Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeding Babies
Unregistered 08:50 AM 03-16-2017
How long (per sitting) do you work on spoon feeding a baby. I have a 6 mo and she pinches her lips so I can't get the spoon in. If I make her laugh, then I can get her to eat some, but she spits most of it back out. I'm willing to work with her because I know she's still learning, but I don't have a 1/2 hour to sit and focus on that and feel like I'm not getting anywhere.

Hoping my Rodan + Fields business takes off and I can hang up this chapter of my life.
Cat Herder 08:55 AM 03-16-2017
Infant food is for learning how and what (fruits, grains and veggies, mostly) to eat, not nutrition. No worries. If little one is not into it, move on. We are not allowed to "force a child to eat". Think of it as nutrition circle time. Mesh feeders and real food is best.

Every single one of my current clients and 4 of my former clients have started Rodan + Fields businesses online. I really have not paid too much attention to the ads they post to my business facebook page. What exactly is it?
hwichlaz 09:17 AM 03-16-2017
I stick the spoon in their mouths every time I walk by as I'm dealing with everyone else at lunch time. They have soft diced finger foods on their trays to occupy them in between bites.
Blackcat31 09:18 AM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How long (per sitting) do you work on spoon feeding a baby. I have a 6 mo and she pinches her lips so I can't get the spoon in. If I make her laugh, then I can get her to eat some, but she spits most of it back out. I'm willing to work with her because I know she's still learning, but I don't have a 1/2 hour to sit and focus on that and feel like I'm not getting anywhere.

Hoping my Rodan + Fields business takes off and I can hang up this chapter of my life.
I expect parents to teach their child this skill.

Once they've mastered spoon feeding at home, I will happily step in and add it to my daily routine but I won't be the one to introduce spoon feeding. Same for bottle training for breast fed babes and toilet training.

Parents introduce/teach, I support and assist.
JackandJill 09:51 AM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Once they've mastered spoon feeding at home, I will happily step in and add it to my daily routine but I won't be the one to introduce spoon feeding. Same for bottle training for breast fed babes and toilet training.

Parents introduce/teach, I support and assist
The minute I adopted this policy, daycare life became so much better.

And I agree, at 6 months it's about learning, not nutrition, so I wouldn't spend a lot of energy on it!
Unregistered 09:53 AM 03-16-2017
Don't even get me started on potty training! A very smart 2.5 yo will go when you tell him to, but will NEVER tell me he has to go. I asked Dad about what they are doing at home and Dad says "Well we can't put him in underwear because he will pee on the couch and it's not like we can keep him on hard surfaces all day." As he looks around my kitchen at the plastic tables and chairs. Umm, no! I'm not cleaning up after your kid because you're too lazy to put the work in.
Unregistered 10:07 AM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Infant food is for learning how and what (fruits, grains and veggies, mostly) to eat, not nutrition. No worries. If little one is not into it, move on. We are not allowed to "force a child to eat". Think of it as nutrition circle time. Mesh feeders and real food is best.

Every single one of my current clients and 4 of my former clients have started Rodan + Fields businesses online. I really have not paid too much attention to the ads they post to my business facebook page. What exactly is it?
Rodan + Fields has the #1 Anti-Aging AND #1 Acne Skincare treatments in the US. The Dr.'s who created this brand originally created ProActiv, but decided they wanted to make products for complete skincare, not just Acne. And this stuff works and the company is growing rapidly, so I'm hoping to be a part of this amazing growth! Not sure if I can put a plug in here with my website, so let me know your email address if you want more info!
DaveA 10:23 AM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Parents introduce/teach, I support and assist.
This is my way as well.
Cat Herder 10:31 AM 03-16-2017
I found this interesting, for reimbursement purposes:

"A caregiver can be reimbursed for a meal offered to a baby as long as he/she offers the baby the minimum serving size of the required meal components in the meal. The food offered does not have to be totally consumed by the baby for the meal to be reimbursable. Also, a meal is reimbursable as long as the required meal components in the respective meal are offered to the baby during the course of the day while the baby is in child care. Thus, for example, if a baby is not hungry for a meal component required at lunch, it can be offered as a snack when baby is hungry. Babies younger than 4 months of age should not be fed solid foods unless the baby’s doctor authorizes them."

"Do not force the baby to finish the serving. Babies are the best judge of how much food they need. Let them decide how much they eat. Feed until the baby indicates fullness by:
– not opening the mouth,
– pulling away from the spoon,
– turning away
– pushing food or spoon back out of the mouth, or
– throwing the food on the floor."
Cat Herder 10:40 AM 03-16-2017
Source: https://www.fns.usda.gov/tn/feeding-...ition-programs

The pesky 5 minute limit kept me from adding it to the above post.
Cat Herder 10:44 AM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Rodan + Fields has the #1 Anti-Aging AND #1 Acne Skincare treatments in the US. The Dr.'s who created this brand originally created ProActiv, but decided they wanted to make products for complete skincare, not just Acne. And this stuff works and the company is growing rapidly, so I'm hoping to be a part of this amazing growth! Not sure if I can put a plug in here with my website, so let me know your email address if you want more info!
Sound cool. If you register as a member, you can private message me.
Tags:baby food, infant feeding, rodan + fields, spoon feeding
Reply Up