Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Depression
catinthebox 03:51 AM 03-10-2017
during the last 7 months i had developed major anxiety attacks due to the stress at work and problems within the work place. During these times my mood was really down, i would always be in a state of depression. I felt that i had developed it too. Just wondering if anybody had issues as mine?

I would often get my anxiety attacks when my boss was around, or when i was outside or inside with certain people where i had to prepare and delivery the food to the kids while trying to solve the problems. I think the problem might have started from the fact that i was always in a state of rush, where i had to jump from one thing to another thing nonstop. Also at that time, a coworker and i had a huge problem where for some reason i would have negative thoughts of myself being fired . Due to the fact that certain coworker of mine had a mother who was high in the company/business/ other branch of the daycare center.

That was seven months ago and a small amount of things has changed. I feel like this job is draining me out of my motivation of being a teacher. I been think a lot more about my career patch as a teacher, and the conclusion was that it isn't for me. I had no desire to work with kids anymore.
MsHannah 04:06 AM 03-10-2017
To be honest, I get really anxious and depressed at my workplace too. I still enjoy working with children, but I plan on getting another job at a different (and hopefully better managed) center once I get my degree.

Think about why it was that you became a teacher. Was it to make a difference in lives of children? Or maybe you just like working with children. If you feel like you no longer want to be a teacher, consider working at a different center/school. Maybe the problem with the one you're currently at is that it's not well managed, which leads to stress on your part. If you really feel that teaching is just not for you, then you need to do a bit of soul-searching and figure out what it is you do want to do. Either way, I think a new job might be in order.

In the meantime, take care of yourself. Consider seeing a therapist if you aren't already, and remember there's no shame in taking prescription medication to help with your mental health. Hugs
daycare 05:16 AM 03-10-2017
I'm sorry both of you are experiencing this. I really hope that you find a place that someone values your hard work, knowledge and passion. I have employees and I couldn't imagine them feeling like this in the work place.

Hopefully a job change will happen for you soon

Big hugs.
racemom 06:39 AM 03-10-2017
I take prescription meds for depression and anxiety attacks. It literally was a life changer for me. It sounds to me like your attacks are from being paranoid. I know, because I let it get to the point where I was unable to leave the house because I might have a panic attack. I finally went to my doctor, told her what was happening and she prescribed meds for me.

I have told people about my experience, and nobody can believe it. I have so much more confidence and don't worry about things anymore. I really have become a different person because of the meds.
dreamer 11:57 AM 03-13-2017
I also suffer from depression. Like Racemom, I also take medication for it!

If the place you're at is causing you stress, leave it. Just go! You might not need to change fields, just locations. Maybe you can try someplace different, and try to get your drive back. Perhaps you could start your own business, where you would have more control.

When it comes to medication, I have a family that is not very supportive of it. They believe in natural medication, and the idea of me taking medication daily was something my mother was very against. However, when I talked to a psychiatrist, he told me something that really changed my mind. He said "You don't have to live like this. No one should have to", and he is right. Don't just live with depression and/or anxiety when you can get help and be happier! Go ahead and get medication. Your life will be easier!
Reply Up