Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Opinion Please!
KayB 08:36 AM 03-10-2017
I have a family that has been out all week. The dad's dad passed away. The family has been with me for 4 years. They have not paid for daycare yet for this week on account of being out of town. They have 3 kids with me. So it is a big chunk of pay I am missing. Would you make them pay daycare payment for this week when they do come back next week? Just didn't want to be harsh if I shouldn't make them
Baby Beluga 08:45 AM 03-10-2017
That's a tough one.

On one hand it's not your fault someone passed away. That is life and it happens. On the other hand I can see where discounting or forgiving tuition for the week would seem like the nice or "right" thing to do.

I have never been in that situation but I think I would base it on the family's history with me. Based on their history with me I would discount but not forgive full tuition.
sharlan 08:59 AM 03-10-2017
What does your contract say?
Sumshine 09:07 AM 03-10-2017
Originally Posted by sharlan:
What does your contract say?
I agree go with what your contract says. All my families are well aware that they pay for their spot not enrollment.

I am not flexible about last-minute absences at all! It puts you in a financial bind! I am however flexible about other things where I can be and I can plan ahead. For example they get one week of 1/2 fee vacation but it has to have a written notice with at least two weeks so I can financially prepare! I also allow for 1/2 fee holidays and I don't charge them for my personal, vacation, or sick days. Since I'm flexible in those manners my parents don't epect to not pay their fees for unexpected instances or sickness and are actually really understanding about it!
childcaremom 09:10 AM 03-10-2017
I would send a reminder that tuition is owed and can be paid via email transfer. Please make sure that it is paid by end of the day, weekend, or whatever end you decide on.

The only exception that I would make would be to say that in light of the situation late fees will not be charged if tuition is paid by Sunday evening. Or whatever end date you pick.

I would still expect payment in full. I have bills to pay.
finsup 09:39 AM 03-10-2017
3 kids...That amount of income is a lot to loose. Do they typically pay based on enrollement? I think, if it were me I would look at the history first. Has there ever been an issue with payments? Lots of requests to not pay? Etc. If they have been excellent in paying, following policies etc AND I could afford it, I may discount the rate or not require payment as a one time thing. But if it would be too difficult money wise, frequently asking for lower rates, not paying, not being great about policies etc then I'd just send a quick "hey dcf! Hope everyone is doing well. I know this is a busy and sad time right now so I wanted to take a minute to remind you daycare payment for the week is due at drop off on Monday. No late fees will be applied. Thanks so much!"
Josiegirl 09:40 AM 03-10-2017
Guess I'm a softie. One of my dcfs lost a baby preterm and I forgave 2 weeks' pay. Years ago I had a dcf with 3 dcks and the mom lost her mom and I wouldn't accept the pay for that week plus I watched her kids and other relative's kids while they had a wake and services, for free. BUT another dcf lost a g'grandma a couple months ago and I sent cards. So my point is, do what you feel comfortable doing and can afford. I think this is a whole different situation than paid vacations, etc., and should be thought about differently. I have nothing in my handbook covering it so it's definitely a case by case matter.

Everybody says business is business and I agree to a point. But when we lost our son, so many people came forward to help us; even the first time back to our mechanic. Whatever it was we had to have done, he ate the bill on it all. I will always remember something like that. I know not many businesses do that but it was very thoughtful.
Ariana 09:57 AM 03-10-2017
The dads dad as in the old grandpa?

This might make me sound harsh but most of us are expecting on some level that grandparents are going to die. I would absolutely expect them to pay. If it was a child or the actual parent or something then I can understand forgiving or discounting but old people die. I would expect payment for sure.
daycarediva 10:04 AM 03-10-2017
Originally Posted by Ariana:
The dads dad as in the old grandpa?

This might make me sound harsh but most of us are expecting on some level that grandparents are going to die. I would absolutely expect them to pay. If it was a child or the actual parent or something then I can understand forgiving or discounting but old people die. I would expect payment for sure.
This, I can empathize with a situation without putting myself into a bind.

In this instance, I would forgive late fees. I would send an email with my condolences, ask about how the kids are handling things, and when they will be returning. I would tack on a bit about understanding bills not being on their mind during this difficult time, and that you are forgiving late fees due to the circumstances, and a balance, with the dates owed for.

I honestly don't feel bad about doing that, either. That's life, bills are due regardless of what is going on.
Blackcat31 10:07 AM 03-10-2017
If you are going to make exceptions as to when and/or why a client wouldn't have to pay their weekly invoice, where do you draw the line?

I don't make business policies based on personal feelings or personal situations so rules are rules no matter what.

NOT to say I wouldn't send a card or express my condolences but the emotional part of the situation would have no bearing on standing by my business policies.
KayB 10:51 AM 03-10-2017
I do not have anything in my policy about funerals. This family is one of my best ones. They pay on time and never given me any problems what so ever. I am NOT mad about them not paying this week at all so will not be adding late charges. I will extend that grace to them. I am also going to be making casseroles for them to freeze for when ever they do not feel like cooking. I am just wondering when they do pay next week when they come back if I should EXPECT them to pay for this week. I just don' want to come across mean
kendallina 11:07 AM 03-10-2017
Originally Posted by KayB:
I do not have anything in my policy about funerals. This family is one of my best ones. They pay on time and never given me any problems what so ever. I am NOT mad about them not paying this week at all so will not be adding late charges. I will extend that grace to them. I am also going to be making casseroles for them to freeze for when ever they do not feel like cooking. I am just wondering when they do pay next week when they come back if I should EXPECT them to pay for this week. I just don' want to come across mean
Yes, you should expect payment for both weeks when they come back. If they are a good family, they will probably (hopefully?) expect to pay it anyways.

Express your condolences, make a casserole, don't ask for late fees, but you run a business and they owe you money. They are taking three spots and you need that payment.
Lil_Diddle 11:31 AM 03-10-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Guess I'm a softie. One of my dcfs lost a baby preterm and I forgave 2 weeks' pay. Years ago I had a dcf with 3 dcks and the mom lost her mom and I wouldn't accept the pay for that week plus I watched her kids and other relative's kids while they had a wake and services, for free. BUT another dcf lost a g'grandma a couple months ago and I sent cards. So my point is, do what you feel comfortable doing and can afford. I think this is a whole different situation than paid vacations, etc., and should be thought about differently. I have nothing in my handbook covering it so it's definitely a case by case matter.

Everybody says business is business and I agree to a point. But when we lost our son, so many people came forward to help us; even the first time back to our mechanic. Whatever it was we had to have done, he ate the bill on it all. I will always remember something like that. I know not many businesses do that but it was very thoughtful.
Completely agree, we are a business but we are also humans with empathy. Depending how close you are with the family. Take mom or dad aside and firstly offer your sincere thoughts for them. Then if they haven't offered to pay and they in the past have been a good family, think about financially what you can offer, no payment, discount, full payment and just remind them that this is your income. I'm sure with all that was going on, coming by to pay you was just an oversight on their part. Besides the emotions, im sure they are dealing with a burden of other issues.
Sumshine 11:42 AM 03-10-2017
Originally Posted by KayB:
I don't think you need a specific funeral policy. What's your absence policy? My parents would know they have to pay me even if they miss a whole week no matter what because my program is based off enrollment not attendance.

Do you invoice them at all? I send out an "upcoming fee" notice every week. I'd just add it to next week of payments due and maybe attach a short statement saying "Given the circumstances I waived any late fees for non payment last week. I am sorry for your loss."
Reply Up