Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Insurance>Daycare Insurance?
kknbearsmommy 05:06 PM 02-01-2011
I live in michigan and I need to know if daycare insurance in required. My laptop was in a car accident and I filed a claim with my insurance company and now they are saying that they are going to drop me from their insurance unless I have daycare insurance. I didn't think I had to have any and I want to know what I am right before calling them.
momofsix 06:00 PM 02-01-2011
It is not required in order to be licensed. It may be required legally by your insurance co. though. I had the same problem, when I enquired about daycare insurance through my homeowner's ,then they required it-even though they themselves wouldn't cover me. I think their logic is, if a child broke an arm, for example, at your house-your homeowner's would be responsible for medical bills, but if you are running a daycare then your risk has just gone up much more than a "regular" homeowner and should not be covered under normal homeowners.
May I ask what insurance you have? We have Farm Bureau.
dEHmom 04:48 AM 02-02-2011
No idea what insurance is for you. I am in Canada, I just added 2 daycare kids to my home owners policy, each kid is 25/yr, so for 2 kids added at an additional liability of 1 000 000 each, I'm only paying an extra 4 dollars a month.
Sunny Day 06:03 AM 02-02-2011
I'm also in Canada and because I had 4 or more daycare kids, they required me to have extra insurance....my husband ended up dealing with it all because it just got added into our home owners, so I'm not sure how much it was. Not much though.
dEHmom 06:30 AM 02-02-2011
I just added 2 kids just incase there is ever a time with a 5 minutes overlap or something when a parent is late.

The 4 dollars a month for 2 000 000 extra liability (1 mil each) seems worth it to me. It's not worth not having it should something ever happen. And it's small enough amount to add, hubby doesn't even know about it
kknbearsmommy 06:57 AM 02-02-2011
I have progressive but it is through a place called meemic.
Unregistered 07:25 AM 02-02-2011
While there may not be a requirement for daycrare insurance, you DO need it. Homeowners Ins Companies are putting exclusionary language into thier policies all the time.
Simply put - your Homeowners company is not charging for the business you have and they will do ALL they can to get away from a claim. Bite the bullet and get some real insurace, protect yourself, your family, your HOME!
momofsix 08:13 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by kknbearsmommy:
I have progressive but it is through a place called meemic.
OK. I had to get a seperate policy. About $350/year.
lil angels 08:20 AM 02-02-2011
I have a rider right now and am thinking of changing I went to conference and the Adult and Children's alliance were there and they carry affordable insurance basted on the lumber of kids you have. You do have to be licensed. www.acainc.org or 1-800-433-8108
Childminder 09:35 AM 02-02-2011
I am from MI and while insurance is not required for licensing it is recommended for liability. I already was licensed through State Farm for home owners and just added to the policy for daycare. It is about $225 per year more and that is also a deduction on your taxes. As sue happy as people are I don't feel comfortable w/o it. People report you to the state if you try to collect for money owed, I wouldn't put it past them to make up some liability issue and come after you for that.
Tags:insurance, liability
Reply Up