Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To NICELY Relay My DC/Parenting Style?
Unregistered 05:57 AM 05-11-2017
I want to write a blurb on my personal style of raising kids in a positive way vs using a lot of negative sounding words. Basically, I want to say that I have expectations of children learning that they are not special snowflakes, that they are capable of being independent people, are capable of learning acceptable behaviour without constant excuses and explanations from parents justifying their behaviours, I am not AP at all (not looking for a fight, just different styles ), that I don't coddle, helicopter, entertain or play FOR your children, etc. Basically, that I have an old school, traditional child raising mentality. The reason I want to write something up is to weed out families that aren't in line with my personal philosophies, as I am currently in a position of taking care of a special snowflake, only child, who demands all of the attention and does anything she needs to to gain control of all the attention - including pooping on demand to take the attention. Dcm has always been full of excuses for the child's behaviour, and so I find myself frustrated with dcg and unable to talk to dcm because the thought of just talking to her gives me major anxiety. I'm a kind and loving provider, who gets kids are kids, but at the same won't allow children to rule the roost either.

Thanks.
Blackcat31 06:22 AM 05-11-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I want to write a blurb on my personal style of raising kids in a positive way vs using a lot of negative sounding words. Basically, I want to say that I have expectations of children learning that they are not special snowflakes, that they are capable of being independent people, are capable of learning acceptable behaviour without constant excuses and explanations from parents justifying their behaviours, I am not AP at all (not looking for a fight, just different styles ), that I don't coddle, helicopter, entertain or play FOR your children, etc. Basically, that I have an old school, traditional child raising mentality. The reason I want to write something up is to weed out families that aren't in line with my personal philosophies, as I am currently in a position of taking care of a special snowflake, only child, who demands all of the attention and does anything she needs to to gain control of all the attention - including pooping on demand to take the attention. Dcm has always been full of excuses for the child's behaviour, and so I find myself frustrated with dcg and unable to talk to dcm because the thought of just talking to her gives me major anxiety. I'm a kind and loving provider, who gets kids are kids, but at the same won't allow children to rule the roost either.

Thanks.
Most of what you said related to me as a loosely translated Montessori type philosophy/approach.

I feel similar to what you said about independence and "special". The opening quote for my welcome page on my website says "Never help a child with a task at which he feels he can succeed." ~ Maria Montessori

I'd take some time and read about the Montessori approach and I bet you'll find some language that meets your needs.

http://www.dailymontessori.com/montessori-theory/
Cat Herder 06:35 AM 05-11-2017
What BC said with the addendum of Magda Gerber

https://www.rie.org/about/our-founder/
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 07:02 AM 05-11-2017
I put this at the top of my webpage:

It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings.
Ann Ladders
Josiegirl 02:35 AM 05-12-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
I put this at the top of my webpage:

It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful human beings.
Ann Ladders
Ooh, love that quote and will be copying it to add to my bulletin board.
Tags:curriculum - age appropriate
Reply Up