Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Acrylic Paint On Ceramic Mugs?
melilley 07:20 AM 06-13-2013
I bought some white glazed ceramic mugs for the kids to make their Father's Day gifts. I thought I had enamel paint, but only have acrylic paint. Does anyone know if acrylic paint will stick to the mugs? Since I thought I had enamel paint, I don't have any time to go back to the store and I kinda forgot about Father's Day gifts and went out last night to buy supplies-oops!
MarinaVanessa 08:30 AM 06-13-2013
I know that acrylic paint would work for glass so I'm assuming that it will work for ceramic type mugs. It'll take a while so make sure you do it early today ... the earlier the better.

For glass these are the instructions so if you want to try it out with acrylic paints just follow the same directions. Let the kids paint their mugs and let them dry for a full 24 hours. I put mine in the oven on cookie sheets to make sure that no one messes with them and so that they are already ready for the "baking" part. After 24 hours I bake them at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes and then wait until the oven and the glass is completely cooled off before I remove them.

You'll probably want to start this right away because you'll have to leave them 24 hours drying otherwise the paint may crack. That's what it does to glass anyway, not sure if it's the same for ceramic. Good luck! Let me know how that works out!
Lyss 08:46 AM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I bought some white glazed ceramic mugs for the kids to make their Father's Day gifts. I thought I had enamel paint, but only have acrylic paint. Does anyone know if acrylic paint will stick to the mugs? Since I thought I had enamel paint, I don't have any time to go back to the store and I kinda forgot about Father's Day gifts and went out last night to buy supplies-oops!
I did this exact thing last year and they were fine. I just put them in the oven on a low temp for a bit (like 45mins) after they dried and they were good to go. I told the parents to make sure to only hand wash after each use just in case. DD's from last year looks great still.
melilley 10:31 AM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I know that acrylic paint would work for glass so I'm assuming that it will work for ceramic type mugs. It'll take a while so make sure you do it early today ... the earlier the better.

For glass these are the instructions so if you want to try it out with acrylic paints just follow the same directions. Let the kids paint their mugs and let them dry for a full 24 hours. I put mine in the oven on cookie sheets to make sure that no one messes with them and so that they are already ready for the "baking" part. After 24 hours I bake them at 325 degrees for about 45 minutes and then wait until the oven and the glass is completely cooled off before I remove them.

You'll probably want to start this right away because you'll have to leave them 24 hours drying otherwise the paint may crack. That's what it does to glass anyway, not sure if it's the same for ceramic. Good luck! Let me know how that works out!
Thank you! I didn't see this until just now...I guess the Father's won't get them until Monday. Oh well, I guess it won't take away from the gifts that they get for them at home. I'll let you know how it works out!
melilley 10:32 AM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
I did this exact thing last year and they were fine. I just put them in the oven on a low temp for a bit (like 45mins) after they dried and they were good to go. I told the parents hand wash only just in case. DD's from last year looks great still.
Oh phew! Good to know! Thanks!
MarinaVanessa 11:06 AM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Thank you! I didn't see this until just now...I guess the Father's won't get them until Monday. Oh well, I guess it won't take away from the gifts that they get for them at home. I'll let you know how it works out!
Are you closed tomorrow? Just try to bake them in the morning tomorrow or about an hour to an hour and a half before the first kid is to get picked up. Or just have them paint the mugs and take them home with instructions to put them in the oven at home. Say that you left that last part for them to do with their "daddy's"
melilley 11:11 AM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Are you closed tomorrow? Just try to bake them in the morning tomorrow or about an hour to an hour and a half before the first kid is to get picked up. Or just have them paint the mugs and take them home with instructions to put them in the oven at home. Say that you left that last part for them to do with their "daddy's"
Great idea! I am open tomorrow so I'll probably have to do that or just say that they are for decoration only.
C.Gonzova 05:13 AM 05-17-2017
Acrylic will not stick to glaze-fired ceramic. I wish it could but it doesn't work. But if you want to put acrylic paint and have it as a display only mug that will work too with a topcoat of acrylic varnish.
Unregistered 10:24 AM 06-15-2018
I am doing ceramic mugs with acrilyc paint! Anyone know if it's okay to put them in the oven after a few hours of drying? I haven't had the chance to do these mugs until now and I have to send them home today! Thoughts?
Unregistered 05:03 PM 07-10-2018
go ahead. Set the oven for 360 and bake for 20 minutes. let them completely cool in the oven about 20 minutes
Tags:acrylic paint, acrylic vs enamel, ceramic, ceramic mugs, mugs
Reply Up