Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My First Incident
TXhomedaycare 10:55 AM 03-16-2017
We decided to walk up to the park and eat lunch today since it is spring break. My husband went with us since he was off. Dcb 3 yo threw a rock while we were at the playground and I told him to not throw that rock because it was large and he could hurt someone. Sure enough he picks the rock back up and throws it straight in the air and it lands on the top of dcg head. She had a small but a little deep cut on her head and it was bleeding. I made all the kids sit down and I was able to stop the bleeding but I was thinking she might need a stitch or two so I called mom for pick up and she pulled up just as we were walking home (she is a student so she was at home and lives very close to us). Mom was not worried but said she called dad and he as freaking out but she said she is just going to take dcg home and clean it up but not take her to the doctor (she said oh that little thing when I showed it to her upon arrival). I assumed I needed to do an incident report so I filled it out and had mom sign it and I called licensing to see what I need to do or even to see if this is a big enough issue to report. I am so upset with myself for not taking away the rock from dcb and upset that he did not follow directions. Do I notify his parents or just leave it? This is my 3rd year doing this and this is my first incident report so I am a little worried about how her dad is going to react.
jenboo 11:17 AM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
We decided to walk up to the park and eat lunch today since it is spring break. My husband went with us since he was off. Dcb 3 yo threw a rock while we were at the playground and I told him to not throw that rock because it was large and he could hurt someone. Sure enough he picks the rock back up and throws it straight in the air and it lands on the top of dcg head. She had a small but a little deep cut on her head and it was bleeding. I made all the kids sit down and I was able to stop the bleeding but I was thinking she might need a stitch or two so I called mom for pick up and she pulled up just as we were walking home (she is a student so she was at home and lives very close to us). Mom was not worried but said she called dad and he as freaking out but she said she is just going to take dcg home and clean it up but not take her to the doctor (she said oh that little thing when I showed it to her upon arrival). I assumed I needed to do an incident report so I filled it out and had mom sign it and I called licensing to see what I need to do or even to see if this is a big enough issue to report. I am so upset with myself for not taking away the rock from dcb and upset that he did not follow directions. Do I notify his parents or just leave it? This is my 3rd year doing this and this is my first incident report so I am a little worried about how her dad is going to react.
Anytime a child leaves a mark on another child, i write a reoort that the parent's sign.
TXhomedaycare 11:23 AM 03-16-2017
I did a report for the dcg that got hurt but do I send home a note to the parents of dcb that threw the rock ?
AmyKidsCo 12:18 PM 03-16-2017
Since you wrote up a report I would let the parents know, in a non-emotional, matter-of-fact way. "Just wanted to let you know I had to write an Incident Report today..." Try to avoid sounding like you blame the child (even if you do) or that you want them to punish him at home, it's more so they won't be blindsided if they hear about it from someone else.
jenboo 12:35 PM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Anytime a child leaves a mark on another child, i write a reoort that the parent's sign.
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
I did a report for the dcg that got hurt but do I send home a note to the parents of dcb that threw the rock ?
I mean, I write one for both children.
So I write a report for the child who got hurt.
Then I write one saying "Timmy threw a rock and hit another child on the head, leaving a mark. I told Timmy it is dangerous to throw rocks and removed from the group".
Baby Beluga 02:59 PM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I mean, I write one for both children.
So I write a report for the child who got hurt.
Then I write one saying "Timmy threw a rock and hit another child on the head, leaving a mark. I told Timmy it is dangerous to throw rocks and removed from the group".
I had the same thought. Depending on the severity of the situation and mark I would also write a report for both children.
Febby 04:18 PM 03-16-2017
I work in a center, but I always write an incident report for behavior whenever a child's misbehavior causes injury to another child. I keep it very simple and matter of fact, but in this case, I would include the fact that he had thrown one rock and was told not to throw them shortly before he threw the second rock.
daycare 07:19 PM 03-16-2017
Originally Posted by Febby:
I work in a center, but I always write an incident report for behavior whenever a child's misbehavior causes injury to another child. I keep it very simple and matter of fact, but in this case, I would include the fact that he had thrown one rock and was told not to throw them shortly before he threw the second rock.
I agree with this. I would write exactly what happened.
Boy threw rock
Dcp asked not to throw rocks it's dangerous
Boy threw rock again hit school on head, leaving 1/2 inch gap.
Dcp parents were called for medical pick up
Dcb was removed from group and reminded not to throw rocks.

I would had zero emotion. Sometimes when it write the I do it on practice paper then cross out anything that is emotion and put it on the report.

The parents of the boy need to know. I always say cover you bottom in every way
Reply Up