Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dealing With "Not Reusing Sippy Cups”
tmcculloughrn 04:10 PM 03-22-2017
We had our license inspection yesterday. We have parents provide all meals and drinks for the kids.

Our toddler parents send up to 2 cups daily...and we keep those in mini frig units in the classrooms and then take them out when the kids want drinks. Most of the time, they all sit down at the table at morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack and we give them their cups. But if they ask for a drink in between...we get their cup out for them to use at the table and then return it to the frig.

Well, we were cited yesterday because we are in violation of the PA regulation that states, "Food that has been previously served shall be discarded."

So....this means that we are no longer allowed to return sippy cups to the frig to be used again later. Just trying to figure out what to do...since now, once a cup is used..I have to discard it's contents.

Thoughts? Ideas? What do you all do?
Unregistered 04:20 PM 03-22-2017
I work in a daycare here in Alabama and we have 18 sillies with lids and we wash our sippes after all meals and snacks, we use the take & toss sippies.
CityGarden 04:53 PM 03-22-2017
Does this apply if it is just water?
tmcculloughrn 05:08 PM 03-22-2017
Originally Posted by CityGarden:
Does this apply if it is just water?
I don't know for sure...I'm going to email the rep tomorrow and ask. I was thinking...

We could maybe just leave their cups/water bottles out with water and use those all day except for lunch. Then at lunch, they could have the sippy cup they brought that is in the frig...and then after lunch we just discard/dump what's left.
Blackcat31 05:26 AM 03-23-2017
For those times in between meals/snacks that the kids want drinks, could you just use paper cups or Dixie cups that are meant for one time use only?
hwichlaz 06:44 AM 03-23-2017
Water only between meals. I'd either purchase some at the the dollar store or have parents send sports bottles to leave there.
dreamer 08:05 AM 03-23-2017
Get your own sippy cups and throw them in the sink after they're used
Rules in my state also say that all utensils, cups etc must be washed sfter each use, so I can see why you'd get in trouble for putting sippys back in the fridge (even though its kind of silly).

It's not allowed to leave food out either, idk about drinks but it might be the same. Leaving the cups out probably won't fly with licensing!
laundrymom 09:22 AM 03-23-2017
I would ask parents to send drinks in larger reusable bottles. I would then fill cuppies at table from the master bottle for each child. Small amounts at a time. So no saliva is in the master bottle. Then send master bottle home w each family. And wash support cuppies at daycare after each meal.
(Take and toss because you can buy about 50 for $50. Lol)
Originally Posted by tmcculloughrn:
We had our license inspection yesterday. We have parents provide all meals and drinks for the kids.

Our toddler parents send up to 2 cups daily...and we keep those in mini frig units in the classrooms and then take them out when the kids want drinks. Most of the time, they all sit down at the table at morning snack, lunch, and afternoon snack and we give them their cups. But if they ask for a drink in between...we get their cup out for them to use at the table and then return it to the frig.

Well, we were cited yesterday because we are in violation of the PA regulation that states, "Food that has been previously served shall be discarded."

So....this means that we are no longer allowed to return sippy cups to the frig to be used again later. Just trying to figure out what to do...since now, once a cup is used..I have to discard it's contents.

Thoughts? Ideas? What do you all do?

CityGarden 09:23 AM 03-23-2017
We only serve water only.... the kids have their own Klean Kanteen. We refill their water bottle as needed with filtered water.

If I opt to get on the food program at some point then I would be required to serve milk and it would just be the minimum they require in cups.
daycarediva 09:31 AM 03-23-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Water only between meals. I'd either purchase some at the the dollar store or have parents send sports bottles to leave there.
I use plain colored cups that are left out at the kids space on the table all day long. I keep a full pitcher near it. Licensing loves it.

For milk sent with parents, it would be a one time use thing and be dumped after the meal.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:32 AM 03-23-2017
I only allow them to have water between meals. I place their take n go straw cup on the table (they are labeled and they know their color). I have used Dixie cups in the past as they ask but found the cups to be easier on me.
Reply Up