Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>How Do You Do Curriculum?
Josiegirl 02:54 AM 03-17-2016
That word has always put fear and intimidation into my heart. Like I should be doing this wonderful awe-inspiring program where children learn how to read and write by 3, all their colors/numbers/shapes by 12 months.....you know.

But a workshop once told us curriculum includes every thing we do with the kids every day, even the normal tasks of care-giving.

How would you describe your curriculum? I understand those who do MGT and certain ones like that. I did MGT and we all enjoyed it but do not want to put the $$ into that again. Nor do I want to create my own 12 month rigid schedule. So, because I'm older and lazy now how do you set up your day in regards to having the child play, have fun, learn, etc.? What does your routine or schedule look like? And do you have one posted somewhere on the wall or bulletin board so dcps can see it too? If so, do you have it broken down into half hour increments? I've always been flexible, letting the children take the lead as to what our schedule looks like, for the most part. Scheduled times include naptime, mealtime, and outdoor time, that's pretty much it.

Thanks so much!
Michael 03:27 AM 03-17-2016
Here's a previous thread on Curriculum Schedule: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61850
Josiegirl 04:08 AM 03-26-2016
Thanks Michael!
daycare 07:58 AM 03-26-2016
I make my own.
I set it up like this.

Whole week based off of a letter that connects to a 5 day read out loud. All of our domains revolve around the book.
So we read waiting for wing and a whistle for Willie for letter W.
Monday music movement and open art
Tuesday fine motor, early lit
Wednesday science
Thursday math
Friday dramatic play

All of it connects to the book and although we do these things every day, I am intentional about setting up each day one domain so I can record informal observations.

We also have daily circle time and 90minutes of physical movement throughout the day.
Laurel 09:34 AM 03-26-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
That word has always put fear and intimidation into my heart. Like I should be doing this wonderful awe-inspiring program where children learn how to read and write by 3, all their colors/numbers/shapes by 12 months.....you know.

But a workshop once told us curriculum includes every thing we do with the kids every day, even the normal tasks of care-giving.

How would you describe your curriculum? I understand those who do MGT and certain ones like that. I did MGT and we all enjoyed it but do not want to put the $$ into that again. Nor do I want to create my own 12 month rigid schedule. So, because I'm older and lazy now how do you set up your day in regards to having the child play, have fun, learn, etc.? What does your routine or schedule look like? And do you have one posted somewhere on the wall or bulletin board so dcps can see it too? If so, do you have it broken down into half hour increments? I've always been flexible, letting the children take the lead as to what our schedule looks like, for the most part. Scheduled times include naptime, mealtime, and outdoor time, that's pretty much it.

Thanks so much!
In 20 years I never did one or had one. Learning was just a natural consequence of doing fun things yet all the children were prepared for kindergarten. We did 'school' things but there was no rhyme or reason, no schedule. It was just as things came up. I might notice that someone needed work on counting so we would do some counting activities, etc.

For my CDA, when asked about it, I wrote up something that described what I did. I doubt I have that anymore to share. I think I called it a Play Based Curriculum and gave examples. Anyway, I passed that test.

At an interview, I had a small stack of photos that I showed to perspective clients. I included at least one photo from each area. A picture of them counting rows of those dollar store glass beads on the carpet, painting, outside water activities, art, reading books with me, cooking, etc. Then, if they asked, I'd explain my philosophy and tell them we fill our days with fun and hands on learning.

I really didn't have to inform parents per se. The children would go home with artwork or a little book we had made. Or quick comments at pick-up like "Jimmy had so much fun planting seeds today" or "Jenny counted to ten today without any help." On occasion, I would text mom a photo of them doing an activity. I didn't do that a lot because I didn't take a lot of photos and didn't want them to expect too many but here and there I think it really impresses the parents. Everything was laid back and informal.

Edited to add: As far as schedules, it was like you. Only things like mealtimes, nap times and outdoor times were scheduled.
kendallina 12:05 PM 03-26-2016
I have what I call a flexible schedule. I like knowing what's coming next, but the times vary a bit. Generally, this is my 'schedule' (all preschool-aged kiddos):

8:30-9:00 arrival
9:00-9:15 morning meeting
9:15-10:30 free play (snack is offered as a choice during this time)
10:30-11:00 small group
11:00-11:45 outside
11:45-12:15 circle time (music/stories)
12:15-12:45 lunch
12:45-1:00 get ready for nap/potty/wash hands/get cots out
1:00-3:00 naps
3:00-5:15 free play or outside/snack as a choice

Because I run a preschool I do have a curriculum that I do with the kids. The goal of my curriculum is to provide hands on activities that meet the kiddos where they are developmentally and prepare them for kindergarten. The learning we do is through open ended activities and play. We don't do worksheets or anything.

I come up with my own activities based on the kiddos interests-with the help of pinterest and inspiration from many awesome teachers that I've worked with in the past. I've been doing it this way for 5 years and now it's pretty fast and easy to figure out what activities I want to do based on what the kids are interested in.
Serpentine 06:23 AM 03-30-2016
Originally Posted by Laurel:
In 20 years I never did one or had one. Learning was just a natural consequence of doing fun things yet all the children were prepared for kindergarten. We did 'school' things but there was no rhyme or reason, no schedule. It was just as things came up. I might notice that someone needed work on counting so we would do some counting activities, etc.

For my CDA, when asked about it, I wrote up something that described what I did. I doubt I have that anymore to share. I think I called it a Play Based Curriculum and gave examples. Anyway, I passed that test.

At an interview, I had a small stack of photos that I showed to perspective clients. I included at least one photo from each area. A picture of them counting rows of those dollar store glass beads on the carpet, painting, outside water activities, art, reading books with me, cooking, etc. Then, if they asked, I'd explain my philosophy and tell them we fill our days with fun and hands on learning.

I really didn't have to inform parents per se. The children would go home with artwork or a little book we had made. Or quick comments at pick-up like "Jimmy had so much fun planting seeds today" or "Jenny counted to ten today without any help." On occasion, I would text mom a photo of them doing an activity. I didn't do that a lot because I didn't take a lot of photos and didn't want them to expect too many but here and there I think it really impresses the parents. Everything was laid back and informal.

Edited to add: As far as schedules, it was like you. Only things like mealtimes, nap times and outdoor times were scheduled.
Ditto!!

We count as we stack blocks, name colors as we paint, learn opposites as we play and use everyday play as teachable moments. I have one activity planned per week on a monthly schedule and the rest of the week we do whatever interested the kids.

For example we are going to glue yellow feathers on a duck shape. I will base the rest of that week on what their interest is; feathers, duck, creating a craft or the color yellow
Thriftylady 06:44 AM 03-30-2016
I fly by the seat of my pants a lot! I don't do any really heavy planning at all. I try to help them learn daily but if we just goof off and play all day I am good with that also! I have been working with my preK boy on letters and numbers and such. DH taught him right and left! He loves to learn and use what he has learned. I bought a dot to dot book. He loves them because he gets to use the numbers he has learned. So if I find what a kiddo likes for learning, I try to use it a lot.
Unregistered 05:07 PM 03-30-2016
I've used MGT. I now create my own simple curriculum!

7:00-8:00 Arrival
8:15 Breakfast
8:30-9:30 free choice play
simple open-ended but theme related creative art is offered during this time. Basically a few kids at a time

9:35-9:45 or 9:50 circle time-stories, and/or songs, and/or puppetry, and/or finger plays, abc's some days, charted poems to read along with, shapes, colors, just depends what the day feels like etc. I use lots of visuals and props.
10:00 snack - 2 snacks are required

10:20-11:30 outside time during good weather, shorter during cold. I don't do snowpants-ugh! We just use driveway!

11:00-11:30 music and movement, active games or second free play if we are not outside

11:30-12:00 homemade math games and manipulative shelf options

12:00 lunch

12:30 naps

2:45/3:00 get up

3:15 snack

3:30-5:00 outside spring,summer,fall. Free choice play winter

I add in cooking activities, I have art supplies available and playdoh, I have a small science area with simple things that rotate, we might play an interactive alphabet game, etc.

My themes include story, and art, and maybe cooking. I do LOTS with early literacy-charted poems, flannel board, rhymes, nursery rhymes, puppetry, interactive stories, etc. i do lots with sensory bins, my light table (which is an old overhead projector!) but literacy activities are my passion.
Tags:curriculum - schedule
Reply Up