Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>New Theme....Monsters? Need Ideas
melskids 04:58 PM 05-10-2011
OK, i really like to play off of the kids interests when planning my curriculum.

I am stumped.

all they want to do is play monsters. they take turns being the monster, or run and hide together from the invisible monster. they have monsters knocking down their blocks, painting their pictures, etc.

i've really been trying to avoid the topic, but to no avail.

how can i plan a curriculum around this without scaring the beegees out of them, or having it not be "halloween-ish" ?

any ideas?
Crystal 05:40 PM 05-10-2011
Get the big "Go Away Big Green Monster" by Ed Embereley. it's a FABULOUS book and you can make masks that are silly to go with, as well as a flannel board story. Then there are other books:

"There Was an Old Monster"
"Glad Monster, Sad Monster"

Give them mirrors and have them make silly monster faces. Let them paint their faces green. Let em' go on a monster hunt, and hide silly monster mask faces for them to find - give em' flashlights and have them look under stuff.

This will all help them realize that monsters are PRETEND and they will learn to not have the fear of monsters.

I did these things at halloween when my two year olds were starting to express a fear because they were seeing all of the scarey costumes....it REALLY helped!
AfterSchoolMom 05:56 PM 05-10-2011
Don't forget that Sesame Street has "Monsters"...Cookie Monster, Elmo, etc. I'm sure they have stories, songs (Shiny Happy Monsters), and whatnot that you could use.
daycare 06:11 PM 05-10-2011
found this
http://www.atozteacherstuff.com/Themes/Monsters/
melskids 03:22 AM 05-11-2011
awesome! thanks ladies!!!

i really was stumped. its not a topic i thought would come up.....its spring, ya know?! I wanted to do flowers and ladybugs. guess not lol
AnythingsPossible 05:32 AM 05-11-2011
There is a book called "Three Nasty Gnarlies" that could help you transition from your monster theme into a spring theme. They aren't "monsters" per se, but they are nasty little creatures who are perfectly happy with their gnarli-ness till a snooty butterfly tells them they shouldn't be.
Basically, she tells them how she became a beautiful butterfly and they decide to make themselves cocoons so they can be beautiful too.
I have done this and let them make nasty knarlies with the playdough and tons of stuff to turn them gnarli (monster like), then they make butterflies. You can expand the book into many areas, I love books like that.
Anyway, it may work to transition into a more spring type theme if you are interested. It's a little early yet, so maybe my brain isn't working like it should, but I think it would blend.
Tags:theme - monsters, themes
Reply Up