Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I overreacting?
yodaone 06:05 PM 06-29-2016
I have a 6 year old and she has been lying about various things and I'm super frustrated about it.

She lies about things that she wants in hopes that she can get what she wants. When I address it with mom she just laughs and says "oh, I'll talk to her, but she does this because she has a friend that does that." or "oh, she's so silly trying to get what she wants."

I don't think it's funny or cute at all! Just as an example. I don't serve junk food and she's telling her mom I let them eat coco pebbles for breakfast all the time (um, no way--do I really want to set myself up for craziness right at the start of my day) or that I let the kids watch TV all day (which I NEVER have the TV on, ever)
I know these are minor lies, but I just can't stand lying.
AmyKidsCo 07:48 PM 06-29-2016
I'd try to figure out why she's lying. Is she looking for attention, hoping that if she says something is true it will become true (watching TV all day), to see how you and/or mom will react, etc.

If you can figure out what she's getting from the lies you can begin to figure out how to handle them.

Here's an article about why kids lie age by age that may help.
spedmommy4 10:14 PM 06-29-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I'd try to figure out why she's lying. Is she looking for attention, hoping that if she says something is true it will become true (watching TV all day), to see how you and/or mom will react, etc.

If you can figure out what she's getting from the lies you can begin to figure out how to handle them.

Here's an article about why kids lie age by age that may help.
. This exactly. I had a dcb (6) that was lying and stealing at my house and home. (He took silly stuff like my toothbrush timer from the bathroom) His mother took it very seriously and was mortified by the behavior.

Long story short, kiddo was just missing his parents. They consistently had him make amends and he lost privileges every time he lied or stole but it didn't stop. As soon as they switched from punishment to positive reinforcement (eg: a week with no behavior equals a special afternoon with mom) those behaviors stopped.
Tags:overreacting
Reply Up