Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Food Program Milk Loophole
284878 09:24 PM 05-22-2017
I have a dcb that is about to turn one and is on medication for acid reflux. DCM has been introducing vitamin D / whole milk to him at home and has found that he is "not doing well with it", along with some other foods. She has been trying to talk to the doctor about getting him and waiver for the food program but he is refusing to talk to her without an appointment. The earliest that she could get in is a week after dcb turns one.

Is there a loophole that I could use for that week to get around giving him whole milk and give dcb formula instead? Can I give him the formula first and then offer him milk once he is full? Or would giving him any formula be against the rules completely?
hwichlaz 07:01 AM 05-23-2017
Originally Posted by 284878:

Is there a loophole that I could use for that week to get around giving him whole milk and give dcb formula instead? Can I give him the formula first and then offer him milk once he is full? Or would giving him any formula be against the rules completely?
My annual training was last night. So I was reminded that 1 year olds don't need to be fully on whole milk until they are 13 months old. You have a month to transition them. For that week I'd premake the sippycups/bottles for the day. If the FP shows up, just say he's transitioning.
Blackcat31 08:23 AM 05-23-2017
I have a dcb that is about to turn one and is on medication for acid reflux. DCM has been introducing vitamin D / whole milk to him at home and has found that he is "not doing well with it", along with some other foods. She has been trying to talk to the doctor about getting him and waiver for the food program but he is refusing to talk to her without an appointment. The earliest that she could get in is a week after dcb turns one.

I have a couple kids drinking formula and/or breastmilk beyond age 1 yr.

Alot of it is HOW it's served verses what is served.
I serve all drinks in a cup after 1 yr verses the bottle.
Offering is also all I am required to do. I can serve more than what is required so the child can "choose" which drink they want.

You might need to check with your FP agency/rep to be sure that is how they do things.
Max 07:41 PM 05-23-2017
BC so we just have to offer whole milk after 1 year of age, not serve it?

Can we serve milk alternatives (soy, almond, etc.) as well as breast milk or formula if the child doesn't want whole milk?

I'm totally new to the FP and was just looking at it last night trying to figure out how it works... It feels a little overwhelming
284878 08:01 PM 05-23-2017
Thank you - I will just go ahead and offer both. There is no chance that she will show up as the next visit is the resign and she schedules that with me.
AmyKidsCo 08:15 PM 05-23-2017
hwichlaz is right - you've got a month to transition them to whole milk. Besides, if it's in a cup how will the food program lady know what's in there?
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 05-24-2017
Originally Posted by Max:
BC so we just have to offer whole milk after 1 year of age, not serve it?

Can we serve milk alternatives (soy, almond, etc.) as well as breast milk or formula if the child doesn't want whole milk?

I'm totally new to the FP and was just looking at it last night trying to figure out how it works... It feels a little overwhelming

Milk served must be low-fat (1%) or non-fat (skim) for age 2 yrs + and whole milk is served for 1 yr to 2 yrs old.

As for "serving" and/or "offering" and still being compliant....well that seems to be up to your agency and/or the rep you have.

I am only required to "have available" and "offer" items to be compliant and be reimbursed. So even if I offer and no one actually eats/drinks it, I am good. If I don't actually put green beans on a plate but have a serving available for a child, I am still compliant and am reimbursed.

Some agencies require ALL food components to be plated (and sometimes consumed) in order for the provider to be compliant and reimbursed.

Like everything, it's up to how each agency interprets the rule.
Blackcat31 07:33 AM 05-24-2017
Originally Posted by Max:
Here are the acceptable milk substitutes.
Almond milk is not one of them...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8_...ew?usp=sharing
284878 08:42 PM 06-10-2017
Update - DCM takes DCB to the doctor and brings back fp allergy substitute form. The doctor writes that "DCM is to try 2% then 1% and so forth until she finds a milk that DCB will drink". I ask my fp rep if I can follow the Doctor instructions too. (In other words, would this form allow me to feed DCB another % milk (not just DCM) or would we need the doctor to write it up differently)
Her response: 2% is not allowable, only 1% and lower fat are.
Huh? Why can't a doctor approve 2% for a one-year-old as a substitute for whole milk? and how did that answer my question?
hwichlaz 07:18 PM 06-11-2017
Update - DCM takes DCB to the doctor and brings back fp allergy substitute form. The doctor writes that "DCM is to try 2% then 1% and so forth until she finds a milk that DCB will drink". I ask my fp rep if I can follow the Doctor instructions too. (In other words, would this form allow me to feed DCB another % milk (not just DCM) or would we need the doctor to write it up differently)
Her response: 2% is not allowable, only 1% and lower fat are.
Huh? Why can't a doctor approve 2% for a one-year-old as a substitute for whole milk? and how did that answer my question?
I bet your FP rep is confused about the age of the child.
284878 05:57 AM 06-12-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I bet your FP rep is confused about the age of the child.
Thank you, that's what I thought too. I emailed her back, repeating the child's age next to his name and she said that with a doctor's note I could serve 2% but that I would have to purchase. (2% is what my family prefers) 😃
trix23 07:00 PM 06-12-2017
Kinda glad I don't have these ridiculous regulations for things -I personally don't see any health or nutritional need for milk.
Tags:food program, milk
Reply Up