Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Medications
Mad_Pistachio 02:33 PM 09-09-2016
I apologize, I am not sure how to search for certain topics on this forum, which is why I thought I'd ask.

my daughter was diagnosed with oral herpes a week ago. we kept her home this whole week (virus was out by Tuesday, but her lips looked like she crawled out of Bruce Willis movie, and eating was hard; I didn't feel like instructing her teachers to cut all her food into tiny pieces and keep giving her the straw... anyway, it was easier to do at home).
today, one of her fingers got all puffy and red, and we went back to the doctor's office. the doc thinks it is bacterial, but because of a very recent herpes history, she prescribed antiviral (in addition to antibiotics). that stuff needs to be taken 3 times a day. by Monday, we'll find out what it is (puss was taken for cultures), and she will stop one of those.
I will need to take the antiviral to daycare for her to get there once.
how do you normally handle that? do you ask for a prescription, diagnosis, both? dropper, instructions? obviously, she'll need to know what time to give it (I'll figure it out over the weekend, as there has to be minimum 6-hour gap between each dose). but I never had to bring medications to daycare to be given to her, and have no idea.

I'll ask on Monday, but mornings (Mondays especially) are rushed and chaotic, and I want to waste as little time as possible. it's like a homework.

I know some of you may not allow medications at all. I have asked the director very briefly before, and she said she'd give medicine, but because I didn't need it at the time, I didn't go deeper into the topic.
sahm1225 04:11 PM 09-09-2016
The medication has to be in a labeled ziplock bag, the medicine has to have your dds name on it (label from pharmacy), droppers, a doctors note and a handwritten note with directions from the parent.

I would also ask for a dropper for each dose that has to be given and that the medicine be handed to ME only.
Rockgirl 04:29 PM 09-09-2016
Your dc's policy for administering meds should be covered in the written policies--maybe look there?
Mad_Pistachio 05:11 PM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Your dc's policy for administering meds should be covered in the written policies--maybe look there?
the parent handbook is very vague when it comes to policies. it covers a whole lot of payment stuff (late payment, late pickup, and all that), but there isn't much on health (100.1 - keep a child home) or medications (we can give prescribed meds). it does not spesify details, I'm not sure why. maybe she never needed to... but the handbook was the first thing I checked before asking here. I just wanted to get a general idea.
the zipper bag and dropper thing is really good: I haven't thought of that myself.
Mad_Pistachio 05:14 PM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
The medication has to be in a labeled ziplock bag, the medicine has to have your dds name on it (label from pharmacy), droppers, a doctors note and a handwritten note with directions from the parent.

I would also ask for a dropper for each dose that has to be given and that the medicine be handed to ME only.
okay, thank you for the zipper bag reminder. I'll put it in and label, regardless of being asked: it makes everyone's life easier.
I'll ask about the dropper. it does make sense to use a new one every time (no need to add washing droppers to her chore list). we may not need the med after Monday, so I'll just supply one and rob the pharmacy for more if she's not off of antivirals by Tuesday.
Michael 06:43 PM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
I apologize, I am not sure how to search for certain topics on this forum, which is why I thought I'd ask.
One of the better ways to search this forum is the TAG SEARCH. We try to tag every thread.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php
Febby 07:52 AM 09-10-2016
At minimum, you'll need the medication in its original bottle and the dropper. Since it's a prescription, you'll either need the directions that came with it (this is probably on the bottle) or you need a verifiable doctor's note with the directions. Your center will most likely have a form to fill out. If not, then you'll need to write a note that lists your child's full name, the medication to be given, time(s) for the med, and the dosage (which should match what the bottle says). Then sign and date it.

Labeled ziploc bags are great.

And make sure you hand it directly to staff (preferably the director!) Parents leaving meds in bags/backpacks and telling me about it on their way out the door drives me absolutely nuts!
mommyneedsadayoff 12:26 PM 09-10-2016

my daughter was diagnosed with oral herpes a week ago. we kept her home this whole week (virus was out by Tuesday, but her lips looked like she crawled out of Bruce Willis movie, and eating was hard; I didn't feel like instructing her teachers to cut all her food into tiny pieces and keep giving her the straw... anyway, it was easier to do at home).
today, one of her fingers got all puffy and red, and we went back to the doctor's office. the doc thinks it is bacterial, but because of a very recent herpes history, she prescribed antiviral (in addition to antibiotics). that stuff needs to be taken 3 times a day. by Monday, we'll find out what it is (puss was taken for cultures), and she will stop one of those.
I will need to take the antiviral to daycare for her to get there once.
how do you normally handle that? do you ask for a prescription, diagnosis, both? dropper, instructions? obviously, she'll need to know what time to give it (I'll figure it out over the weekend, as there has to be minimum 6-hour gap between each dose). but I never had to bring medications to daycare to be given to her, and have no idea.

I'll ask on Monday, but mornings (Mondays especially) are rushed and chaotic, and I want to waste as little time as possible. it's like a homework.

I know some of you may not allow medications at all. I have asked the director very briefly before, and she said she'd give medicine, but because I didn't need it at the time, I didn't go deeper into the topic.
I would find out what the culture is first. She may not even need the medicine in the first place. (anti virals are kind of pointless in my book, just a disclaimer)
If she needs the meds, I would find a way to give them on your time. Early morning, after daycare, right before bed, ect. If that is not possible, then I would go in later on Monday so I have time to speak with someone and explain the situation. (On a side note, I would be hesitant to allow her return to daycare until the culture come back for the finger. I don't exclude for cold sores, but a mysterious finger condition would make me nervous (HFM, staph, ect.)
Mad_Pistachio 03:48 PM 09-10-2016
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I would find out what the culture is first. She may not even need the medicine in the first place. (anti virals are kind of pointless in my book, just a disclaimer)
If she needs the meds, I would find a way to give them on your time. Early morning, after daycare, right before bed, ect. If that is not possible, then I would go in later on Monday so I have time to speak with someone and explain the situation. (On a side note, I would be hesitant to allow her return to daycare until the culture come back for the finger. I don't exclude for cold sores, but a mysterious finger condition would make me nervous (HFM, staph, ect.)
that's the point: they should find out on Monday, and until then, she is on both. I, too, see antivirals somewhere near homeopathic remedies, but I trust our ped's office: they had her since birth.
unlless I am turned away at the door, she is going: I kept her home all week, I can't anymore. (and if I am turned away, I'm calling my husband, and it's his turn to sit with her. it's enough I put my classes on hold pretty much.)

if I could do it on my time, I would. the instructions is 6 hours between doses, and, again, I can't pick up at 2 for meds. just can't. not anymore.
Mad_Pistachio 03:52 PM 09-10-2016
Originally Posted by Febby:
And make sure you hand it directly to staff (preferably the director!) Parents leaving meds in bags/backpacks and telling me about it on their way out the door drives me absolutely nuts!
she doesn't bring any bags or backpacks (too old for diaper bag, too young for backpack to drag to school), and no way am I leaving it in the cubby. "miss Moosy" will be the one handed it to.
Leigh 07:30 PM 09-10-2016
I have a medication form that a parent must fill out that gives instructions for the med and the reason taken. For meds other than say, antibiotics, I might ask for an action plan from the doctor (for inhalers, it will give me detailed instructions on when to administer the inhaler, when to call for pickup, and when to call 911).

Always keep meds in the original container-I won't accept meds that aren't in the original container. A note from the clinic giving instructions is even better than one from you, especially if there are potential side effects to worry about.
AmyKidsCo 12:44 PM 09-11-2016
If your provider is regulated it'll depend on the rules she needs to follow.

In WI we need medications in the original container with the child's name and dosage written on it, and there's a specific form that needs to be filled out and signed. We also need to document all medication administered in a special logbook.

Can you contact your child's provider today to see what she'd need so you're ready for tomorrow morning?
Mad_Pistachio 01:33 PM 09-11-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Can you contact your child's provider today to see what she'd need so you're ready for tomorrow morning?
I can. I just really hate bothering her over the weekend.
if whatever I provide is not enough tomorrow morning, I can come back later in the day (before nap or something) and fix it.
it didn't occur to me that her requirements may depend on what's required of her...
Mad_Pistachio 06:01 PM 09-11-2016
so, we decided, after all, to not even leave the meds at daycare. if she misses a dose (1 out of 3 per day) of antivirals, probably nothing bad will happen, and chances are she will be off of them by noon: test results should come in tomorrow. the doc had a nasty feeling it's bacterial, and the antibiotics are once-a-day thing, we can take care of that.

it's just not worth it going through the hassle.
hwichlaz 08:18 PM 01-24-2017
so, we decided, after all, to not even leave the meds at daycare. if she misses a dose (1 out of 3 per day) of antivirals, probably nothing bad will happen, and chances are she will be off of them by noon: test results should come in tomorrow. the doc had a nasty feeling it's bacterial, and the antibiotics are once-a-day thing, we can take care of that.

it's just not worth it going through the hassle.
3 times a day....wake up, get home, bed time.
hwichlaz 08:19 PM 01-24-2017
ooops, didn't see the date, lol. Sorry.
Tags:medication, medication - administering
Reply Up