Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Staring While Eating
lovemykidstoo 07:11 AM 09-03-2015
I have two boys that are both 15 -16 months old. I always feed all of the kids before having a meal myself. Lunch is not a problem because they eat and then take naps. Breakfast on the other hand is driving me crazy. These 2 in particular could seriously eat all day if I let them. Anyhoo, like I said, I feed them first and then I make myself breakfast. They stand and stare at me while I eat and it's driving me bonkers. I don't want to eat at the same time as them because they're little and sometimes I'm up and down from the table so I like to eat after so I can enjoy my food. I obviously can't eat in a different room either because I need to watch them. Anyone have this issue?
rosieteddy 07:35 AM 09-03-2015
Send them to "go play".I did the same thing I fed the kids and then ate.I tried setting up an activity.Blocks games ect.It worked when I finish eating I would pick up activity and put away.They got it..Play while Nana eats or miss out on activity.
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I have two boys that are both 15 -16 months old. I always feed all of the kids before having a meal myself. Lunch is not a problem because they eat and then take naps. Breakfast on the other hand is driving me crazy. These 2 in particular could seriously eat all day if I let them. Anyhoo, like I said, I feed them first and then I make myself breakfast. They stand and stare at me while I eat and it's driving me bonkers. I don't want to eat at the same time as them because they're little and sometimes I'm up and down from the table so I like to eat after so I can enjoy my food. I obviously can't eat in a different room either because I need to watch them. Anyone have this issue?
"go play toys!"
stare
"go play!"
stare
"go!"
stare

physically move them to the play area

Rinse and repeat
lovemykidstoo 08:01 AM 09-03-2015
That's what I usually do, but it's like every 5 seconds. ahhhh! They're worse than my dog hahaha
Heidi 08:10 AM 09-03-2015
I used to have the same problem, but then I switched to eating with them.

One child helps set the table, everyone sits, we plate the food, and they put their hands down on their lap until we say "Guten Apetit'". They don't get up from the table until I'm done; generally, just about everyone is done except the straggler, who needs a couple extra minutes. Seconds are only given when a plate is empty, and everything is at the table, including a small pitcher of millk for refills (they start using open cups at 15-18 months).

This way, I get to eat. We have conversations, they learn manners, and generally mealtimes are calm and pleasant enough that I enjoy them, and they do to.
daycarediva 10:21 AM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I used to have the same problem, but then I switched to eating with them.

One child helps set the table, everyone sits, we plate the food, and they put their hands down on their lap until we say "Guten Apetit'". They don't get up from the table until I'm done; generally, just about everyone is done except the straggler, who needs a couple extra minutes. Seconds are only given when a plate is empty, and everything is at the table, including a small pitcher of millk for refills (they start using open cups at 15-18 months).

This way, I get to eat. We have conversations, they learn manners, and generally mealtimes are calm and pleasant enough that I enjoy them, and they do to.
This is how I do it, too. I sit in at the head of the preschool table. Never had an issue. I sometimes eat different food (GF) sometimes get questions about that- but otherwise no issues.
Play Care 10:53 AM 09-03-2015
Like you I just can not eat with my kids. Sometimes it because I'm also feeding an infant at the same time, or I have a younger toddler who needs help etc.
I felt bad but I get the worst indigestion from multi-tasking while eating

I get my kids set up with centers/ activities and then eat. My kitchen and family room are one big space so I find once they get going they don't want to stop. I also don't have an island so I'm higher up which helps.
Blackcat31 11:03 AM 09-03-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Like you I just can not eat with my kids. Sometimes it because I'm also feeding an infant at the same time, or I have a younger toddler who needs help etc.
I felt bad but I get the worst indigestion from multi-tasking while eating

I get my kids set up with centers/ activities and then eat. My kitchen and family room are one big space so I find once they get going they don't want to stop. I also don't have an island so I'm higher up which helps.
As much as they recommend that, I can't do it either.

I find I can easily lose my appetite if I eat with the kids. I'd rather not see some of the behaviors they have at the table (due to just learning manners) while I eat too.

Plus, part of my down time is eating with my DH every afternoon. We feed the kids, clean up and then sit down to a little adults-only time.
lovemykidstoo 11:22 AM 09-03-2015
Yea I just can't bring myself to eat with them. I'm usually sitting there with them and up and down, picking food up off the floor in case of accidents, cutting things etc. I like to have my "down" time right after they eat and lay down for naps. I relax, hang out on the computer (like now lol) and eat my lunch in peace. I have not had any issues until these 2 boys right now. It drives me nuts how they follow me around if I even go close to the kitchen or if I have my food. Honestly, I hate to sound horrible, but like I said it's like my dog when I have food. They are young, so they don't understand if you don't stop you won't get to do XYZ. They do understand "go play" and I do say that.
Heidi 11:42 AM 09-03-2015
Yea I just can't bring myself to eat with them. I'm usually sitting there with them and up and down, picking food up off the floor in case of accidents, cutting things etc. I like to have my "down" time right after they eat and lay down for naps. I relax, hang out on the computer (like now lol) and eat my lunch in peace. I have not had any issues until these 2 boys right now. It drives me nuts how they follow me around if I even go close to the kitchen or if I have my food. Honestly, I hate to sound horrible, but like I said it's like my dog when I have food. They are young, so they don't understand if you don't stop you won't get to do XYZ. They do understand "go play" and I do say that.
Can you compromise and have breakfast with them, and lunch once they're down?
lovemykidstoo 12:37 PM 09-03-2015
Can you compromise and have breakfast with them, and lunch once they're down?
Sometimes I do and eat standing at the island in my kitchen when I'm watching them with their breakfast. The times that I don't though, they just really should mind and not behave like they're starving when they just got done eating. I don't know why but it irritates the daylights out of me lol
Heidi 01:05 PM 09-03-2015
Sometimes I do and eat standing at the island in my kitchen when I'm watching them with their breakfast. The times that I don't though, they just really should mind and not behave like they're starving when they just got done eating. I don't know why but it irritates the daylights out of me lol
But, if they're 15-16 months old, they don't "mind" much of anything yet. I'm kind of a tough guy at times, but they're barely out of babyhood. You can try to teach them, and you should, but don't blame them. They're still so little! Just redirect them as with anything else. Might be a good time to put out a "new" toy or two.

I have a 26 month old that would expect another meal if I did this. He'd throw a complete and utter tantrum, I gaurantee it! Now, THAT"s annoying!
lovemykidstoo 02:01 PM 09-03-2015
But, if they're 15-16 months old, they don't "mind" much of anything yet. I'm kind of a tough guy at times, but they're barely out of babyhood. You can try to teach them, and you should, but don't blame them. They're still so little! Just redirect them as with anything else. Might be a good time to put out a "new" toy or two.

I have a 26 month old that would expect another meal if I did this. He'd throw a complete and utter tantrum, I gaurantee it! Now, THAT"s annoying!

Yea you're right. All they know is FOOD! lol. Still annoying
spud912 02:15 PM 09-03-2015
If I can avoid it, I do not eat with the kiddos. There is just no enjoyment in a meal when I have to scarf it down quickly, remind the kiddos to be patient for a minute while I get one bite in, help the youngest eat, and get interrupted every 1 second. It's just like "A Christmas Story" where the narrator says "my mother hasn't had a warm meal in 10 years."

Here is what works for me:

1. Most days, I try to eat breakfast before the first kiddo arrives and eat lunch during nap time.

2. If I do eat with the children, I have them wait until I finish x amount of food before they can ask me for seconds. I also have them tell each other stories so they don't constantly ask me for things or compete for my attention while eating. I'm a super fast eater so this works out ok.

3. Sometimes I eat at the kitchen island while the kids are eating. If I do this, I take bites in between handling tasks (like getting seconds, cleaning, etc). The children are usually distracted because I'm not sitting down right next to them.

4. If I eat in between meals, I do it when the children are highly engaged in an activity already (whether it be an elaborate pretend play, building with blocks or playdough). This is one of my quickest meals because I usually hang out in the kitchen while eating out of sight (but within earshot) of the children.
Reply Up