Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Water Issues
debbiedoeszip 07:55 AM 03-22-2017
A water main broke in town and the city is asking that we not use the water until it's fixed. Additionally, there is now a boil water order. I'm going to stay open for the rest of the day as I have bottled water for drinking and washing, and the kids are all in diapers and won't need to use the toilet (that I guess we aren't supposed to flush). What are the policies (re: closure) that others would follow in this situation? I want to do what is fair and reasonable if it continues into tomorrow.
JackandJill 08:05 AM 03-22-2017
I would have to double check, but I believe running water for hand washing is a requirement in my state. I'm sure getting by with bottled water would be fine for today, but I would probably close if it was going to be a week long issue, just so I wouldn't be out of compliance.

What a head ache!!
debbiedoeszip 08:08 AM 03-22-2017
Yes, it very much is a headache Thanks for letting me know about your policy. I'm legally unlicensed but I do try to follow what a licensed daycare would do. Most days I'm winging it though LOL.
Blackcat31 08:13 AM 03-22-2017
I would probably have to close because my regulations state I must have running water. It doesn't specify that it has to be hot or cold just running water.

However, if I didn't have to follow state regulations and only had a couple kids that I cold easily manage (even if its a PITA for the day) I'd probably just wing it and stay open but maybe request that parents do nothing additional before dropping off or picking up their kid.

In other words, FOR WORK ONLY. They can run errands or do whatever else they might do when you are caring for their kids on their time so that this situation isn't too overwhelming or troublesome for you.
debbiedoeszip 08:24 AM 03-22-2017
I have one parent who is actually on maternity leave but brings her DD part time for socialization (or a break LOL). I'm very close to calling her pick up but mostly because her DD isfairly miserable today (fatigue, cold, terrible twos...no idea). Definitely not opening tomorrow if we don't have usable running water.
LysesKids 09:22 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would probably have to close because my regulations state I must have running water. It doesn't specify that it has to be hot or cold just running water.

However, if I didn't have to follow state regulations and only had a couple kids that I cold easily manage (even if its a PITA for the day) I'd probably just wing it and stay open but maybe request that parents do nothing additional before dropping off or picking up their kid.

In other words, FOR WORK ONLY. They can run errands or do whatever else they might do when you are caring for their kids on their time so that this situation isn't too overwhelming or troublesome for you.
See this is how I do it but only because I am legally license exempt... if I was fully licensed I would have to close; I keep Nursery water for making formula bottles and parents know I always have an additional 3 day supply for everything else just in case of some emergency
Reply Up