Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Is Termination Effective?
lovemydaycare0912 08:54 PM 03-12-2017
If I am giving a parent a 2 week notice tomorrow that their child's last day will be Friday March 24, 2017, is termination effective tomorrow March 13th with their last day March 24th? Thanks
childcaremom 04:27 AM 03-13-2017
Maybe I'm not understanding the question but...

My contract states 2 weeks notice. I usually give it on a Friday and do two weeks from that date. So if I gave it on last Friday, it would be effective on the Friday March 10 and last day of care would be March 24.

I have an immediate term clause and the term would be effective of whatever date I decide. Sometimes that day, depending on the circumstances.

I require parents to give me a 2 weeks notice, accepted only on Fridays. So same scenario as above, if parent gave notice on Friday March 10, then their last day of care would be March 24. Parents do not have an immediate term option. 2 weeks regardless if child attends or not.

I consider the term notice period "in effect" as soon as I give notice. How long that term notice would be in effect depends on your contract.
childcaremom 04:32 AM 03-13-2017
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
If I am giving a parent a 2 week notice tomorrow that their child's last day will be Friday March 24, 2017, is termination effective tomorrow March 13th with their last day March 24th? Thanks
So you are giving notice on Monday?

I guess I would expect a full 2 weeks notice. So last day of care on Monday March 27.

But, this is your aggressive dcb? If this was my contract, and my policies in play, and my situation, I would get around this by telling dcm that I am unable to meet dcb's needs and my last day I will be providing care is Friday March 24. If dcm wanted to argue that it was not a full 2 weeks then I would tell her that rather than term immediately due to continuing disruptive behaviours that are not improving, even with provider adjustments, I am offering her a longer notice period.

In my experience, once a family is termed, they don't want to drag it out, so I really can't see her wanting to come for the Monday, kwim? I think you'll be fine with the Friday.
trix23 10:02 AM 03-13-2017
What if they just don't come one day after you've given them their 2 weeks termination of care? how to you enforce that?

I am a new provider but I think that I need to remove my 2-week deposit clause until I'm more established. I think it's turning away clients. My only family w 2 kids is withdrawing in 2 weeks due to work changes. :'[
lovemydaycare0912 09:43 PM 03-13-2017
I usually give notice Fridays as well but we were closed. I didn't see dcm today as auntie dropped off and I think she avoided us by having her mom pick up. She didn't respond to my email or text but in turn texted me saying dcb wouldn't be in tomorrow due to snow. I'm closed anyway. Well see how the rest of week goes.

I have a deposit for all new families. All old families enrolled after 2 week deposit I let them know if they don't pay it will go to court. My last family I sent this too got scared and paid so it worked out fine.
Blackcat31 06:30 AM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
I usually give notice Fridays as well but we were closed. I didn't see dcm today as auntie dropped off and I think she avoided us by having her mom pick up. She didn't respond to my email or text but in turn texted me saying dcb wouldn't be in tomorrow due to snow. I'm closed anyway. Well see how the rest of week goes.

I have a deposit for all new families. All old families enrolled after 2 week deposit I let them know if they don't pay it will go to court. My last family I sent this too got scared and paid so it worked out fine.
I give termination notices on Friday's as well but in this case, what I would have done is e-mailed the parent with the termination notice and then requested the paper form be signed and dated (by parent) the following business day.

I would not agree to provide services beyond the final date I provide (which would be two weeks from the Friday I e-mailed).

I require parents to acknowledge the e-mail. Depending on the type of family and my working relationship with them, I may have said that services would be terminated immediately if no acknowledgement of the e-mail was given.
lovemydaycare0912 10:53 AM 03-14-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I give termination notices on Friday's as well but in this case, what I would have done is e-mailed the parent with the termination notice and then requested the paper form be signed and dated (by parent) the following business day.

I would not agree to provide services beyond the final date I provide (which would be two weeks from the Friday I e-mailed).

I require parents to acknowledge the e-mail. Depending on the type of family and my working relationship with them, I may have said that services would be terminated immediately if no acknowledgement of the e-mail was given.

Good idea. I will send dcm an email saying I need her to sign the term notice tomorrow. I refuse to have dcb past his last day plus have a new child starting anyway.
Tags:termination
Reply Up