Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What DCP Groups Are There On FB?
SunflowerMama 12:23 PM 03-21-2017
I'd love to join some daycare provider groups on FB to bounce ideas off of. What groups are any of you a part of? TIA
AmyKidsCo 01:24 PM 03-21-2017
I'm only a member of local groups, which probably wouldn't help you much. But if you click on Groups you look in Local for local child care groups, and under Schools and Education there's an Early Childhood subheading.
Ariana 05:20 PM 03-21-2017
I tried to join a few groups online but it seems they only accept licensed providers (mainly from the USA) and since I am not one they wouldn't allow me to join
Unregistered 09:21 PM 03-21-2017
Preschool Teachers Network. There are in home providers and preschool teachers from all over the world.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 07:55 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I tried to join a few groups online but it seems they only accept licensed providers (mainly from the USA) and since I am not one they wouldn't allow me to join
This here as well. The one local one I found clearly states they will not accept unlicensed providers to join. I get that it's an extra security measure, but wish there was a local network available. (Maybe I'll just have to start one myself.)
DaveA 08:16 AM 03-22-2017
I've tried to join a couple a few years ago but was denied each time. Guess they thought I was trolling.
Blackcat31 08:17 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
This here as well. The one local one I found clearly states they will not accept unlicensed providers to join. I get that it's an extra security measure, but wish there was a local network available. (Maybe I'll just have to start one myself.)
Most of the groups I am aware of require you to prove you are a provider so that you aren't a parent. The #1 issue in those groups is providers "venting" and parents taking screen shots of the vent and reporting the provider or using it against them in some way so most the groups are trying really hard to make sure members are actually providers.

If legally unlicensed, most ask for business cards or a FB business page link or something that can show you are a provider.

In my local group, legally unlicensed isn't a possibility (my state requires you to be licensed) so all providers are checked on the DHS licensing look up site pretty easily.

In other groups, they just require some kind of proof like I mentioned above.
Cat Herder 09:58 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The #1 issue in those groups is providers "venting" and parents taking screen shots of the vent and reporting the provider or using it against them in some way so most the groups are trying really hard to make sure members are actually providers.
IME, it seemed a hobby of some providers to try to tear down the personal reputation or break the spirit of other providers who simply did things differently. Not even health or safety issues, silly stuff like choosing primary colors for their playroom.

Conversely, when there was an actual safety issue that needed addressing those same providers were happy to pile on the messenger.

That said, I have been a part of some amazing groups in the past, mostly invite only private forums/groups. I just am horrible at keeping my passwords and can never get back in. I fail at all things tech.

Social media groups can become overwhelming. At least here (daycare.com forum), if I am not feeling up to socializing I simply don't log in. In groups, people come to depend on you and it becomes a second full-time job if you are not careful. Your phone number and address are listed on your State website, they have seen your face, they will find and approach you in a restaurant . Having one bad day can cost you friends, quickly. People have a tendency to forget the 500 things you did well, but remember for life the one time you got it wrong.

I do miss being able to help new or struggling providers open up shop/rework the program, in real time, with the swapping of concrete resources from the group. That was something I truly enjoyed. Like with any other group swap, there will always be one or two who are only there to take and make others less willing to give. Again, human nature.

Join groups, make friends, just enter cautiously, and have some fun.
Attached: Id find you.jpg (39.8 KB) 
Blackcat31 10:00 AM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
IME, it seemed a hobby of some providers to try to tear down the personal reputation or break the spirit of other providers who simply did things differently. Not even health or safety issues, silly stuff like choosing primary colors for their playroom.

Conversely, when there was an actual safety issue that needed addressing those same providers were happy to pile on the messenger.

That said, I have been a part of some amazing groups in the past, mostly invite only private forums/groups. I just am horrible at keeping my passwords and can never get back in. I fail at all things tech.

Social media groups can become overwhelming. At least here (daycare.com forum), if I am not feeling up to socializing I simply don't log in. In groups, people come to depend on you and it becomes a second full-time job if you are not careful. Your phone number and address are listed on your State website, they have seen your face, they will find and approach you in a restaurant . Having one bad day can cost you friends, quickly. People have a tendency to forget the 500 things you did well, but remember for life the one time you got it wrong.

I do miss being able to help new or struggling providers open up shop/rework the program, in real time, with the swapping of concrete resources from the group. That was something I truly enjoyed. Like with any other group swap, there will always be one or two who are only there to take and make others less willing to give. Again, human nature.

Truth!
JackandJill 10:20 AM 03-22-2017

You beat me to this - the two Facebook groups I joined were so negative, I felt myself getting brought down. It was just one massive b*tch fest. While I can appreciate the need to talk to people and vent to those who will understand, it was just crazy! And it seeped into my head, I found myself looking for trouble or anticipating issues that [i]could possibly[i]come up with parents.

Anyway, I am sure there are many awesome groups to join, I know my local one is a great resource

If you don't have a local one, start one. I think the more localized your group is, the information exchanged can be more helpful.
Ariana 11:59 AM 03-22-2017
Most of the groups I am aware of require you to prove you are a provider so that you aren't a parent. The #1 issue in those groups is providers "venting" and parents taking screen shots of the vent and reporting the provider or using it against them in some way so most the groups are trying really hard to make sure members are actually providers.

If legally unlicensed, most ask for business cards or a FB business page link or something that can show you are a provider.

In my local group, legally unlicensed isn't a possibility (my state requires you to be licensed) so all providers are checked on the DHS licensing look up site pretty easily.

In other groups, they just require some kind of proof like I mentioned above.
Yes it makes perfect sense for sure especially if you need to keep privacy issues from coming up. I don't have any way to identify as a provider and I told the admin that I understood and moved on. Now that I know it isn't a positive place to be I am not feeling like I missed out. Knowing how I feel about parenting pages and the attacks on there I will stay away!!
Blackcat31 12:02 PM 03-22-2017
Yes it makes perfect sense for sure especially if you need to keep privacy issues from coming up. I don't have any way to identify as a provider and I told the admin that I understood and moved on. Now that I know it isn't a positive place to be I am not feeling like I missed out. Knowing how I feel about parenting pages and the attacks on there I will stay away!!
totally agree! If I want that kind of drama, I'll just watch something on Bravo TV. At least I can fast forward through the really dramatic stuff if I want too!

Plus, my DC families are enough drama for me anyways....
Ariana 12:59 PM 03-22-2017
totally agree! If I want that kind of drama, I'll just watch something on Bravo TV. At least I can fast forward through the really dramatic stuff if I want too!

Plus, my DC families are enough drama for me anyways....
Haha! Yep!

I like venting on here...anonymously
Michelle 10:49 AM 04-03-2017

wow! this is so true!
Unregistered 05:37 AM 04-04-2017
Yes, people will remember the one problem or mistake and forget the 500 wonderful things you do!
Tags:associations, forums, groups
Reply Up