Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>W10s, Deadlines, How And When Do You Offer Them
Thriftylady 04:04 PM 08-22-2015
So in Kansas when I had daycare, NO parent ever gave me a tax form to fill out. Many of them I gave a number for the year and my Soc. number but no parent ever brought me the required paperwork. So I understand now that I do not have to provide them anything if they don't bring me the paper.

So how do you do this? Do you give them a deadline to send/bring the W10? Do you require them to bring it to you or do you just give it to them? I have several parents who have left this year for different reasons. I always file my taxes by 2/1 if at all possible what if they want the form in March or April?
Michael 04:24 PM 08-22-2015
More threads on W10: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=w10
TomCopeland 07:36 AM 08-24-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
So in Kansas when I had daycare, NO parent ever gave me a tax form to fill out. Many of them I gave a number for the year and my Soc. number but no parent ever brought me the required paperwork. So I understand now that I do not have to provide them anything if they don't bring me the paper.

So how do you do this? Do you give them a deadline to send/bring the W10? Do you require them to bring it to you or do you just give it to them? I have several parents who have left this year for different reasons. I always file my taxes by 2/1 if at all possible what if they want the form in March or April?
You don't have to do anything. It's the parents responsibility to give you Form W-10, although very few do so. Mostly it's providers who fill out this form and give it to the parents. Or, they give parents a receipt of their own. Or, you can do nothing, since there is no law requiring you to give parents a W-10 or a receipt. Don't give parents your SS number. Instead, get an EIN.

Here's an article I've written about this: http://tomcopelandblog.com/the-truth...arent-receipts
Thriftylady 07:52 AM 08-24-2015
Back in Kansas, I gave my SSN. Since being on these boards I did get an EIN. I had not known I could until these boards. I learn so darn much here.
littletots 09:04 AM 08-24-2015
I provide a w-10 and spreadsheet listing dates, pay, total. I review both forms, ask if parent agrees, If they do I have them sign, I keep a copy & give them orginal.
- once parent asked if she could check her numbers and get back to me. Her numbers were different. We reviewed. She included all childcare. She went back & adjusted her data to reflect my correct $. She was paying date night sitter under the table trying to put under my name.
- three times I get hot panic call from dcp at tax return place wanting $ amounts asap. I keep file copy, text a pic of w-10 so they have my correct amount.
My license & accreditation asked we provide receipts. Glad I do!
Baby Beluga 09:28 PM 08-24-2015
I tell parents I will give them the info by January 31st and specifically ask that they not ask me for the information sooner then January 31st. (stated in my HB)

I email a read only PDF titled

"End of year childcare receipt for year 20XX" In it I include:

Provider’s Name
Provider’s Address
Provider’s EIN number
Provider’s Phone Number
Parent’s Names
Child’s Name
Total Tuition Paid
Childcare Tuition Through X date to X date

I realize I legally don't have to give any of this info unless the parents supply me with a W-10, but it is just easier for me if I give it to them first.
ColorfulSunburst 09:17 AM 08-29-2015
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I realize I legally don't have to give any of this info unless the parents supply me with a W-10, but it is just easier for me if I give it to them first.
I have w-10 ready for the every client after a first week of January and just give the form to parents if they ask.
MarinaVanessa 09:00 PM 08-31-2015
I use Minute Menu Kids Pro to keep track of attendance, meals, payments etc so for me printing up a W-10 form with all of the info already on it is easy peazy. I also have in my handbook that these will be handed out no later than January 31. I don't mind that parents don't give me a blank w-10 BUT that's only because printing one is so easy for me and all of the totals are already done for me.
Tags:w10
Reply Up