house is infested with them & whenever grandma wants to watch her she gets flea bites. I feel bad for the little girl but I am also very worried about her bringing fleas into my home from her clothing, diaper bag, blanket etc. I do not believe the little girl actually has any pets at her own home. How much of a chance is there her bringing fleas into my home from her grandmas house? I have 3 dogs, 6, 8 & 9 years old. They have never had fleas! I do not want a flea problem but I also don't want to upset the parents by bringing it up to them 😕
Michael 02:04 PM 11-23-2015
Here's a previous thread on Pets and Flees: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58569
rosieteddy 09:03 AM 11-24-2015
I would be very aware.A friend of mine has fleas because the Grandparents brought them from somewhere else.It is a real pain to get rid of them.She could bring them into your home and infest everything. I would talk to the parents.
Blackcat31 09:35 AM 11-24-2015
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
I do not want a flea problem but I also don't want to upset the parents by bringing it up to them 😕
You'll need to decide which is the lesser of two evils and go from there.

If DCG's grandma has fleas in her house and there was a chance (no matter how small) that it meant having fleas brought to my home, I wouldn't be worried one bit about upsetting parents.

I highly doubt they are going to be upset at all if YOU get them.
spedmommy4 09:39 PM 11-24-2015
That would be a tough case since it's not happening at their house.

Maybe suggest that it would lessen your risk if grandma days were occurring on Fridays. Fleas can't live without hosts for more than a few days.

A weekend would also give them the opportunity to wash her stuff. Alternatively, I don't allow the child's things to travel. I don't allow diaper bags. Blankets, diapers, ointments, and extra clothes stay here in the cubby. Blankets go home on Friday to be washed. Having them do this may decrease your risk as well.
Thriftylady 03:50 PM 11-30-2015
You can get some of this and keep it around the house. Put it in places the kids can't get easily under the sofa, under the beds. Get the food grade and it should be safe, but I wouldn't keep it where they could eat or play in it.
Unregistered 05:11 PM 11-30-2015
Are your pets on flea meds? It's required in our state.
Tags:flees
Reply Up