Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>Feedback Needed- Special Needs Daycare
ExceptionalHearts 03:54 PM 09-28-2016
Hello,

I am currently in the start up process of opening a daycare for children with a focus on children with special needs. (Business Planning and finding out if there is a need.) My current career is in mental health. I really am looking for feedback regarding if there is a need for such a facility? Possible challenges? Feedback from parents of children with special needs (Autism, Down Syndrome, Asperger's, etc.) would be great. I know raising a little one can be difficult and daycare is always scary so I want to learn as much as I can to provide exceptional care and allow moms and dads to leave their little one in our care with no worries.

Thanks for any guidance.
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 09-29-2016
Originally Posted by ExceptionalHearts:
Hello,

I am currently in the start up process of opening a daycare for children with a focus on children with special needs. (Business Planning and finding out if there is a need.) My current career is in mental health. I really am looking for feedback regarding if there is a need for such a facility? Possible challenges? Feedback from parents of children with special needs (Autism, Down Syndrome, Asperger's, etc.) would be great. I know raising a little one can be difficult and daycare is always scary so I want to learn as much as I can to provide exceptional care and allow moms and dads to leave their little one in our care with no worries.

Thanks for any guidance.
Welcome to the forum!

I have no advice in regards to providing special needs care as it's not something I am familiar with or know much about.

What I do know is that it might be a HUGE laibility (not that, that is a bad thing but something to definitely consider) but I am also thinking you would have to have staff as a provider working solo could never manage special needs children in a group setting without risking alot.

I would also think staff would have be highly trained. Which equates to being paid well.

That would weigh heavily on what your rates would be as well as many other things so I definitely think you have a lot to consider both business wise and management of day to day activities too.

I wish you luck as special needs families probably have a hard time finding care so it's probably a great niche to get into! I am sure you could probably find a to of resources if you contact your local child care aware offices....
They are usually the best place to start.
Reply Up