Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Spanking Kids To Make Them Sleep
mustangsally 04:54 AM 09-14-2008
I worked with a girl the other day who threatens the 2 yr olds with a small pop on the bottom to make them take their naps. Some of the kids get the spanking and others she just threatenes. I live in SC. and I know this is not allowed. I told the director who then asked her about it and the girl denied it. What should be done now?
lilbiddapopcorn 05:14 PM 09-14-2008
Just curious - How do you know she does that?
mustangsally 04:27 PM 09-15-2008
I was in the room. She told me to cover my ears.
lilbiddapopcorn 09:56 PM 09-15-2008
Umm i'm pretttty sure that's illegal and you can turn her in for it. I would start by calling social services, they probably run the department for licensing child care businesses. Find out the law in your area and see what you can do. And if you have a child in there i'd get them out!
Unregistered 09:56 AM 09-16-2008
I agree with her
Unregistered 11:45 AM 09-17-2008
You never, ever, ever, ever hit a child. If that lady pulled that crap with me I would have A. punched her in the face then i would call CPS on her!!
EmmaNichole88 05:33 PM 09-30-2008
I run a daycare center just across the border in NC. TURN THAT WOMAN IN! I know the daycare laws like the back of my hand, stricking a child in any way in a child care center in the Carolinas can get you up to a year or more in prison.
Come on stricking a child to get them to take a nap?! Children are not always tired, I let my kids who can't sleep play quietly on their mats or look through books, this woman doesn't need to e around children in any way,
preschooldad 09:12 AM 10-22-2008
Out of courtesy to the owner of the childcare my first conversation would be with her. Allow the owner to be the one to call CPS but make certain that it is done.
Unregistered 03:50 PM 10-23-2008
Originally Posted by mustangsally:
I worked with a girl the other day who threatens the 2 yr olds with a small pop on the bottom to make them take their naps. Some of the kids get the spanking and others she just threatenes. I live in SC. and I know this is not allowed. I told the director who then asked her about it and the girl denied it. What should be done now?
That is the #1 rule, you can't hit someone elses child! If I were you I would approach the director again,and tell her you belive this to be true, and you can't stand by and let it go on. Either she fire the girl, or you are prepared to call CPS, and if that happens it will look really bad for the director as the school would get bad publicity.
kidcentric 06:35 PM 10-27-2008
Most people who work with children are designated as "mandated reporters" of suspected child abuse or neglect. If you fail to report what you see and/or hear, you are subject to criminal prosecution. You do not have a choice except to make the report to your state agency, not the center director. Additionally, since you reported to the director, she is also mandated by law to report to the state agency. You can see South Carolina requirements at: http://www.childwelfare.gov/systemwi....processSearch
Along with your legal requirements, you also have a moral requirement to the children in your care to protect them. Call now, if you haven't already.
Unregistered 11:27 AM 01-03-2009
When my youngest was 2 she would NOT go to sleep without a "spanking". LOL It wasn't a real spanking! I tapped her on her bottom *GENTLY* and said, "Now you go meme". When I brought her to my mom's home in KY (we lived in AZ), and my mom saw Danielle's "spanking" each night she thought I was horrid. I told her to put her to bed herself.
The following night, mom put Danielle to bed. Less than 3 minutes later Danielle was out of bed and dancing down the hallway. After about the 8th time of my mom putting her to bed mom said, "Well now bull...if that were my daughter I'd bust her little butt."
I cracked up. Really all that was needed was a PAT on her bottom....no need to really SPANK her.
Later she spent the night at my sisters. She was around 3. Time for bed and all tucked in Danielle told my sister, "Aren't you gonna spank me"! We STILL laugh about it to this day!
That child may just be used to a TAP on her bottom! Lord knows Danielle was NEVER abused, and she's a responsible, creative, independent 25 year old who never gets spanked to go to bed now.
ROFL
Lighten UP, people.
At least KNOW what you're talking about before you go reporting people to child protective services. You can DAMAGE a family and a child, if you're wrong!
Unregistered 08:02 AM 01-04-2009
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
When my youngest was 2 she would NOT go to sleep without a "spanking". LOL It wasn't a real spanking! I tapped her on her bottom *GENTLY* and said, "Now you go meme". When I brought her to my mom's home in KY (we lived in AZ), and my mom saw Danielle's "spanking" each night she thought I was horrid. I told her to put her to bed herself.
The following night, mom put Danielle to bed. Less than 3 minutes later Danielle was out of bed and dancing down the hallway. After about the 8th time of my mom putting her to bed mom said, "Well now bull...if that were my daughter I'd bust her little butt."
I cracked up. Really all that was needed was a PAT on her bottom....no need to really SPANK her.
Later she spent the night at my sisters. She was around 3. Time for bed and all tucked in Danielle told my sister, "Aren't you gonna spank me"! We STILL laugh about it to this day!
That child may just be used to a TAP on her bottom! Lord knows Danielle was NEVER abused, and she's a responsible, creative, independent 25 year old who never gets spanked to go to bed now.
ROFL
Lighten UP, people.
At least KNOW what you're talking about before you go reporting people to child protective services. You can DAMAGE a family and a child, if you're wrong!
Were not talking about a mother dicplining her child! And as a daycare provider who has been falsley reported before to CPS, this is not a subject i take lightly! I also have children myself and would never allow a provider to "Pat, spank, swat whatever you like to call it" my child!!! Period! Nor would i ever hit a child that was entrused to my care!
MissLisa 09:29 PM 01-04-2009
Why don't you try to sit beside them on the floor and try rubbing their back or reading a story... or singing to them.... Pay attention to them... what a concept that would be.....???
If you believe in spanking someone elses child... I don't think child care is for you.
NEDaycare 07:44 AM 01-06-2009
I took my daughter to a provider for years. From the time she was 6 months old to when she was in the first grade. My oldest daughter also occassionally went there on long breaks, etc. This woman became like family even though she was a stranger when I started taking my daughter to her licensed home daycare. It has been over five years since the younger daughter was there.

Recently, and I mean just within the past few months, my younger daughter who is now 11 told me that this lady used to spank HARD. For her to remember that, it must have been regularly, and severely. My older daughter confirmed that she witnessed it, too. I was absolutely floored. I had no idea. And I do not know what caused them not to tell me about it when they were little.

What makes it worse is that I got really sick and my parents were keeping my daughters for me (I was a single mom). The younger one was two years old then and she stood up in her high chair at mom and dad's and fell out, breaking her arm. They called me and I met them at the hospital. When they did the x ray, an angry doctor came out and confronted me (I was laying down on a couch in the waiting room) and said that her arm had been broken before. I knew NOTHING about it. I was so upset. I felt like a terrible mom because I did not know. It was a hairline fracture, but still.

He was going to call CPS right then and there because he thought I was abusing my child and did not believe the high chair incident, either. I was very, very sick with mononucleosis which is why my girls had been staying with my parents, and I mustered up every bit of strength that I had to yell back at him and tell him that I was not even THERE when she fell out of her highchair, and had no knowledge of her breaking her arm prior to that, which I felt bad enough about in the first place.

The doctor calmed down then, but questioned where she was during the day, and it never dawned on me that this lady could have been abusing her at daycare. I did ask the provider if she ever remembered my daughter crying or falling or anything, and of course she said "no". Now that my kids told me that she had spanked them so much, I wonder if she did not in fact break her arm in the process of hitting her. There's nothing I can do about it now, but I just feel like a failure as a parent because I did not know.

The lady does not do daycare anymore. I think she quit doing it about a year or two after we left the area. She went back to her old job. Thank goodness she does not still do daycare otherwise more kids would be in the hands of an abuser. And I'm convinced based on what my daughters said that it was more than a swat, which I would NOT have been okay with in the first place. There is a difference in a parent swatting their children (if they do that) and someone else entrusted to their care breaking the law where those things are concerned.
Unregistered 08:36 AM 01-07-2009
In some states it is not against the law for a provider to spank the children that are in his/her care. For example: Indiana State law.....Indiana
Law does not limit right of parent/guardian/custodian to use reasonable corporal punishment when disciplining a child.
§ 31-34-1-15. [Civil Code]
[Indiana Revised Code]

I'm really sorry your child had to go through that!
Unregistered 04:10 PM 01-07-2009
I believe that regulation is intended for parents and legal guardians. Here is the regulation for a child care center:

Indiana Rule 470 IAC 3-4.7-55 Inappropriate discipline

(a) Any person, while on child care center premises, shall not engage in or direct any of the following actions toward children:

(1) Inflict corporal punishment in any manner upon a child's body.

(2) Hit, spank, beat, shake, pinch, or any other measure that produces physical discomfort.
Unregistered 08:35 AM 01-12-2009
I believe that regulation is intended for parents and legal guardians. Here is the regulation for a child care center:

Indiana Rule 470 IAC 3-4.7-55 Inappropriate discipline

(a) Any person, while on child care center premises, shall not engage in or direct any of the following actions toward children:

(1) Inflict corporal punishment in any manner upon a child's body.

(2) Hit, spank, beat, shake, pinch, or any other measure that produces physical discomfort.
Yes in the Child care center it is prohibited. But in A in home family daycare it is not proibited. Indiana

Family Day Care - Permitted by law
Group Homes/Institutions - Permitted - Strongly discouraged through training and interpretation of laws and regulations. Parent consent required.
Day Care Centers - Prohibited
Home Foster Care - Prohibited (1999)
Schools - Permitted
Now don't get me wrong, i do not and i repeat do not condone or endorse spanking. I'm just saying that its not against the law in some states.
Unregistered 09:27 AM 07-13-2011
If you hit an adult you go to jail for assault.
If you hit an animal you are charged with animal cruelty.
If you hit a child someone thinks twice before even reporting it? A child who doesnt understand why the person who professes to care about them would hurt them? A child who could be permanently emotionally damaged?

How terrible. If you cant talk to your child, reason with your child, rub their back, tell them a story, spend your time, if you are too lazy or impatient that you resort to physical violence, then you have failed as a parent.

Shame on you.
dEHmom 10:17 AM 07-13-2011
ROFL
Lighten UP, people.
when my kids were all babies and toddlers we used to bounce them by patting their bum when they had their head on our shoulder (trying to describe so you can picture it). sometimes it sounded hard, but never was. It's not the same though as what this lady is doing in the daycare.
In a daycare there is absolutely no reason to do this, nor threaten the kids with a spanking at all.

No one here needs to lighten up. If it is simply a misunderstanding it will be forgotten. But more than likely this is a serious issue. And the fact that this lady told the op to cover her ears, means that she knows better.
youretooloud 10:21 AM 07-13-2011
You've seen her actually spank a child?
SilverSabre25 11:29 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
You've seen her actually spank a child?
note this thread is close to three years old.
SandeeAR 11:41 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Yep and the one that brought it back to life is, surprise, surprise....unregistered!
SilverSabre25 11:42 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Yep and the one that brought it back to life is, surprise, surprise....unregistered!
Yeah, i think that's how it usually is. I think that people are doing some Google search and the post comes up and they don't think to check the age before commenting on some situation that's years and years in the past.

of course, then some of them stick around to pester us...
youretooloud 11:47 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:

Ugh.. people should stop bringing up old posts. LMBO. I never think to check the dates, I always just answer the top posts.
Tags:sleep - solutions, spanking
Reply Up