Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Breaching Contract Due To Safety Concerns
Unregistered 12:13 PM 09-18-2015
my child is being scratched and nipped at daycare. i asked the provider to isolate the dog from the children; she refuses. i pulled my child out and she demanded two weeks pay. i said no due to safety concerns. do i have the right to breach the contract on these grounds?
laundrymom 12:17 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
my child is being scratched and nipped at daycare. i asked the provider to isolate the dog from the children; she refuses. i pulled my child out and she demanded two weeks pay. i said no due to safety concerns. do i have the right to breach the contract on these grounds?
Her dog bit? Did you file a report?
maddad 12:23 PM 09-18-2015
not reported yet. this provider is an in-home provider with a total of 6 kids. i have pics and admission of scratches and nips; but she blames my 16 month old.
laundrymom 12:27 PM 09-18-2015
I do t know why the kind of provider or how many kids she has had any weight on it. If I were you I would have reported the first bite. Has the dog been vaccinated? Have you seen the records? Has he been secluded? If a provider is allowing a child to be bitten that is wrong. Period.
Blackcat31 12:39 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by maddad:
not reported yet. this provider is an in-home provider with a total of 6 kids. i have pics and admission of scratches and nips; but she blames my 16 month old.
There is NOT a court of law in the world that could force me to keep my child in a situation I do not feel is safe......

However, what state are you in and do you know what the regulations (if any) are in regards to pets in care?

I would never risk it but I certainly would NEVER blame a child for a dogs behavior when its MY job as the provider to ensure the safety of the children in care and if I felt the child was harmful or dangerous to the dog I would remove the dog or term the child but I wouldn't blame it on the child....

My advice is to report this immediately (if you share the state, we can probably help you with the contact info person if you don't know it) and send her (the provider) written notice that you do not intend to pay the final two weeks of care.

I am sure it would be easier to just pay the two weeks and call it good but this kind of thing really irritates me for personal reasons so as a parent I would not pay. I would report it to the licensor though and report that you have no intention of paying. I would invite the provider to sue me in small claims court before I ever willingly paid her a dime.
Heidi 12:57 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
There is NOT a court of law in the world that could force me to keep my child in a situation I do not feel is safe......

However, what state are you in and do you know what the regulations (if any) are in regards to pets in care?

I would never risk it but I certainly would NEVER blame a child for a dogs behavior when its MY job as the provider to ensure the safety of the children in care and if I felt the child was harmful or dangerous to the dog I would remove the dog or term the child but I wouldn't blame it on the child....

My advice is to report this immediately (if you share the state, we can probably help you with the contact info person if you don't know it) and send her (the provider) written notice that you do not intend to pay the final two weeks of care.

I am sure it would be easier to just pay the two weeks and call it good but this kind of thing really irritates me for personal reasons so as a parent I would not pay. I would report it to the licensor though and report that you have no intention of paying. I would invite the provider to sue me in small claims court before I ever willingly paid her a dime.
I agree with this..

I'd almost always naturally side with a provider and tell you to pay, but this is an absolute exception. If you refuse, the worst she can do is take you to small claims court, and I think she'd have a hard time getting a judge to say that it's reasonable for you to continue taking your child to someone unsafe.

I'd keep any evidence (texts, notes) just in case.
daycare 01:00 PM 09-18-2015
I agree with BC and Heidi.

No way would I take my child back to a place that I did not feel they would be kept safe.

can I ask for how long your child attended with these marks?
Thriftylady 01:12 PM 09-18-2015
I would not take my child back either. When did the bite happen? If it was in the last day or two I would contact animal control. While some dogs don't do well with young children, it is up to the provider to know that and to keep the dog separate. She can take you to court to get the two weeks, not sure if she will win, but many judges wouldn't give it to her I don't think based on the dog issue.
spedmommy4 06:02 PM 09-18-2015
I wholeheartedly agree with the previous posters. I have three dogs. My youngest dog is Yorkie puppy and she is the only one allowed to be around the kids. None of the dogs would be allowed near any child if they nipped, growled, or scratched. A very important part of a provider's job is to keep the kids safe. If she refused to do that, I would be very surprised if a judge held you responsible for a two week notice period. I also think you should file a report with licensing. Your little one may not be the only one getting injured by the animals.
nannyde 08:03 PM 09-18-2015
What do you mean by "nips"?
Febby 09:00 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I have the same question.

If there are safety issues, report to licensing. Most states would require a provider with six children to be registered or certified or licensed.
littletots 04:03 AM 09-19-2015
My licensed doesn't allow dogs, cats, reptiles, birds to interact with dck. Can't have dog/cat water or food bowls, toys, blankets, cat litter box on the floor where dck can grab them. But I realize not all providers are under same guidelines. I would file a report and let your provider know you have and you will no longer need her care. She'll get the hint you are not going to pay.

Update please. I'd be interested to hear what your county does next.
spedmommy4 06:46 AM 09-20-2015
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I could be wrong, but I interpreted it as a bite that doesn't break the skin. I have a Yorkie puppy and she only nips my daughter. My daughter likes to pester the dog until she gets the "warning nip." My dog doesn't leave a mark with her nips because she's still young but I have seen some "nips" that leave nasty marks.
spedmommy4 06:49 AM 09-20-2015
Originally Posted by littletots:
My licensed doesn't allow dogs, cats, reptiles, birds to interact with dck. Can't have dog/cat water or food bowls, toys, blankets, cat litter box on the floor where dck can grab them. But I realize not all providers are under same guidelines. I would file a report and let your provider know you have and you will no longer need her care. She'll get the hint you are not going to pay.

Update please. I'd be interested to hear what your county does next.
That's terrible! The kids who come here love my pets. I think I would turn in my license if California ever passed that law.
Blackcat31 07:02 AM 09-20-2015
Originally Posted by spedmommy4:
I could be wrong, but I interpreted it as a bite that doesn't break the skin. I have a Yorkie puppy and she only nips my daughter. My daughter likes to pester the dog until she gets the "warning nip." My dog doesn't leave a mark with her nips because she's still young but I have seen some "nips" that leave nasty marks.
I agree with that definition of a nip but ANY dog that felt the need to "nip" as a warning that they feel threatened in some way or nipping as a playful gesture is dangerous. Neither is acceptable in my opinion.

Also wondering what type of dog this is. A nip from a Yorkie is a lot different than a nip from a German Sheperd. I still think both are equally dangerous to a child but am curious about the breed/size/type.

That's terrible! The kids who come here love my pets. I think I would turn in my license if California ever passed that law.
I would never allow my pets in my child care.
Not only for the kids' safety but for my pets as well.

Kids and pets usually mix great when they belong to the same family but I dont think ANY state should allow DCKs and pets to mix.

There are way too many risks and I think the risks far outweigh any possible benefits.

The provider's refusal to keep the dog separated from the child baffles me.
If the child is at fault (like the provider says) then why wouldn't she want to protect her pet?
If the pet is at fault, why wouldn't she want to keep her DCK safe?
spedmommy4 09:48 AM 09-20-2015
I agree with that definition of a nip but ANY dog that felt the need to "nip" as a warning that they feel threatened in some way or nipping as a playful gesture is dangerous. Neither is acceptable in my opinion.

Also wondering what type of dog this is. A nip from a Yorkie is a lot different than a nip from a German Sheperd. I still think both are equally dangerous to a child but am curious about the breed/size/type.

Kids and pets usually mix great when they belong to the same family but I dont think ANY state should allow DCKs and pets to mix.

There are way too many risks and I think the risks far outweigh any possible benefits.

If the child is at fault (like the provider says) then why wouldn't she want to protect her pet?
JMO but typically pets are part of families . . . Family childcare and pets seem a natural fit to me. And sooo much of what kids do growing up involves risk. Learning to walk . . .climbing . . .jumping . . .

I received my graduate training at a Reggio inclusion school. I remember being horrified that they allowed 2 year-old children to use clay shaping tools with sharp points and tiny loose parts in the art station. Those kids never sustained an injury with the tools (in the year I was there) because they had been taught to handle them properly and a teacher was always nearby to provide assistance.

I don't allow ever allow my Golden Retriever near the kids unless I am strictly supervising. (within an arm's reach) She is not aggressive but she has the potential to knock the little ones down when she gets excited. My Yorkie is allowed free reign and the kids are taught from day 1 to use gentle hands. Kids that don't use gentle hands are corrected and redirected immediately. No warnings. Even the 2 year old dcg I have enrolled, who is horrible to her pets at home, is awesome with my pets.

I also work with a significant number of children with special needs, and I have seen huge benefits for them. (eg: increase in language, social skills, decreased shyness, decreased aggression) I have one little girl with a significant language delay who is only motivated to talk about my Yorkie. All this said, even a well trained animal has the potential to bite when provoked so children should never, ever be left alone with ANY family pet. That rule is never broken here.
Laurel 11:39 AM 09-20-2015
Same in Florida. No pets around dck's plus providers must have a parent fill out a form that they were informed that there are pets on the property. Providers also must keep shots up to date and those records are inspected as well.

Laurel
Laurel 11:40 AM 09-20-2015

Laurel
Laurel 11:51 AM 09-20-2015
JMO but typically pets are part of families . . . Family childcare and pets seem a natural fit to me. And sooo much of what kids do growing up involves risk. Learning to walk . . .climbing . . .jumping . . .

I received my graduate training at a Reggio inclusion school. I remember being horrified that they allowed 2 year-old children to use clay shaping tools with sharp points and tiny loose parts in the art station. Those kids never sustained an injury with the tools (in the year I was there) because they had been taught to handle them properly and a teacher was always nearby to provide assistance.

I don't allow ever allow my Golden Retriever near the kids unless I am strictly supervising. (within an arm's reach) She is not aggressive but she has the potential to knock the little ones down when she gets excited. My Yorkie is allowed free reign and the kids are taught from day 1 to use gentle hands. Kids that don't use gentle hands are corrected and redirected immediately. No warnings. Even the 2 year old dcg I have enrolled, who is horrible to her pets at home, is awesome with my pets.

I also work with a significant number of children with special needs, and I have seen huge benefits for them. (eg: increase in language, social skills, decreased shyness, decreased aggression) I have one little girl with a significant language delay who is only motivated to talk about my Yorkie. All this said, even a well trained animal has the potential to bite when provoked so children should never, ever be left alone with ANY family pet. That rule is never broken here.
Even though you are very careful and vigilant, I wouldn't put my child in care where a dog was allowed to be involved with them at all. Admittedly I am not a pet person although I don't hate pets. Yes, children have accidents with climbing, falling and even walking. However, those are necessary for living. A pet in daycare isn't. I always figured if parents wanted their children to experience life with pets then they can have them at home. I feel the same way about swimming pools, btw. Children can and should be taught how to interact with pets if one has them but they make mistakes. It wouldn't be a liability I'd wish to entertain even if our licensing rules allowed it.

Awww, a golden retriever...my daughter used to have one. She was so sweet and I really don't like dogs around me if I have a preference. I was kind of warming up to her though. She would come and lay her head on my lap when I visited. I thought she liked me but my daughter said "Don't get too excited mom she does that to the cable guy too."

Laurel
spedmommy4 12:46 PM 09-20-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Even though you are very careful and vigilant, I wouldn't put my child in care where a dog was allowed to be involved with them at all. Admittedly I am not a pet person although I don't hate pets. Yes, children have accidents with climbing, falling and even walking. However, those are necessary for living. A pet in daycare isn't. I always figured if parents wanted their children to experience life with pets then they can have them at home. I feel the same way about swimming pools, btw. Children can and should be taught how to interact with pets if one has them but they make mistakes. It wouldn't be a liability I'd wish to entertain even if our licensing rules allowed it.

Awww, a golden retriever...my daughter used to have one. She was so sweet and I really don't like dogs around me if I have a preference. I was kind of warming up to her though. She would come and lay her head on my lap when I visited. I thought she liked me but my daughter said "Don't get too excited mom she does that to the cable guy too."

Laurel
Mine does that too. She's almost 8 years old now so definitely not a puppy anymore but she acts like one sometimes. Haha.

I am sure some parents feel that way and I am okay with that. :-) My 4 kids were raised with my golden and my Yorkie loves having a house full of kids. One dcp commented that my Yorkie must have the best dog life ever when he saw all the kids playing fetch with Kaiah in the yard. California is pretty dog friendly so it hasn't been an issue for me . . . All my families have pets; most have dogs. It doesn't work for everyone but it works for me.
Attached: 14427777927741054545122.jpg (45.0 KB) 
Blackcat31 01:12 PM 09-20-2015
Spedmommy4

I agree with alot of what you are saying and I am a huge pet person myself.
I've never not had a dog and a cat in my family and YES they are my family.

But because they are family, I won't risk their safety and I won't risk something happening because "once is all is usuaully takes before someone starts screaming stronger/more legislative regulations for family child's are needed blah blah blah and before you know it NO one that chooses to run a child care from their home will be allowed to even own a dog.

It will be either or.

We've all seen or have already have some ridiculous rules imposed on us.

Also because I love my pets it is even more of a reason I don't want them exposed to my DCKs. Kids are unpredictable and pets can't use their words so its just a bad situation waiting to happen.
..... and before you say your dog would never bite... I guarantee that same thing was said/believed by those dog owners who's did bite.

I 100% agree with your example about sharp pointy clay tools. It just doesnt apply to dogs imoh. The difference is that I know exactly what the sharp tools are always going to do but I don't know what a dog is always going to do.

I also agree that kids learn a ton when exposed to pets but they can learn that when their with their family and when its not my liability/responsibility.
Blackcat31 01:17 PM 09-20-2015
@Spedmommy4

and your pup,is adorable!

Here's my youngest
Attached: image.jpg (207.8 KB) 
spedmommy4 01:39 PM 09-20-2015
@Spedmommy4

and your pup,is adorable!

Here's my youngest
Awe. Yours too. Jade could absolutely bite. Any dog could, no matter how well trained. Jade only gets interaction time when she is sitting at my feet. She didn't grow up with these kids and she is 70 lbs. She would knock.em down like bowling pins.

Kaiah is 5 pounds. If she ever did bite, it would be a surface wound, and she's vaccined. The benefit out weighs the potential risk. And re: the pointy tools, I was actually a never worried about cuts. I was always worried about a 2 year old getting ticked off and poking another 2 year old with one. That was where those tools became like a potential dog bite.
Silly Songs 11:19 PM 09-20-2015
Now I want a dog . No , I don't have a home day care. I work in a center. I love dogs. My previous one had to be put down.
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 09-21-2015
And re: the pointy tools, I was actually a never worried about cuts. I was always worried about a 2 year old getting ticked off and poking another 2 year old with one. That was where those tools became like a potential dog bite.
That's my argument though....

In the "sharp tools - young child" scenario you only need to control/manage the child....ie: making sure they don't go rogue with a potential weapon. The tool isn't going to suddenly kick into auto drive and follow it's instincts.

In the "dog - young child" scenario you have to be able to control/manage BOTH the dog AND the child(ren) and anticipate each of their behaviors. That's difficult in my opinion.

That's why I just think its a risky combination.
daycarediva 10:19 AM 09-22-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I agree with this..

I'd almost always naturally side with a provider and tell you to pay, but this is an absolute exception. If you refuse, the worst she can do is take you to small claims court, and I think she'd have a hard time getting a judge to say that it's reasonable for you to continue taking your child to someone unsafe.

I'd keep any evidence (texts, notes) just in case.

please update us! The providers actions/failure to keep the child safe baffle me.
Reply Up