Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Water
Claraskids 01:10 PM 06-18-2017
Today was a good reminder why I added a "Lack of running water and/or electricity" section to my parent handbook at my latest update. We have been without running water for almost six hours. It hasn't been too bad as my hubby always insists on having giant jugs of drinking water in storage in case of emergency. But not being able to do laundry or shower is not a highlight for me. Just glad it happened on a weekend.
The city is promising that it should be restored by this evening. If not, guess I will be calling my daycare families and putting them on alert that I may not be open in the morning.
Josiegirl 02:45 PM 06-18-2017
Do you know what happened? Have there been storms?

Not having a shower wouldn't be great. It's 84 and humid here. Gotta shower!
LysesKids 03:05 PM 06-18-2017
Originally Posted by Claraskids:
Today was a good reminder why I added a "Lack of running water and/or electricity" section to my parent handbook at my latest update. We have been without running water for almost six hours. It hasn't been too bad as my hubby always insists on having giant jugs of drinking water in storage in case of emergency. But not being able to do laundry or shower is not a highlight for me. Just glad it happened on a weekend.
The city is promising that it should be restored by this evening. If not, guess I will be calling my daycare families and putting them on alert that I may not be open in the morning.
I totally feel for you... I run legally licensed exempt here, but will still close after 24 hrs of no water & 2 hrs no electric (my whole house is elec); we have so many water main breaks in this older neighborhood that I would lose families if I closed as much as a licensed home would require - that said because I know it will happen at least 3 times more this summer alone, I take showers in evening & wash all dishes ASAP, keep 2-3 days of water per person (me & 4 daycare kids); 4 gallons of bottled tap water for flushing (just for me as all the littles are under 18 months), minimum 4 packs wipes for a few days use & pre-packaged organic baby food (back up supplies) because I won't be able to cook or wash pans. I also have a supply of disposable utensils & paper dinnerware/cups (again to avoid washing stuff)

I'm not on the FP because of said issues so if needed I can just make sandwiches & chopped fresh fruit & veg if needed for the oldest toddler (16 months) and myself. Thankfully all the other babes are BF, so having a pan on the stove with water works to reheat, no formula bottles to make lol
Claraskids 04:52 PM 06-18-2017
Main water pipe in the city broke. In order to repair it, the section to our neighborhood had to be shut down - that's over 100 homes. We did get water back a little bit ago. Now flushing all the house pipes clean - ewww to the stuff that is coming out
Unfortunately for me I had a load of wash halfway through that I had to wring out. I am now running a load of bleach through the machine while it is empty before I attempt to run the wet clothes through it again.
I had most of the dishes cleaned last night, and we have plenty of paper products left over from my daughter's grad party last weekend. We have a large drinking water system that is separate from the city. I can't stand city water and I also use that for formula bottles as it is filtered and clear of nasty chemicals. That was a blessing today!
I grew up with a private well that used to dry up at least twice a year for weeks at a time. Used to be very good at living without running water but have slipped out of that mindset in the last few years. Need to remember how to survive off the grid again if need be.
Unregistered 04:57 PM 06-18-2017
Don't forget the automatic icemaker if you have one. Made that mistake once.
LysesKids 04:59 PM 06-18-2017
Originally Posted by Claraskids:
Main water pipe in the city broke. In order to repair it, the section to our neighborhood had to be shut down - that's over 100 homes. We did get water back a little bit ago. Now flushing all the house pipes clean - ewww to the stuff that is coming out
Unfortunately for me I had a load of wash halfway through that I had to wring out. I am now running a load of bleach through the machine while it is empty before I attempt to run the wet clothes through it again.
I had most of the dishes cleaned last night, and we have plenty of paper products left over from my daughter's grad party last weekend. We have a large drinking water system that is separate from the city. I can't stand city water and I also use that for formula bottles as it is filtered and clear of nasty chemicals. That was a blessing today!
I grew up with a private well that used to dry up at least twice a year for weeks at a time. Used to be very good at living without running water but have slipped out of that mindset in the last few years. Need to remember how to survive off the grid again if need be.
Yeah, I use to have well water years ago at another home; totally understand it going dry lol... I look at it as camping only indoors - one has to limit the usage of certain things & make due. Since I travel at least 2 weeks every year, I have learned to be prepared for anything (last year I got caught in a tropical storm in FL & in 2011 I was on the KY/WV border trying to get to MD when the Derecho hit the east coast).
Tags:no water
Reply Up