Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
Josiegirl 05:05 PM 07-27-2013
WOW
I'm only about 170 pages into the book but it's one of the most emotional books I've ever read before. I almost had to stop reading it because of how descriptive it is and how sickening the things that happened were.
I've read Life In A Jar; The Irena Sendler Project and that was really good. I've also read Night by Elie Weisel. Again, a good read.
But neither of those affected me the way this one is. Even though it's fiction, the author has done her homework and makes you feel like you're there.

An amazing book. Has anyone else read it?
Familycare71 10:13 PM 07-27-2013
I have read all of her books - she is one of my favorites! And every book is like that- you learn while you read... She is amazing and really gets into interesting tough topics-
Refresh my memory in the story teller-
Josiegirl 09:12 AM 07-28-2013
Warning! Maybe some spoilers to those who haven't read it!!

Sage is a bread-baker, lost her parents, is having an affair with a married man. Sage becomes friends with a former Nazi guard(Josef) through a grieve support group. He asks her to help him die because he lost his wife plus doesn't feel like he deserves to live after doing all the horrible things he did. He recounts a lot of what he did and what it was like for him to slaughter the Jews. Sage's grandmother is a Holocaust survivor who may very well have been in his camp. That's pretty much where I'm at now.

I have all of Picoult's books except Between The Lines. I find her an exceptional author. There always seems to be a twist, lots of controversy, and you find yourself asking questions such as 'what would I do in that situation?' Even subjects that you're sure you feel a certain way about, she'll have you thinking a lot about the other side too.

I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite of hers. Sing You Home is right up there though. But Storyteller might beat it.
Familycare71 11:39 AM 07-28-2013
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Warning! Maybe some spoilers to those who haven't read it!!

Sage is a bread-baker, lost her parents, is having an affair with a married man. Sage becomes friends with a former Nazi guard(Josef) through a grieve support group. He asks her to help him die because he lost his wife plus doesn't feel like he deserves to live after doing all the horrible things he did. He recounts a lot of what he did and what it was like for him to slaughter the Jews. Sage's grandmother is a Holocaust survivor who may very well have been in his camp. That's pretty much where I'm at now.

I have all of Picoult's books except Between The Lines. I find her an exceptional author. There always seems to be a twist, lots of controversy, and you find yourself asking questions such as 'what would I do in that situation?' Even subjects that you're sure you feel a certain way about, she'll have you thinking a lot about the other side too.

I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite of hers. Sing You Home is right up there though. But Storyteller might beat it.
Yes!!! That was an amazing book . I agree- it is why I love her books so much! I even read the one she and her daughter wrote for young women
Not sure how far in you are but the end is quite amazing!!!
Rachel 05:36 AM 07-29-2013
Yes I read it a few weeks ago and I really liked it. It took me a while to get into it, but it was worth it. I loved the twist at the end. Sometimes I love her twists and sometimes I just sort of roll my eyes at them, but this was a good one.
MsLaura529 10:24 AM 07-29-2013
oooh, sounds like a good one. I just finished a book, and have a couple that I'm waiting for on hole from the library (to download on my Nook). I'm going to see if this one is available. Jodie Picoult is a great writer ... I think my favorite one of hers is House Rules.
Scout 04:48 PM 08-13-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I have read all of her books - she is one of my favorites! And every book is like that- you learn while you read... She is amazing and really gets into interesting tough topics-
Refresh my memory in the story teller-
I always look for her books as one of my first choices.

The most emotional book I ever read was also the easiest to read because it is all written in a journal format-Debbie MacComber "between Friends" and it follows 2 girls from birth to death(I think) and their life long friendship. The emotional part was that much of it is during Vietnam. I would sit at the kitchen table reading it and sobbing while I lived at home because I couldn't put it down! Highly recommend it!

Marian Keyes is my favorite comedy author and I also really enjoy Emily Griffin's books too.
Bookworm 06:25 PM 08-13-2013
After I read "My Sister's Keeper", I stopped reading Jodi Picoult because I couldn't handle my emotions while reading. For a good comedy/mystery series, try the Sarah Booth Delaney books by Carolyn Haines. Hilarious!
Sunshine74 10:40 PM 08-13-2013
My first Jodi Picoult book was Between the Lines (the one she wrote with her daughter) I thought it was a great light read- a nice YA book. The first adult novel I read was 19 Minutes. Wow, did that one make you think. I will have to pick up another one next time I go to the library.
Familycare71 05:55 AM 08-14-2013
Originally Posted by Sunshine74:
My first Jodi Picoult book was Between the Lines (the one she wrote with her daughter) I thought it was a great light read- a nice YA book. The first adult novel I read was 19 Minutes. Wow, did that one make you think. I will have to pick up another one next time I go to the library.
Yes- between the lines was a nice read. I definitely wondered about Jodi writing a YA novel but it worked!
Tags:books, books - jodi picoult
Reply Up