Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who decided 12:1 was a good ratio?
Unregistered 02:24 PM 05-04-2017
I work at a center and frequently have 12 3-4 year olds on my own. Some days it's ok other days I can't keep up, they all need something at once and I feel like I am not enough for them. Tie my shoes, so and so pushed me, someone isn't sharing, I have a hang nail, etc. Nonstop needs. How is this functional? Has anyone else felt 12 is too much?
Blackcat31 03:09 PM 05-04-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I work at a center and frequently have 12 3-4 year olds on my own. Some days it's ok other days I can't keep up, they all need something at once and I feel like I am not enough for them. Tie my shoes, so and so pushed me, someone isn't sharing, I have a hang nail, etc. Nonstop needs. How is this functional? Has anyone else felt 12 is too much?
Everyone has a different level of comfort when caring for kids and most times I think that just because a provider can legally have X number of kids, it doesn't mean they should or have to.

As long as you are with in your ratios and not over in capacity it is allowed (I don't know what state you are in) but if you feel that 12 is too many you should talk to your director and see about getting another staff person in the room with you.
happymom 04:18 PM 05-04-2017
I agree. My son is in the pre-k (4-5) class at a center and their ratio is 14:1. Their teacher is wonderful, but some days she just looks so worn down.
Thank you for doing this job, you are very special!
Leigh 04:31 PM 05-04-2017
I used to have a 6-child license (you can choose 6 or 12 when you register). I changed to 12, and find that it is EASIER to have 12 than 6. They seem to pair off better, group activities are more fun for them. I truly feel that I work half as hard with twice the kids!
Ariana 04:47 PM 05-04-2017
I never had an issue with 12 kids but it definitely depends on the kids and how well you do with chaos! I was always the teacher that other teachers would ask me if I had room for more. Most of the time I would get the kids to clean up early and we would do a big circle story and song time or an obstacle course.
CityGarden 05:08 PM 05-04-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I used to have a 6-child license (you can choose 6 or 12 when you register). I changed to 12, and find that it is EASIER to have 12 than 6. They seem to pair off better, group activities are more fun for them. I truly feel that I work half as hard with twice the kids!
This is great to hear! I often wonder about IF I will go to 12 when allowed.

I am licensed for 6 and cannot wait until I have an assistant. Even with 6-8 given that we go to the park each day and on many walking field trips I feel it is worth it. That said, if I went to 12 I would still only want one assistant. I just like having a second pair of eyes and hands - while I am diaper changing, while crossing the street, while watching the children at the park, etc.
mommyneedsadayoff 05:34 PM 05-04-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Stop right there young lady (or sir)!!! You are doing great! And the fact that you are PRESENT is enough for them. Everything else is a learning experience (for all of you) and simply by being there and doing what you can to help, you are showing them what it means to be a support system. Kids need support and when they have it, they achieve so much more on their own because they feel confident and capable! When things get chaotic, just take a deep breath and start with one thing at a time. With 3-4 year olds, you can make everything a group activity, so while I am helping Sally tie her shoes, I have 10 other cheer leaders watching and in the end, it is a HUGE success when Sally's shoes get tied! When it comes to kids, I have learned to slow. it. down. As adults, we are moving from one thing to the next, but kids live int he moment. Something as simple as shoe tying can be a whole "thing" and really fun. Slow your mind down and enjoy the audience
Reply Up