Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Those Of You That Provide Childcare For Teacher's Children-
momma2girls 01:48 PM 02-23-2012
For those of you that provide childcare for teacher's children only-
How is your contract worded for early outs,blizzards, snow days, days off , late starts, school, breaks, summers, etc....??
Would you mind sharing what you have written in your contracts?
bunnyslippers 04:26 PM 02-23-2012
I only take teacher's children. I will accept other families, as long as they are aware that they will be expected to follow the school year schedule.

For early dismissals, it depends on the reason. If it is a half day for teachers as well as students in the school, it is a half day for me. If the teachers are expected to be at school for the full day, I remain open.

If it is a delayed opening due to weather, it is a delayed opening for me. I tell them to add the number of delayed minutes to their drop-off time (if 2 hour delay, then you drop off 2 hours later).

If there is a blizzard and there is no school, I do not expect payment for those days. After the first 5 snow days per year, payment is required for any additional snow days. I have this policy because snow days are made up at the end of the year so I still get paid eventually. The 5 day rule is the result of a year school was closed for 2 weeks due to an ice storm. I couldn't financially swing 2 weeks without pay.

As far as days off, I am closed if the teachers do not have to report to work. I do not charge for summers, holidays, and school vacations.

I charge a lot more than most in my area, but the teachers don't seem to mind as I don't charge for days they do not have to work.

I do charge them for random days they may take off when school is in session (personal or sick days for parents or children are never free.

Hope that helps! If you need specific wording, let me know in a pm and I will send it your way ~
momma2girls 05:23 PM 02-23-2012
I only provide care for teacher's children as well- when there are late starts- all 3 of my families come at the same time- even if it is a 2 hr. delay!!
If they do not have school, I have one family that still dropped off. I said to them "did you know they do not have school any longer, they cancelled it about 20 min. ago" I think if they wouldn't have cancelled it when they did, I would have had the family all day, even if school was cancelled!!
I would like to set up some policies soon!!
bunnyslippers 06:24 PM 02-23-2012
Absolutely set up strict policies, and do not allow for exceptions. I have a long handbook that the parents must sign off on, and I send reminders home of all policies before the rough winter weather begins. I used to have the delay problem, too. I just wrote a letter, explaining that the delays were a perk for the teachers, and therefore needed to be a perk for me. I also explained that I needed the extra time to get my home ready for their arrival - if the roads are too bad for buses, we obviously need to get my driveway and walkway cleaned off!

I am firm in all of my policies. The families I work with are mostly great, and they understand my rules. You are offering a very specific service, and you need to have very specific rules for just your population. Teachers understand order and rules, so I think you will find they are receptive to your limits and policies.

I am only open from 7:30-4:00, and I require contracted hours from each family. They are allowed one free staff meeting per month, but it must end by 4:30 or I charge a fee.

Good luck - I will help in any way I can!
momma2girls 06:56 PM 02-23-2012
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
Absolutely set up strict policies, and do not allow for exceptions. I have a long handbook that the parents must sign off on, and I send reminders home of all policies before the rough winter weather begins. I used to have the delay problem, too. I just wrote a letter, explaining that the delays were a perk for the teachers, and therefore needed to be a perk for me. I also explained that I needed the extra time to get my home ready for their arrival - if the roads are too bad for buses, we obviously need to get my driveway and walkway cleaned off!

I am firm in all of my policies. The families I work with are mostly great, and they understand my rules. You are offering a very specific service, and you need to have very specific rules for just your population. Teachers understand order and rules, so I think you will find they are receptive to your limits and policies.

I am only open from 7:30-4:00, and I require contracted hours from each family. They are allowed one free staff meeting per month, but it must end by 4:30 or I charge a fee.

Good luck - I will help in any way I can!
Thanks so much bunnyslippers!!
I have been doing dacyare for almost 9 yrs. now. How long have you been doing it?
I have only been doing teachers only for about 3 yrs. now, and I need to set up some stronger rules that apply solely to them. Such as the late starts, and early outs, and no school days, etc.... I am pretty sure if school was cancelled for the day, due to bad weather, one family would still show up. They did it not very long ago, UGHH!!!
momma2girls 06:57 PM 02-23-2012
BUNNYSLIPPERS- If you do not mind, could you pm me, with your contract? If you want mine, I can pm you mine as well. Thanks!!
momma2girls 06:59 PM 02-23-2012
Actually I have to wait til I put it all back on my new computer. My other one with the contract on it, crashed, and we have been just copying it. I could do it soon, once I get it back on to it.
saved4always 07:07 PM 02-23-2012
I have watched only teachers children for the last few years. I do my contract for each year from August to June. I do not charge for summers or holidays or vacations. I started recently charging for the full day if there is a snow day. Last year there were 5 snow days. Multiply that by 4 or 5 kids and I was out ALOT of money between those and all the sick days everyone took due to illness (daycare kids not me or mine). So, this year I am charging for snow days. I told them that I am still open and that they are free to drop thier kids off if they like on those days since they will need to pay. Of course, no snow days so far THIS year...lol! I also started this year that each child can have 3 free sick days and then they need to pay half the day for each additional sick day after 3. I also do not charge if they are going to miss a day if they let me know the week before. Of course, so far, no one has been sick more than 3 times. So, I guess I jinxed snow days and sick days by charging.....LOL!!!!!
wahmof3 09:19 PM 02-23-2012
I finally have mainly teachers kids or college students. I used to charge a daily rate & was losing so much money I thought I was going to have to close.

So starting this year I get paid holidays. I went to a pay per space rate. So if I am available they will still pay(ie: snow days, school closings). I also added payment expected for winter & spring break at 1/2 the weekly rate.

I do not charge a summer holding fee. I feel I can replace their kids with SA if needed, but SA aren't my cup of tea

Also 2 hour delays, I delay too. IF they need to go in earlier they must notify me by 7am. Never happens with this group

So the arrangement I had prior to this year was putting me in the hole & I needed to make some changes, I did and it is working out for me. Not one family left.

I do not charge if I am not available. But I think in the near future I will add in a handful of personal days. I don't want to dump that on them all at once.

I also changed my hours of operation. I am now open 7:30-4:30. If they have a meeting I will keep the kiddos longer, but in return they work with me when my kids have activities.

I also keep their kids 1 day per week thru the summer. I give them a daily rate. Looks like this summer I will only work M-W which is perfect for my setup (although all summer off would be awesome). I just couldn't afford that.
LeapOfFaith17 03:38 PM 03-13-2017
I know this is an older thread, but I am also getting ready to start my own in-home childcare with teacher's children/babies. Thank you for sharing your ideas!
Tags:2012, teacher's children, teachers as clients
Reply Up