Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Get a Break During The Day?
sahm2three 08:30 AM 10-05-2010
Like some point during the day when you are not physically doing something for someone or holding someone??? Even now I have the colicky baby strapped on while he screams bloody murder. He doesnt' sleep. I had a ds with colic, and I had hoped I wouldn't have to deal with it again. Ugh. He is such a sweet baby, but sooooooooooooooooooooo miserable. If it isn't him, it is one of the other kids, ALL DAY LONG. Even during nap time. There is always someone fighting sleep. I told the kids it is my birthday week and I need them all to be very good, but so far, it isn't working! LOL! I end up doing all of my cleaning after hours because I don't get a break. I have lost 20 pounds since I started, and not because I am working out, I just don't get a break. I am running all day long. I don't know if I just need to tweak some things with my schedule. How do you get everyone to sleep at the same time? What are your toddler to 4 year old nap times like? I need something to give or I am not going to be able to keep up this pace! Ten hour days every day with no break is beginning to wear me out!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:48 AM 10-05-2010
I phase morning nap out by about 8 - 10 months, everyone takes an after lunch nap. I work 430 a to 6 p m-f. nap is the only time I get that I can sit, reflect on the day, snuggle the dog. (that helps by the way! lol) My dog is my therapy. =-) There are days, weeks sometimes that are hard. That I may get 3-5 minutes break. But then there are glorious hours spent just watching the angels rest.
SilverSabre25 08:55 AM 10-05-2010
I do, only because I'm very, very lucky. My DH works a 4-10 split shift, so he's home from 1:45 to 5:15 every afternoon, and all day on Thursday. He's my full partner in this venture and takes care of the kids for a couple hours every afternoon so I can get a break (often a nap because DD still gets up at night at 3 years old!). He is my saving grace and a huge part of how I manage to do this day after day!
sahm2three 09:04 AM 10-05-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I phase morning nap out by about 8 - 10 months, everyone takes an after lunch nap. I work 430 a to 6 p m-f. nap is the only time I get that I can sit, reflect on the day, snuggle the dog. (that helps by the way! lol) My dog is my therapy. =-) There are days, weeks sometimes that are hard. That I may get 3-5 minutes break. But then there are glorious hours spent just watching the angels rest.
OMGosh! There is NO way any of my babies would make it until after lunch nap if I cut morning nap out. Problem is, they want to cat nap about three or four times between drop off in the morning and lunch, and I just can't do that. We have to figure out how to get them to sleep for just two naps.
SandeeAR 09:05 AM 10-05-2010
Nap time is all day long here LOL. I have 2 y/o, 11 mo, 6 mo, and 2 mo. Some one is sleeping all the time. I just take a break to sit down when they are happy. Right now, the 2 y/o is playing with playdoh, the 6 mo is on the floor playing and the 2 mo, is in the swing. The 11 mo isn't here today.

Edited to add: Sometimes I get lucky....like right now. 2 mo fell asleep in bouncy while feeding 2 y/o. 2 y/o is now down for nap, 6 mo, is going to sleep in the swing as I type! WooHoo! Break time for me!
melskids 09:07 AM 10-05-2010
most days mine are asleep by 12:30/12:45. that gives me time to clean up/catch up, and then hang out on the computer or catch up on something on the DVR (i'm embarassingly addicted to reality tv and tape them all) then they are all up and at 'em again by 2:30. ive also gotten really good at doing clean up as its needed, rather then waiting until the end of the day. when the last kiddo leaves for the night, i am done!!! and to be honest, i'd rather give up a mid afternoon break, if it means not having to do anything daycare related after hours.
DancingQueen 09:14 AM 10-05-2010
I do. right now as a matter a fact.

We bring my dd to preschool for 12pm - come back and I turn on the lullabyes and they all go to their nap spots and wait for me to put them down. The lullabyes work every single time with these three.

At 2pm I wake them all up and we go get my daughter.

I have a 17 mo old that still needs a morning nap but I don't let her do more than 50 minutes. I even set the timer on my stove. Otherwise she won't do her PM nap and THAT nap is the one that matters to me because that is when everyone is down and I get a TRUE break.

I'd be tweaking your off scheduled nappers nap times so that they will still go down for an afternoon nap.

Example - had a 9 month old at one point that napped 2x per day. morning for 3 hours and PM for 1 hour. I told mom and dad that PM nap was our long nap and they were find with me juggling it around.
Day one I put her down for morning nap and woke her up 1.5 hours in - she was exhausted by time PM nap came around and napped well. The next few days I made the AM nap less and less and made the PM nap longer and longer and she quickly fell into the same schedule as everyone else.

The hard part is when you have older kids that just either WONT nap or won't be quiet so that OTHERS can nap. That is one thing I haven't been able to work around yet.
boysx5 09:18 AM 10-05-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
most days mine are asleep by 12:30/12:45. that gives me time to clean up/catch up, and then hang out on the computer or catch up on something on the DVR (i'm embarassingly addicted to reality tv and tape them all) then they are all up and at 'em again by 2:30. ive also gotten really good at doing clean up as its needed, rather then waiting until the end of the day. when the last kiddo leaves for the night, i am done!!! and to be honest, i'd rather give up a mid afternoon break, if it means not having to do anything daycare related after hours.
I'm the same way. I try to get everyone down at the sametime and usually all but my six month will do this most days.
handemom 09:25 AM 10-05-2010
Before i had a 3 year old and 5 year old. In the beginning they refused to nap. They pulled every card out, saying "my dad says i don't have to" right down to plainly not.... their biggest problem was they wanted to nap on the couch, and if and when i had my own time, it was spent in the living room. I had it.... So I made them lay in the other room on nap mats, and take quite time at least. wether you wanted to sleep on not, you had to stay in there and be quite.After a week of doing this, they decided to start sleeping on their own. It was bliss. even though it was only 45 minutes. It was still wonderful!

now I am looking into watching a 9 month old and i am sure that is all about to change, and it will be my turn to be posting questions

good luck
momma2girls 09:36 AM 10-05-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
OMGosh! There is NO way any of my babies would make it until after lunch nap if I cut morning nap out. Problem is, they want to cat nap about three or four times between drop off in the morning and lunch, and I just can't do that. We have to figure out how to get them to sleep for just two naps.
My 8-10 month babies could have never gone without a am nap either!! SOme of them wake up at 5:30 am!!!!
tenderhearts 10:13 AM 10-05-2010
I used to and it was sooooo nice. However since I've taken on the 2 babies I have at least one of them up for the majority of everyone elses nap/quiet time. It's not too bad right now cuz she doesn't crawl so I can get stuff done while she sits and plays.
BentleysBands 10:13 AM 10-05-2010
we have 2 naps here..in shifts...3 sleep from 10-12 noon...all eat lunch then the 2 that shows at 11a go down for nap. In the morning when the 3 nap is usually when i cat nap or do something LOL
countrymom 10:59 AM 10-05-2010
yes I do, nap is from 1-3.30pm but thats when I do my things. People don't get it, I have 5 kids all day and then when they go home my own 4 kids are around so I wouldn't get a break till almost 10pm when it was sleep time. I find if I don't get that break, I would burn myself out, I too need to wind down and get things done.
Jewels 11:15 AM 10-05-2010
I do, but I don't have any babies right now, my youngest is 15 months, and then I go to 17months, 22 months, and then over 2, sometimes My 15 and 17 month olds still need am naps! I try to hold them off, but If I know early that its not going to happen I put them down at 9am, up at 10am, and their usually back down by 1:30, but 80% of the time they are fine til 12:15pm, when everyone goes down after lunch, and they go down until 2:30-3pm, I split most kids up into seperate rooms, so they don't disturb each other, and I've never had an issue getting them to sleep, I have one girl who doesn't nap since she comes at 1:30, but I put her in the playroom with the TV, one of the only times that tV is every turned on durin g the day, today everyone was down at 12:15, and then I read a book for 30minutes, and rested for 30 more minutes, and now I'm doing this, and then I'm going to turn my Kitchen TV on, and start cleaning lunch, while watching something, until they get up at 2:30 or so, And I don't plan on a baby until next year if that, I love my afternoon break! But sometimes the little ones are awake, if they take morning naps, but I still sit down and watch something on DVR, if they are awake, cause they just hang out with me, and I still want some kind of relaxing time. Now i used to never take a break, I would use all of nap time to strictly clean clean clean, but it became to much, so I always get the kitchen nice and clean, and the dining room, after nap we have story time, then cleanup when we clean up the toys, and now I just get up and do my vacuuming and mopping in the AM while everyone is sleeping, and the daycare kids haven't showed up yet, and it makes my days so much nicer.
SunflowerMama 11:34 AM 10-05-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
'
This sounds very much like my day. They are down between 12:30p and 1p and most are up about 3p/3:30p. I have 6 (4 older ones and then 2 little ones) and I'm usually waking my 2 oldest at 4p. But I also clean as the day goes on and have the kids help so that when everyone is gone I'm done and that really helps.

I have 2 little ones (12 months and 15 months) and both are on one nap. Occassionally they will take a little cap nap for 30/45min if it's a rough morning but usually we can work through it until our afternoon nap.
SunflowerMama 11:39 AM 10-05-2010
Sorry I posted twice by accident and can't delete this.
misol 11:41 AM 10-05-2010
About 2-3 days a week I am lucky enough to have a 30 minute break. Nap time is 1-3 here. There is usually about 30 minutes between the time the last child falls asleep and the time the first child wakes up. Often though, I spend that time cleaning the kitchen or picking up the playroom.
momofsix 11:54 AM 10-05-2010
When I was trying to get one of my little ones to stop taking cat naps, i would just put her to sleep in the playroom with all the other kids in the morning. She was in a protected area, but it was not quiet at all. Her morning naps that she did get in were enough to keep her happy, yet they became shorter and less often, so soon she was able to get in a good solid afternoon nap. She was so much happier once she got some good sleep in rather than little naps here and there
Now I get anywhere from 1-3 hours of time when they're all sleeping, except for a 6 year old who plays quietly by himself. It's absolutely wonderful! I eat llunch, do devotions, do some cleaning...even sometimes get to read a book! I really hope that you can work something out so you get a break, we put in long hours and need at least a little one to avoid burnout! There have been times in my daycare where I didn't get a break, and it was not good for me OR my marriage--by the time the kiddos left, i was so exhausted and tired of having kids on me all day, I certainly didn't want a grown man hanging all over me
Preschool/daycare teacher 04:35 PM 10-05-2010
We get a break sometimes, too, but then we don't take babies anymore! Somehow we have finally gotten our kids in the routine that once they go to sleep (some days take longer than others, depending on how hard they try to stay awake), they're usually asleep until wake-up time. There are even times when I have trouble getting 2 or 3 of them to get up so we can pick up cots and get snack! After they go to sleep there's lunch clean-up and some general cleaning, but after that's done, it's break time for a few minutes. It hasn't always been this nice though! So I'm certainly relishing this new period!
I have found, though, that they seem to sleep much better and longer when they lay on cots instead of nap mats. There was a short period of time when we didn't have enough cots for every child, so we'd have to place one or two of them on a mat. Those children never seemed to go to sleep as fast, sleep as well, or stay asleep as long as the children sleeping on the cots. So if cots are possibly in the budget, I find them well worth it! It's worth my sanity, and the kid's improved attitudes in the afternoon after getting a good nap in
Former Teacher 06:55 PM 10-05-2010
The little guy I watch is 2 and half years old. He has a 4 month old baby sister. Before she came along I would nap him at 12:30 but then he would be up by 1:45-2:00. Just so happened one day schedule was off and he layed down at 1:30. I left at 3:00 and he was STILL sleeping. Mom said he didnt wake up until 4!!!!!

I since talked to mom and she loves the fact that he is still sleeping when she comes downstairs from work (she works from home). This way she gets a rest. I love it because my day really ends at 1:30 ish or so even though I don't leave until 3

As far as the baby is concerned, there is so much noise and activity between me and the little man that yes even though only 4 months old, she does not sleep (maybe 10-15 mins here and there) SOO...she naps when he does
MyAngels 08:15 PM 10-05-2010
Like some point during the day when you are not physically doing something for someone or holding someone??? Even now I have the colicky baby strapped on while he screams bloody murder. He doesnt' sleep. I had a ds with colic, and I had hoped I wouldn't have to deal with it again. Ugh. He is such a sweet baby, but sooooooooooooooooooooo miserable. If it isn't him, it is one of the other kids, ALL DAY LONG. Even during nap time. There is always someone fighting sleep. I told the kids it is my birthday week and I need them all to be very good, but so far, it isn't working! LOL! I end up doing all of my cleaning after hours because I don't get a break. I have lost 20 pounds since I started, and not because I am working out, I just don't get a break. I am running all day long. I don't know if I just need to tweak some things with my schedule. How do you get everyone to sleep at the same time? What are your toddler to 4 year old nap times like? I need something to give or I am not going to be able to keep up this pace! Ten hour days every day with no break is beginning to wear me out!
How old is your colicky baby? If he's small enough you might want to consider swaddling him. I've had a couple over the years that this really helped them to be able to sleep. To answer your question, though, I can usually get all of my kids (7) down to sleep by 12:45, and they rest or nap until 3:00. If I have babies, though, I usually like to have them nap in the morning so that I can spend some one-on-one time with them while the older kids sleep. I only take one baby at a time, though, so I don't mind giving up my break time to spend cuddling.
sahm2three 08:27 PM 10-05-2010
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
How old is your colicky baby? If he's small enough you might want to consider swaddling him. I've had a couple over the years that this really helped them to be able to sleep. To answer your question, though, I can usually get all of my kids (7) down to sleep by 12:45, and they rest or nap until 3:00. If I have babies, though, I usually like to have them nap in the morning so that I can spend some one-on-one time with them while the older kids sleep. I only take one baby at a time, though, so I don't mind giving up my break time to spend cuddling.
The colicky baby is 6 months old. Not at ALL cuddly. He is constantly kicking his feet and hates being swaddled. My own son who was colicky was a huge challenge, but not much that I found to help my son hasn't helped this little guy. Part of the issue I think is that mom doesn't think he is colicky, just fussy. First time mom and only child = held all the time and just no experience to know any different. I think his formula should be changed, but how do you tell them that? I have asked if they have tried different formulas and she said yes. I think I may have to research formulas. I never used formula myself. I am hoping for a better day tomorrow!
MyAngels 08:41 PM 10-05-2010
The colicky baby is 6 months old. Not at ALL cuddly. He is constantly kicking his feet and hates being swaddled. My own son who was colicky was a huge challenge, but not much that I found to help my son hasn't helped this little guy. Part of the issue I think is that mom doesn't think he is colicky, just fussy. First time mom and only child = held all the time and just no experience to know any different. I think his formula should be changed, but how do you tell them that? I have asked if they have tried different formulas and she said yes. I think I may have to research formulas. I never used formula myself. I am hoping for a better day tomorrow!
I feel for you, this is not fun at all. I had a little girl like this once, I really was at my wits end trying to figure out what to do to help her, when it seemed like almost overnight she did a complete 180. She turned into one of my favorite kids of all time. She went to school last fall, but still stops in every once in a while - she's like a ray of sunshine. So keep the faith, it will work out sooner than you think!
misol 01:29 PM 10-06-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:
...by the time the kiddos left, i was so exhausted and tired of having kids on me all day, I certainly didn't want a grown man hanging all over me

I laughed out loud at this one because I know exactly how you feel!
Tags:break
Reply Up