Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Winter Temperatures
gbcc 05:06 AM 01-29-2010
What is everyones opinion on going outside. The regulations say we have to go out weather permitting daily. No other guidelines. Today is a half day which means a full house. I would like to send them outside but not sure what the cut off is. The rule is they must have hats, scarf, gloves, boots, and snowpants or stay inside. It will be around 15 today.
mac60 05:39 AM 01-29-2010
I would not go out, and if it was my child, I would not want them to go out. We never go outside during the winter. Our outside times are May thru September. After that, we are inside only, unless we have an unusually mild fall. There was a time that I did let the older preschoolers go outside to play a little in the snow, but the time I had involved in getting them ready, and the few minutes they played outside then wanted in because they were cold, and the mess I had in my family room from the snowy clothes and boots, not worth the hassle at all, so I quit doing it.
gbcc 05:51 AM 01-29-2010
LOL! I did not send my son today! He has asthma and I felt it was too cold. Some of the parents brought snow stuff for the older 2nd and 3rd grade children. I don't have to help them and they are allowed to play outside on their own. I hate the cold though so I am a bad judge of if it is too cold! We live in NY so for the most part we are all used to it, except me!
originalkat 06:13 AM 01-29-2010
It snowed here and schools are cancelled so I only have one here today. Happy Friday!!! We wont be going out today because we dont have winter gear but if the kids had snow boots etc... I might take them out for a little while to play in the snow.
momma2girls 06:13 AM 01-29-2010
Here in Iowa we have bad winters!! I do not allow daycare children to go outside in the Winter at all!!! We do go out if temp. is above 60 degrees out!!
safechner 06:15 AM 01-29-2010
I wouldnt send the kids out side. It is not worth to let the kids get sick. I normally take the kids outside around 45 temp but the problem is, the parents dont put coats on their kids so we are stuck to stay indoor. Sometimes, my husband said what are they thinking!
Persephone 06:16 AM 01-29-2010
When I worked at the daycare center we always said that if it was below freezing we couldn't go out. So under 32 we stayed in. (Or over like 95). We would play outside in the snow if it was over the 32.

That said I would give anything to take my son outside to let him run!! It's 19 here. Even last week when it got in the 50's (very odd!) it was too wet to go out in the yard. We don't have a drive way so that was out.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:19 AM 01-29-2010
I think it's too cold...they stated the wind chill would be sub zero today. If they do go out, I wouldn't let them past 10-15 min. at a time. It's FREEEZING!
Carole's Daycare 06:25 AM 01-29-2010
I live in MN, where below zero winter temps are not uncommon. Right now it is -16 , with a high of 14 anticipated. My school agers are allowed to play outside after school from 15 above and up, as long as the wind chill isnt bad and they are dressed appropriately. They come in when they get cold. I only take my preschoolers out on the warmest days here. If it gets in the 20's we go for it. I do try to at least get them outside for 20 mn or more once a week, weather permitting. Snowsuits and boots are difficult to maneuver in, and once they fall in a big snow pile they are pretty much ready to quit. This year I had a couple of relatively warm periods but we still couldn't go out because I had a mom who couldn't afford snowpants and boots after buying her cigarrettes. Then my other parents were actually upset at me because their kids couldn't play outside. They grow them tough here! lol. In fact, a few parents went and found secondhand and donated snowpants, boots, hats and mittens so if someone forgot I'd have no excuse. My licensor would be very perturbed if I did not go out at all, no matter how much I personally despise the cold, being a transplant to MN from Virginia.
gbcc 06:27 AM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
When I worked at the daycare center we always said that if it was below freezing we couldn't go out. So under 32 we stayed in. (Or over like 95). We would play outside in the snow if it was over the 32.

That said I would give anything to take my son outside to let him run!! It's 19 here. Even last week when it got in the 50's (very odd!) it was too wet to go out in the yard. We don't have a drive way so that was out.
Where are you located? It was 60 on Monday and now today 15! That is crazy. I am having the same problem though, everything melted, it was nice enough to go out but too muddy!
Pammie 06:27 AM 01-29-2010
My handbook states that we spend some time outdoors each dry day when the temperature is between 45-95...parents are responsible to provide appropriate clothing for the day's weather.
momma2girls 06:28 AM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
I would not go out, and if it was my child, I would not want them to go out. We never go outside during the winter. Our outside times are May thru September. After that, we are inside only, unless we have an unusually mild fall. There was a time that I did let the older preschoolers go outside to play a little in the snow, but the time I had involved in getting them ready, and the few minutes they played outside then wanted in because they were cold, and the mess I had in my family room from the snowy clothes and boots, not worth the hassle at all, so I quit doing it.
I am totally with you there!! I remember about 4 yrs. ago, it was about 40 some degrees out, and I allowed all of theolder children over 4 go out- I had to get 3 children all ready snow pants, mittens, hats, etc.. it probably took about 20 min. or more to get everyone ready, and they were out for 5 min. they said they wanted to go in, they were too cold, that was the end of that one!!!!!! Then I had a huge mess of wet coats, mittens , hats, snowpants, laying all over- I got snow all over everywhere!! IT just is totally not worth it!!!
momma2girls 06:31 AM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by Carole's Daycare:
I live in MN, where below zero winter temps are not uncommon. Right now it is -16 , with a high of 14 anticipated. My school agers are allowed to play outside after school from 15 above and up, as long as the wind chill isnt bad and they are dressed appropriately. They come in when they get cold. I only take my preschoolers out on the warmest days here. If it gets in the 20's we go for it. I do try to at least get them outside for 20 mn or more once a week, weather permitting. Snowsuits and boots are difficult to maneuver in, and once they fall in a big snow pile they are pretty much ready to quit. This year I had a couple of relatively warm periods but we still couldn't go out because I had a mom who couldn't afford snowpants and boots after buying her cigarrettes. Then my other parents were actually upset at me because their kids couldn't play outside. They grow them tough here! lol. In fact, a few parents went and found secondhand and donated snowpants, boots, hats and mittens so if someone forgot I'd have no excuse. My licensor would be very perturbed if I did not go out at all, no matter how much I personally despise the cold, being a transplant to MN from Virginia.
Hi fellow midwesterner!!! We come up to Minneapolis area once a yr.
We are coming up in March to stay for 3 days!! I can't wait!! Hopefully the weather is warmer for both of us, and the roads are great!!! We already had to cancel once due to your 17 inches of snow during Xmas break!!!
Persephone 06:33 AM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Where are you located? It was 60 on Monday and now today 15! That is crazy. I am having the same problem though, everything melted, it was nice enough to go out but too muddy!
Southern Indiana
momofboys 06:35 AM 01-29-2010
PErsonally I think 15-20 degrees is too cold to be outside & not worth the effort. I know my own son would NOT be happy to be outdoors no matter how much I bundled up. My policy is that it has to be over 30 degrees, realistically closer to 40 before we will play outdoors. I take the windchill into factor also. At my older boys' public school it has to be above 32 for them to be allowed to have outdoor recess.
Carole's Daycare 06:50 AM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Hi fellow midwesterner!!! We come up to Minneapolis area once a yr.
We are coming up in March to stay for 3 days!! I can't wait!! Hopefully the weather is warmer for both of us, and the roads are great!!! We already had to cancel once due to your 17 inches of snow during Xmas break!!!
We had a massive snowstorm last Easter too lol. I will pray for good weather and safe travels during March for you.
momma2girls 07:30 AM 01-29-2010
We had a massive snowstorm last Easter too lol. I will pray for good weather and safe travels during March for you.
THanks so much and happy to meet you on here!! Are you close to Minneapolis???
momofsix 10:59 AM 01-29-2010
https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html

I found this link on daycare.com a long time ago when I was thinking about deciding when it's too cold to go out!

SimpleMom 11:14 AM 01-29-2010
We go out if it's 20 degrees above zero (windchills have to stay above zero) and below 98 degrees (minus the humidity). This year we haven't been able to go out much and it's the first year that's happened in the last 5 years Poor kids are so cooped up.

We usually stay out up to 20 minutes, but they are allowed to come inside the porch if they are done or to warm up and such.
gbcc 12:36 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:

I found this link on daycare.com a long time ago when I was thinking about deciding when it's too cold to go out!

Oh, that is great! Thank you. We didn't end up going out. I gave them the option of a craft, board game or movie!
Michael 12:51 PM 01-29-2010
Originally Posted by momofsix:

momofsix you beat me to it.

Michael
Carole's Daycare 01:18 PM 01-29-2010
THanks so much and happy to meet you on here!! Are you close to Minneapolis???
A couple hours north...in the frozen boonies of MN lol We make a trek to the Twin Cities a few times a year. Mall of America, shopping, various daycare training conferences, Law Enforcement training/schools, the occasional weekend getaway... We drive to St. Cloud much more regularly.
momma2girls 02:27 PM 01-29-2010
A couple hours north...in the frozen boonies of MN lol We make a trek to the Twin Cities a few times a year. Mall of America, shopping, various dayacre training conferences, Law Enforcement training/schools, the occasional weekend getaway... We drive to St. Cloud much more regularly.
THis is where we are going in March, the Mall and the indoor huge indoor waterpark right across from the Mall Of America. I can't wait!!!!
GretasLittleFriends 06:13 PM 01-31-2010
If we go outside depends a lot on which daycare kids I have and of course what the temps are. We typically do NOT go out while during the day while the big kids are in school because the little ones are too little to play in the snow. When the school aged kids get home my daughter (14yrs) will take the older ones out to play as long as they also got to play out at recess. If it was too cold at recess they do not go out here either.

A couple hours north...in the frozen boonies of MN lol We make a trek to the Twin Cities a few times a year. Mall of America, shopping, various daycare training conferences, Law Enforcement training/schools, the occasional weekend getaway... We drive to St. Cloud much more regularly.
I too live in mid-northern MN. I'm about 5 minutes from I-35 and just a little more than halfway north between the cities and Duluth. I'm excited because I get to go to St. Cloud next weekend (for training). It will be a nice change of scenery. Our family all lives down in the cities and if I need to do some major shopping (more than groceries) I'll either go to Duluth or the cities depending on my mood and what I need.
Former Teacher 06:25 PM 01-31-2010
Well in TX we don't have the bad winters. Well we do get cold temps (at least cold to us! ) but we never get snow. We have once in a blue moon gotten sleet but nothing that would actually stick. It would melt by mid morning.

Anyway I and the state would sometimes go around and around because we are/were required to take the children out no matter the weather. Whether or not that has changed I dont know. It didn't matter if it was 100 degrees out, they had to spend SOMETIME outside. Sad thing is, sometimes the humidity is way up there at 8 in the morning!

Yet I could only imagine if God forbid the worst ever happened, we would still be up the creek since we DID follow the rules!

Grrr I hate TX state licensing!!!
gbcc 02:43 AM 02-01-2010
Yes, they expect us to go out daily and I just don't agree with that living in NY. They say if whether permits. But, what exactly does that mean? If school is not closed due to whether then I would say whether permits. However, 8 degrees in my opinion is too cold, plus to add in the wind chill.
MARSTELAC 03:32 PM 10-27-2010
I try to get the kids out daily, even if only for a few minutes, unless it is bitterly cold or we have high wind warnings or sloppy weather. The past 2 days we have had high winds (like up to 50 mph gusts) with garbage and twigs blowing all over the place and repeated warnings on the weather radio to watch for downed power lines SO I did not take the kids out today or yesterday. Most of my parents were ok that we didn't go out but then I heard from one today that says his spouse was annoyed that we didn't go out! I just cannot win! So much for my good day.
Jewels 03:47 AM 10-28-2010
As long as the windchill is not bad, and its above 20 degrees, I will take them out for a short period, not long, and yeah it takes a while to get them bundled, but oh well, They dont get sick from cold weather, I think its good for them, And my laws state I must bring them out weather permitting, and I read that was above 20 degrees, However most of the winter it will be below that here in MN.
Francine 03:58 AM 10-28-2010
I started reading this post and was thinking OMG where do these poor people live that it is already so cold, the one said Alabama WTH and then I realized the thread was started last January.LOL Makes much more sense now!
DancingQueen 04:26 AM 10-28-2010
I use this chart - it is the same chart the schools and preschools use.

it factors in the windchill and temperature and you base that on weather or not you go outside.
marniewon 05:34 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by Miss Joy:
I started reading this post and was thinking OMG where do these poor people live that it is already so cold, the one said Alabama WTH and then I realized the thread was started last January.LOL Makes much more sense now!
Same here! It didn't occur to me until I was almost done with the thread to check when it was started!
DancingQueen 05:34 AM 10-28-2010
i forgot to share the link
http://www.idph.state.ia.us/hcci/com...atherwatch.pdf
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
If we go outside depends a lot on which daycare kids I have and of course what the temps are. We typically do NOT go out while during the day while the big kids are in school because the little ones are too little to play in the snow. When the school aged kids get home my daughter (14yrs) will take the older ones out to play as long as they also got to play out at recess. If it was too cold at recess they do not go out here either.

I too live in mid-northern MN. I'm about 5 minutes from I-35 and just a little more than halfway north between the cities and Duluth. I'm excited because I get to go to St. Cloud next weekend (for training). It will be a nice change of scenery. Our family all lives down in the cities and if I need to do some major shopping (more than groceries) I'll either go to Duluth or the cities depending on my mood and what I need.

I live up north in MN too (85 miles northeast of Duluth) It gets COLD here, but if my schoolers wanna play outside, I let them. They live here...they know when they are cold and when they aren't. Obviously I don't let them go when windchill is really bad, but most of my schoolers are outdoor kids (ice fishing, snowmobilers, skiers, etc). If they are dressed for the westher..have fun...go out!
We do snow tunnels, snow spray painting (food colored water in spray bottles) and sledding....like previous posted said; "they grow 'em tough here."
SandeeAR 07:30 AM 10-28-2010
LOL, that was me! I was think, where is this? I'm still in shorts!
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
LOL, that was me! I was think, where is this? I'm still in shorts!
Oh! I am soooo jealous! It is snowing here right this second! It is 27 degrees outside and my feet are freezing! I haven't seen my shorts since last week in August! I haven't seen the sun either since I think last Thursday....
ddnanny13 07:48 AM 10-28-2010
If you are all used to it and everyone has the right attire then why not? Even if it takes a long time to get ready, it breaks up the day and the kids enjoy it. I'm in MN so I definitely know how bad winter get... we're talking -30 wind chills at times. Of course on those days we stay inside but 15 isn't too terrible especially if the wind isn't whipping.
momma2girls 07:53 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Oh! I am soooo jealous! It is snowing here right this second! It is 27 degrees outside and my feet are freezing! I haven't seen my shorts since last week in August! I haven't seen the sun either since I think last Thursday....
OMG!! It's snowing there? Thank God it isn't yet in Iowa!!!
DCMomOf3 08:04 AM 10-28-2010
OMG!! It's snowing there? Thank God it isn't yet in Iowa!!!
it snowed here in western WI yesterday too. I am happy though the wind will die down for Sunday and trick-or-treating, mid 40s predicted.

If I remember right, I we have to go out 10 degrees and up, unless bad weather. No wind and 10 is tolerable if bundled properly.
SilverSabre25 08:05 AM 10-28-2010
I have very little ones so we're not likely to get out that much this winter. I agree, though, with the pp who mentioned that cold weather is NOT what makes them sick. Being cooped up in a shut-tight house for months on end is what's more likely to make them sick! But this winter, unless it's REALLY bad, we'll probably still get out for awhile every single day. Even ten minutes outside would be better than nothing.
TGT09 10:44 AM 10-28-2010
Same here. I was quite astonished that people already had snow in areas where I didn't think was that different from where I am. lol
MARSTELAC 10:58 AM 10-28-2010
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
I try to get the kids out daily, even if only for a few minutes, unless it is bitterly cold or we have high wind warnings or sloppy weather. The past 2 days we have had high winds (like up to 50 mph gusts) with garbage and twigs blowing all over the place and repeated warnings on the weather radio to watch for downed power lines SO I did not take the kids out today or yesterday. Most of my parents were ok that we didn't go out but then I heard from one today that says his spouse was annoyed that we didn't go out! I just cannot win! So much for my good day.

I just heard back from my licensor. We must take the kids out everyday in MN unless inclement weather. As such, she suggested the following policy which I am sending home today. Dear Parents:
Providers received messages from our licensor today reminding us of the policy that we must take the kids out each and every day unless their is inclement weather. As such, starting Monday, please make sure the kids have the proper gear each and every day so they are not too cold when we go outside. Some days we will stay out for a very short time, just to fulfill the requirement. My daycare practices fire drills each and every month also, with no advance warning to parents, so this is another reason to have the proper clothing at daycare each day.

Minnesota daycare providers are obligated to take children outside every day, weather permitting.
Outdoor play is a healthy activity for children even during the winter months. Daycare providers must take kids outside every day except when the temperature is below 10 degrees Fahrenheit, the wind chill is below zero, or it is raining. Please send children to daycare with the proper clothing for cold, windy, snowy weather. Boots, gloves, caps, warm jackets, and snow pants are essential to protect them from these conditions. It would also be helpful to send an extra pair of pants with your children so they do not have to spend the day in wet clothing. Cold weather does not cause illness. If your child is not allowed out on a particular day due to illness, then your child is too ill to come to daycare. Your cooperation is very important on clothing issues.
Tags:outside play, temperature, weather
Reply Up