Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Screen Clients?
MaryFlowers 11:38 AM 10-28-2010
I am wondering what is your screening process, if any, for making sure that the family and child is a good fit for your business and home.
Do you ask them about their parenting practices? Nutrition habits? Past providers? Etc.

Thank you!
AfterSchoolMom 11:54 AM 10-28-2010
I had a situation last year where a provider in the neighborhood closed, and so ALL of her families called me. It was great, but I obviously didn't have room for everyone, so I called the provider and asked her opinion. I decided after that that I'd ask all families that came from home providers for that provider's contact information. If they are reluctant to give it to me, then I know that something's up.

I think though, that no matter what your screening process, some "bad eggs" will get through, whether it's the kids or the parents.
marniewon 12:25 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I had a situation last year where a provider in the neighborhood closed, and so ALL of her families called me. It was great, but I obviously didn't have room for everyone, so I called the provider and asked her opinion. I decided after that that I'd ask all families that came from home providers for that provider's contact information. If they are reluctant to give it to me, then I know that something's up.

I think though, that no matter what your screening process, some "bad eggs" will get through, whether it's the kids or the parents.
Would you actually call the previous provider? Or you just ask to see the parent's reaction?
momma2girls 12:29 PM 10-28-2010
I started doing this- If a parent asks me for my references, I ask for theirs from previous daycares.
AfterSchoolMom 12:47 PM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Would you actually call the previous provider? Or you just ask to see the parent's reaction?
In this case, I called her, because I had 5 families to choose from and could only take one. The only other reason I'd call would be if I really suspected that something was "off".
grandmom 01:44 PM 10-28-2010
I spend a fair amount of time on the phone initially. Asking about the child, why they are leaving (if that's the case), etc. Then at the interview ask the spouse similar questions.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what is said in the interview. I've found parents think my "natural consequences" discipline is great in the interview, but when their child get's to experience it, they aren't happy.

Good luck.
Blackcat31 01:51 PM 10-28-2010
I've also had experiences where I have heard from previous providers that a family is awful and the family turned out to be great for me. So it definitely is a "find the right fit" thing. I ask all kinds of ???'s to parents about parenting styles etc. I also have a little questionaire that they fill out that tells me about their child and his/her home life. It has ? like, how many sibs, pets, how would you describe the childs temperament, do they like new people, do they have a special blanket or lovie, are they outgoing/shy, what is favorite video, books, foods, activities, been in dc before, moved a lot etc. It just gives me a little insight to the child and their homelife. I am also very clear that I am interviewing them as much as they are interviewing me. First two weeks are trial period where either party can opt out. I have had families love me yet I didn't love them and vice versa.
MaryFlowers 09:18 PM 10-28-2010
Good to know!
I was thinking if I did decide to run a family daycare, I would like to do a screening, but I didn't know if it was something that was actually done (I have always been a SAHM).

Thank you!
Tags:interviews, screening parents
Reply Up