Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long After Surgery?
Unregistered 11:15 AM 03-16-2017
I have an illness policy but what about children who have tubes put it and adenoids taken out? When should they be allowed to return to Care? Should I require a dr note to return? Said child is 18 months and has surgery next week. What do I tell the parent? Parent is terrible about keeping kid home when sick. Any insight you can give will be helpful thank you so much!
daycarediva 11:32 AM 03-16-2017
I would say a MINIMUM of 7-10 days post op. We are VERY active here, a child must be able to participate fully.

https://www.utmb.edu/oto/sections/pe...structions.asp

Originally Posted by :
When can my child return to school?
Most children will be out of school or daycare for 7-10 days after surgery. Your child should not participate in any vigorous activity including gym class for at least 2 weeks after surgery.
https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/a...px?hwid=ug3394

Originally Posted by :
Your child will feel tired for several days and then gradually become more active. He or she should be able to go back to school or daycare in 1 week and return to full activities in 2 weeks.

Your child will probably be able to go back to school or daycare in 7 to 10 days. He or she should not go to gym or PE class for about 2 weeks or until your doctor says it is okay.
For about 2 weeks, do not let your child play hard. Take care that your child does not do anything that would turn him or her upside down, such as playing on monkey bars or doing somersaults. Also avoid sports, bike riding, or running until your doctor says it is okay.

For about 7 days, keep your child away from crowds or people that you know have a cold or the flu. This can help prevent your child from getting an infection.

You and your child should stay close to medical care for about 2 weeks in case there is delayed bleeding.

LysesKids 11:34 AM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have an illness policy but what about children who have tubes put it and adenoids taken out? When should they be allowed to return to Care? Should I require a dr note to return? Said child is 18 months and has surgery next week. What do I tell the parent? Parent is terrible about keeping kid home when sick. Any insight you can give will be helpful thank you so much!
The child will not be in decent shape to attend for a few days if it's anything like what i went thru; Heck I was in bed for 5 days when my adenoids were taken and I was 10... my throat hurt so bad i was miserable, can't imagine what it will feel like for a younger... the tubes aren't a big issue the sore throat will be. I was drinking and eating ice pops because I couldn't swallow for a few days. I would tell parents that child can't return unless they can a participate fully
AmyKidsCo 12:14 PM 03-16-2017
I had a child who was going to have tubes put in yesterday and the Dr said she should be out a week out of daycare. Mom figured that meant 5 days and was going to count the weekend as part of her 5 days, but then surgery was cancelled.

Our youngest had his tonsils/adenoids out and after going through that with him I'd say a minimum of 10 days counting weekends. Two full weeks might be better, depending on age and healing, etc. The hardest part for us was that he had to be on a soft diet for over a month.
Unregistered 07:07 AM 03-22-2017
Thanks for answering my questions. Dcm brought me a note on Monday saying when child can return. She hasn't even had surgery yet so I don't know how the doctor knows she will be able to return in two days. will she be eating normally two days after surgery?
Snowmom 07:22 AM 03-22-2017
What kind of surgery is it?
Snowmom 07:27 AM 03-22-2017
Ack, just saw ear tubes and adenoids.

Having adenoids removed is a fairly big deal. I've had children in the past have them removed at 2-4 years old and took a week to get back to normal.
I would tell mom to play it by ear and see how she feels. If she cannot participate in normal activities (lethargic, not eating, especially cranky, etc), then she need more recovery time.
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Thanks for answering my questions. Dcm brought me a note on Monday saying when child can return. She hasn't even had surgery yet so I don't know how the doctor knows she will be able to return in two days. will she be eating normally two days after surgery?
The Doctor isn't assuming liability or responsibility for her care so I don't accept notes from the Doctor in regards to when they can return to care.

I would NOT take her back for a MINIMUM of 7-10 days.

If the Doctor is adamant that she is well enough to return to care, then mom can drop child off at Dr's office and let the Dr care for her until you are ready to accept her back into your care.
Ariana 12:02 PM 03-22-2017
I would require a week and then "play it by ear". Some of these surgeries require ear patches and you have to be very careful about infections etc. I do not need to be responsible for that!

The parent should have scheduled the surgery for when they can take time off or during vacation. It is not your problem to care for a child aftef a major surgery.
Reply Up