Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 3 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Sad...
QualiTcare 05:04 AM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
so many posts i didn't read them all, but did anyone else hear the one mom say it was her daughter's 2nd day of daycare????!!!!!!!!

OH MY.......
i noticed that and i was thinking HOW AWFUL that would be. it's horrible for everyone involved, but for it to be their 2nd day and have that happen will torture that poor mother forever.
nannyde 05:09 AM 02-28-2011
so many posts i didn't read them all, but did anyone else hear the one mom say it was her daughter's 2nd day of daycare????!!!!!!!!

OH MY.......
I know. There was a tragedy a while back of a lady who had her one year old die the very first day of day care.

Ugh

I'm anxious to see what is on the grocery receipt. What was worth going to the store for and leaving seven babies alone?

I'm going to place one guess. I bet there were tampons or feminine products in her bags.
QualiTcare 05:13 AM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I know. There was a tragedy a while back of a lady who had her one year old die the very first day of day care.

Ugh

I'm anxious to see what is on the grocery receipt. What was worth going to the store for and leaving seven babies alone?

I'm going to place one guess. I bet there were tampons or feminine products in her bags.
i dunno - i think i'd use the ole' TP trick before taking her chosen route - but i'm crazy like that.
dEHmom 05:44 AM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by My Daycare:
My DH's 1st thought was that she left them home alone and while she was gone, something bad happened. Then she started a fire to cover it up. I wonder if they are going to do autopsies?

I don't know what I think, but I hope that they can figure it out.
My first thought too, but didn't want to say it.

Hopefully not the case....

Something is not adding up, that's all there is to it.

I almost logged out but decided against it.

I am 26 this year. I really get angry at the posts others have put up here about age being non negotiable in terms of the maturity, etc.

While I do agree that many people my age are not mature enough, not experienced enough, I dislike that it has been stated that ALL are not. I pride myself in my childcare. I pride myself in my maturity. I've had mothers 10 yrs older than me state that they NEVER would have guess I was so much younger than them.
I am also mature enough as the poster who logged out to post stated, to know that I cannot even if I was allowed to take care of that many children. I ,know that 2 toddlers is enough to keep me on my toes for the day. The amount of care they require is much to great for one person to provide for more than 2. Not saying NO ONE could do it, but I have no desire to have more kids than 2 under 2 and 2 over 2. No thanks. I don't even want to get licensed because the 8 kids would be tempting for income, but I NEVER want to watch 8 kids on my own. NO WAY!
I also know whole heartedly (SP?) that I would give my life in an instant for any child. Whether in my care, or someone on the street. I would NEVER hesitate.

I'm sorry, but I want to say, that I am fuming right now because I have been lumped into a group of irresponsible, immature, unreliable, and whatever else caregivers.
cillybean83 06:07 AM 02-28-2011
there is a huge difference between 26 and 22...I personally wouldn't want a 22 year old watching my children, because I remember how i was at 22. Maybe others truly do mature past their years but I truly think that age is definately more than just a number when it comes to entrusting someone with young children. I'm sorry if that offends anyone here...but I doubt there are any 22 year old caregivers on this site
MyAngels 06:18 AM 02-28-2011

I am 26 this year. I really get angry at the posts others have put up here about age being non negotiable in terms of the maturity, etc.

While I do agree that many people my age are not mature enough, not experienced enough, I dislike that it has been stated that ALL are not. I pride myself in my childcare. I pride myself in my maturity. I've had mothers 10 yrs older than me state that they NEVER would have guess I was so much younger than them.
I am also mature enough as the poster who logged out to post stated, to know that I cannot even if I was allowed to take care of that many children. I ,know that 2 toddlers is enough to keep me on my toes for the day. The amount of care they require is much to great for one person to provide for more than 2. Not saying NO ONE could do it, but I have no desire to have more kids than 2 under 2 and 2 over 2. No thanks. I don't even want to get licensed because the 8 kids would be tempting for income, but I NEVER want to watch 8 kids on my own. NO WAY!
I also know whole heartedly (SP?) that I would give my life in an instant for any child. Whether in my care, or someone on the street. I would NEVER hesitate.

I'm sorry, but I want to say, that I am fuming right now because I have been lumped into a group of irresponsible, immature, unreliable, and whatever else caregivers.
There is a big difference between 26 and 22. When I was very young (19) I worked at a daycare center for a couple of years. Then when my son was born (I was 21) I decided that, in order to stay home with him and still have an income, I would start my home daycare. I realized within the first couple of weeks that I just wasn't ready for that and closed down within a month. I waited until I was 28 to try it again. I could have done it a couple of years before that, but I wanted to wait until my youngest was in pre-school.

My point is that I was not the same person at 28 that I was at 21, not even close.
nikia 06:43 AM 02-28-2011

I am sorry that you were offended. I think there is a huge difference between 22 and 26. Now not every 22 year old is like this woman so if I said all 22 year olds have no business doing this I am sorry. I was mature at 22, pregnant with my first child, but there is no way that I was ready to say "Yes I am willing to die to protect any child that walks in my door regardless if I have known them 1 hour or 1 year." I was willing to die for my own of course but not other people's. I CAN say that now, I was 29 when I opened my daycare I am sure people think that is young and I look a lot younger than that, but life experiences and being a mom made me see things differently and grow so much as a person. Also a few bad daycare experiences helped with the process of being able to care for other peoples children well.
nannyde 06:59 AM 02-28-2011

Well it wasn't meant to offend you. If it did I apologize.

Think about this: A 26 year old has eight years of being an adult. A 22 year old has four. That's TWICE the life experience of being an adult.

That's huge.

You at 26 know that you can handle FAR less children under three than she was allowed to have. What would your feelings on this be at 22?
dEHmom 07:18 AM 02-28-2011
True that 22 and 26 is 4 years different. And I thank all of you for your input on what I had to say.

I have been entrusted in this career since I was 22 yo. I just officially opened up my home as a "daycare" as opposed to just babysitting for the last year. But I've had many many years already in Child care.

I guess I took offense because looking back to when I was 22 I was not much different than I am now (maybe extra alcoholic beverages on the weekend). Maybe I'm just a special person

I had my daughter when I was 19 (only a month being 19 when she was born). All I ever wanted since I was a baby was to be a mom, and work in daycare so even when I didn't have babies of my own, I would always be surrounded by them.

I apologize that I took such great offense, I just figure, that even if this caregiver had been 24 or 25 the conversation may have been the same no?

I believe age is a factor, and I do agree. I've often worried that my age has hindered my childcare clientel? I think this whole topic should someone come across it because of this Tata, is going to hinder it even more.

Thank you everyone for making me feel better. I had troubles this morning drinking my coffee thinking about all this. I felt like maybe I shouldn't be in this profession right now, I worried about my house catching fire, and what would be said about me, should GOD FORBID anything ever happen. You have helped to put me at ease, but I am questioning a lot right now. And I don't know how I would cope surviving if anything happened to any child in my care.
nikia 07:32 AM 02-28-2011
Thank you everyone for making me feel better. I had troubles this morning drinking my coffee thinking about all this. I felt like maybe I shouldn't be in this profession right now, I worried about my house catching fire, and what would be said about me, should GOD FORBID anything ever happen. You have helped to put me at ease, but I am questioning a lot right now. And I don't know how I would cope surviving if anything happened to any child in my care.
Honestly at any age we should think about coping if something happened, accidents happen to anyone no matter if your in your 20's, 30's, 40's or beyond. What makes you a different kind of provider is that you are thinking about those things. Its not the fact that the house had a fire, its the fact she wasnt even there, she just walked out and left them alone. If your house had a fire, from what I read in your posts, I believe you would die to save those babies, dont question yourself because we are saying some 22 year olds shouldnt be doing this, its just opinions and coming from people who dont know all about you or me or anyone else on here. Lots of things play into how you mature and what kind of person you are. The fact may be more that she was morally corrupt to leave those children alone and less that she was 22, I dont know what the answer is. I feel bad that you are questioning yourself and I dont think you need to, be prepared for whatever the worst may be and try to prevent things thats all any of us can do.
newtodaycare22 10:42 AM 02-28-2011
I cannot even imagine what all of those people are going through.

That being said, I don't care how old you are...I think it's crazy to stereotype a certain age. I am 23 and I have 7 parents who trust their kids with me. They are all amazed when they find out how old I am because I am so mature and they can tell I would do anything for their children. One parent the other day said her sister asked how old I was, and she guessed 26 but I was even more mature than my age. Obviously, age is just a number and it really means nothing (once you are beyond your teens at least
kendallina 11:27 AM 02-28-2011
I don't see what age has to do with this situation. I can understand if you're speaking in generalities, as there are brain differences (particularly in the areas of critical thinking, reasoning and decision making) between 20 and 30 years olds, but to look at this specific case and say that a 22-year old should never be responsible for that number of children is overgeneralizing. Who's to say that this woman would not have made the same irresponsible decisions 10 years from now. There are plenty of irresponsible and criminal older people around and I would not be so fast to blame her negligence on age.

Read a yahoo article today that said she was indeed gone from the house before the incident, left stove burner on and a pot with oil in it on the stove. There is a warrant out for her arrest.

I am soo sad for these families who entrusted their children to her. It can be a scary scary thing to leave your children with someone that you barely know and they did it believing her to be a responsible person. I am just so so sad and beyond words about this entire situation.
nannyde 11:32 AM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
I don't see what age has to do with this situation. I can understand if you're speaking in generalities, as there are brain differences (particularly in the areas of critical thinking, reasoning and decision making) between 20 and 30 years olds, but to look at this specific case and say that a 22-year old should never be responsible for that number of children is overgeneralizing. Who's to say that this woman would not have made the same irresponsible decisions 10 years from now. There are plenty of irresponsible and criminal older people around and I would not be so fast to blame her negligence on age.

Read a yahoo article today that said she was indeed gone from the house before the incident, left stove burner on and a pot with oil in it on the stove. There is a warrant out for her arrest.

I am soo sad for these families who entrusted their children to her. It can be a scary scary thing to leave your children with someone that you barely know and they did it believing her to be a responsible person. I am just so so sad and beyond words about this entire situation.

can you link that stove oil story?
kendallina 11:34 AM 02-28-2011
Oops, meant to link, then forgot, here it is:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110228/...re_center_fire
DCMomOf3 11:40 AM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by kendallina:
Oops, meant to link, then forgot, here it is:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110228/...re_center_fire
not sure if this the same one or not.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Worke...117026548.html
nikia 11:42 AM 02-28-2011
2 to 10 years!!!!!! Thats it!!!!! I hope that is per child that she endangered but I doubt it is
nannyde 11:54 AM 02-28-2011
http://dig.abclocal.go.com/ktrk/ktrk_022811_tata2.pdf
juliebug 11:59 AM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:
2 to 10 years!!!!!! Thats it!!!!! I hope that is per child that she endangered but I doubt it is
looks like it is only for one child at the moment, i am sure it will be more when the other parents sue too
Cat Herder 12:01 PM 02-28-2011
Awesome, Nannyde... Thanks
tenderhearts 12:01 PM 02-28-2011
2-10 years only?? That's it???? Wow. So very very sad. My heart goes out to these poor families.
DCMomOf3 12:10 PM 02-28-2011
I wonder why they didn't file on behalf of both kids in that family. Isn't this the family of siblings, one died and one is still in the hospital.

I hope all the families file.
jen 12:41 PM 02-28-2011
I would have thought it would be manslaughter or some form of homicide! Children DIED! She may not have meant to kill them, but she DID.
gbcc 12:47 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
I would have thought it would be manslaughter or some form of homicide! Children DIED! She may not have meant to kill them, but she DID.
That was my first thought as well. Hopefully they are just waiting for some solid concrete evidence before they officially file for manslaughter.

A person accidently kills someone in a DWI and gets manslaughter. It seems pretty comparable to me as she LEFT the children unattended. Her actions directly resulted in death and for those that survive a life time of scars, fears, and nightmares.
squareone 12:50 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
I wonder why they didn't file on behalf of both kids in that family. Isn't this the family of siblings, one died and one is still in the hospital.

I hope all the families file.
I believe that it's better to try each case individually until the attorney's get the "right formula". For example if the first family's case gets thrown out on a stupid technicality, the lawyers can fix whatever was wrong and go back to trial for the next family. They learn what to do and what not to do by trying each individual case. Once they get a conviction on the first couple, then it's smooth sailing. At which point she will probably enter a guilty plea rather than continuing to go through the torture of trials and facing these grieving parents.

BTW, where is the brother now? You know, the brother that was NOT there yet he was soooooooooo 100% certian that the provider was in the house the whole time and never left the premises?
Crystal 01:49 PM 02-28-2011
word is that she has fled:

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...-fire-arrested
SilverSabre25 02:06 PM 02-28-2011
oh lord...this is getting worse and worse! In the beginning i was trying very hard to give her the benefit of the doubt, that it was just a tragic accident, something.

But now...leaving them was bad enough, leaving OIL on the stove was HORRIBLE, and now she's fled the country?!?
daycare 02:06 PM 02-28-2011
wow... i hope she gets caught and is held responsible for her actions..........I feel so bad for the families of these children.........make me cry just thinking about it
nannyde 02:17 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
word is that she has fled:

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news...-fire-arrested

YIKES

Wow this gets worse by the minute
momofsix 02:23 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
oh lord...this is getting worse and worse! In the beginning i was trying very hard to give her the benefit of the doubt, that it was just a tragic accident, something.

But now...leaving them was bad enough, leaving OIL on the stove was HORRIBLE, and now she's fled the country?!?
I was waiting to pass judgement too, but there's no doubt now. How could she leave those babies all alone while she went to the store! Even my 13 year old knows better then that
Licensing can make all the laws they want, but there's no way they can judge plain old common sense
This just makes me so sad.
Former Teacher 02:43 PM 02-28-2011
Someone needs to put her in a house of mirrors and throw a match at her so she can watch herself burn.

Those poor children. They are truly angels now.
KEG123 02:44 PM 02-28-2011
This just keeps getting worse and worse.
Cat Herder 02:45 PM 02-28-2011
The worst part of it politically, IMHO, is that the charge for fleeing is worse than the act that left those children dead....
nikia 02:51 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
The worst part of it politically, IMHO, is that the charge for fleeing is worse than the act that left those children dead....
The system is messed up IMO
daycare 02:56 PM 02-28-2011
I agree...............leaving was a choice......hopefully the house catching on fire was not........uuggh some people make me sick
Former Teacher 02:59 PM 02-28-2011

Yippy!

First and foremost, thank you for not logging out. If you did I most likely wouldn't have responded. But thats another thread

I, too, am irked when I read things about how old she was, blah blah. I truly believe age is NOT the only factor. Yes, it does play in part of this tragedy. Then again, look at these 15-16 year olds that babysit for parents on a date night. You are still leaving your child in case of someone young. You are giving your most beloved possession in the world in the care of someone who can not even vote more or less buy a drink.

What would people say if this woman was my age, 37 years old? That she was just careless and reckless?

I once worked with a girl who was 16 years old. This was a LONG time ago before the standards changed. This girl was the most maturest girl I ever knew at that age who could take care of kids. She had a great head on her shoulders. Would I trust her with my child? Absolutely. On flip side, I worked with a woman in her 40s, had 2 kids and a husband. She was so scatterbrained and an airhead it wasn't even funny. Would I trust her? Not even for 20 mins.

So yes age does factor in but no I don't believe its the main factor.
squareone 03:30 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
This just keeps getting worse and worse.
It certainly seems that way. I just read some of the readers' comments and it appears that a person with the same name as this provider set fire to a Houston area high school back in December of 2002 because she didn't want to take an exam. Doing the math, she would have been about 16 and certainly still in high school. Since that doesn't sound like a common name, I am going to go out on a limb and guess that it's her. Not really much info on it since she was a juvenile at the time.

A couple of pp's mentioned that the daycare fire may have been deliberately set in order to cover up something else far worse. Not such a far-fetched idea and I agree that autopsies are definitely in order.
MyAngels 03:33 PM 02-28-2011

The US does have an extradition treaty with Nigeria, now if we can just get them to enforce it and not just allow her to disappear.
SilverSabre25 03:34 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
It certainly seems that way. I just read some of the readers' comments and it appears that a person with the same name as this provider set fire to a Houston area high school back in December of 2002 because she didn't want to take an exam. Doing the math, she would have been about 16 and certainly still in high school. Since that doesn't sound like a common name, I am going to go out on a limb and guess that it's her. Not really much info on it since she was a juvenile at the time.

A couple of pp's mentioned that the daycare fire may have been deliberately set in order to cover up something else far worse. Not such a far-fetched idea and I agree that autopsies are definitely in order.
Umm.....if she was the one that set that fire...that's umm...they licensed her?!?

I have also been wondering if something bad happened that morning, or something she THOUGHT would look bad, so she set the fire to try and cover it up...but I can't even imagine what would make her think that was a good idea. I certainly can't think of any other reason though that she would think it was a good idea to leave a pot of oil on the stove when she wasn't going to be home (not to mention leaving the kiddos at home alone...)
Cat Herder 03:46 PM 02-28-2011
Umm.....if she was the one that set that fire...that's umm...they licensed her?!?
Juvi crime histories disappear....

You do not want me on that soapbox....
nikia 03:53 PM 02-28-2011
Juvi crime histories disappear....

You do not want me on that soapbox....
Sure I do
pinkbunny85 03:55 PM 02-28-2011

she would have been 13 at the time of fire if it was in 2002. granted when I was that age I was in 7th grade and in the high school.
daycare 03:56 PM 02-28-2011
where did you find that news about her setting fire to a HS? I wanted to read the article and tried to find it but could not..
Cat Herder 04:34 PM 02-28-2011
Well, we now know where her brother is, suddenly, again.

He wont talk about her where abouts but is opening a benefit fund.

There is murmoring that her facebook account is still open and active as well... That she is actually updating it.
Crystal 06:17 PM 02-28-2011
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...95-504083.html
squareone 06:54 PM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by pinkbunny85:
she would have been 13 at the time of fire if it was in 2002. granted when I was that age I was in 7th grade and in the high school.

Oops, thanks pinkbunny85 you're right. I must have been using that "new math"
pinkbunny85 07:50 PM 02-28-2011
Oops, thanks pinkbunny85 you're right. I must have been using that "new math"
when I read your post I was using that "new math" too. didn't take into account if she was 16 i'd only be 3 years older not 8.
dEHmom 04:30 AM 03-01-2011
certainly can't think of any other reason though that she would think it was a good idea to leave a pot of oil on the stove when she wasn't going to be home (not to mention leaving the kiddos at home alone...)
when I moved out with dh when pregnant with dd, mil handed us her deepfryer and said "PROMISE me you will NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER put oil on the stove". And we sat through many 5 min "discussions" several times each year for the last 8 years regarding how unsafe it is.

She used to work for housing, and dealt with many cases of people using oil in a pot and falling asleep, walking away, etc. And had to deal with deaths of children, teens, and adults because of it. She knows first hand how fast an oil fire spreads, and how hard it can be to put it out.

I wonder if this was actually an accident, if her 10-20 mins before calling for help was trying to put this fire out, and not realizing she was doing more harm? Grease fires do not get put out the same way that any other fires do. Also....the smoking point for oil, everytime you use it, gets higher and higher. So maybe it was older oil too, and it reached such a HIGH temp thats why it was so difficult to see through the smoke etc.
SilverSabre25 04:36 AM 03-01-2011
when I moved out with dh when pregnant with dd, mil handed us her deepfryer and said "PROMISE me you will NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER put oil on the stove". And we sat through many 5 min "discussions" several times each year for the last 8 years regarding how unsafe it is.

She used to work for housing, and dealt with many cases of people using oil in a pot and falling asleep, walking away, etc. And had to deal with deaths of children, teens, and adults because of it. She knows first hand how fast an oil fire spreads, and how hard it can be to put it out.

I wonder if this was actually an accident, if her 10-20 mins before calling for help was trying to put this fire out, and not realizing she was doing more harm? Grease fires do not get put out the same way that any other fires do. Also....the smoking point for oil, everytime you use it, gets higher and higher. So maybe it was older oil too, and it reached such a HIGH temp thats why it was so difficult to see through the smoke etc.
My only experience with fire in my house was an oil fire. I tried to make chicken nuggets using the wrong kind of oil and was standing *right there* (well, a few feet away) when the flames whooshed up. It was mere seconds between everything being fine and the kitchen being so full of smoke that it was hard to see. The flames were up to the stove vent hood. I screamed to DH to call 911 as I grabbed DD. I knew that it was a grease fire and that I didn't have the right stuff to put it out and that it could spread really fast. We were LUCKY--the fire burned itself out pretty quickly but the house was totally full of smoke. The fire department got there really quickly and everything was fine....but I know that was mostly divine protection keeping us safe that night because it could have gone much, MUCH worse. There was only about an inch of oil in the pan. Much more, and I think the flames would have been bigger.
dEHmom 04:45 AM 03-01-2011
Well I'd like to say I hope this woman rots...

Sorry anyone willing to put a childs life at risk so stupidy, and in fact take children's lives, deserves to suffer. I don't believe the chair is justice. She will get off too easily if it was the chair (someone mentioned it above).

She needs to rot in a jail. Plenty of time to think it over and over in her mind. How it could have been so different if only she wasn't such a friggin moron.
Lilbutterflie 05:32 AM 03-01-2011
I just don't understand how she could only be charged with one count of serious bodily injury to a child. FOUR children DIED, and 3 others will have burns and scars that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives!! Why isn't she charged with murder, or at the very least involuntary manslaughter??

And the fact she fled to Nigeria makes it that much worse. I'll be praying every day that they are able to find her and bring her back to go on trial.
MyAngels 06:22 AM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I just don't understand how she could only be charged with one count of serious bodily injury to a child. FOUR children DIED, and 3 others will have burns and scars that they will carry with them for the rest of their lives!! Why isn't she charged with murder, or at the very least involuntary manslaughter??

And the fact she fled to Nigeria makes it that much worse. I'll be praying every day that they are able to find her and bring her back to go on trial.
I'm sure more charges will follow. Most times the DA's office will issue arrest warrants for the first charge they can get all their ducks in a row with just so they can get the person into custody, and more charges follow as they gather the right evidence. Unfortunately this time they didn't get the warrant fast enough and she fled.
Lilbutterflie 06:27 AM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I'm sure more charges will follow. Most times the DA's office will issue arrest warrants for the first charge they can get all their ducks in a row with just so they can get the person into custody, and more charges follow as they gather the right evidence. Unfortunately this time they didn't get the warrant fast enough and she fled.
I hope you are right. And that brings up another good point... the moment the police and firefighters came on seen to the fire; she should have been labeled as a person of interest in a crime investigation. Persons of interest in a crime investigation should go on some kind of a list for international travel and NOT allowed to leave the country.
Cat Herder 06:52 AM 03-01-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I hope you are right. And that brings up another good point... the moment the police and firefighters came on seen to the fire; she should have been labeled as a person of interest in a crime investigation. Persons of interest in a crime investigation should go on some kind of a list for international travel and NOT allowed to leave the country.
To the first responders, she was..... They knew instantly, trust me...

It is convincing a DA and a Judge with fresh manicures and no street experience that takes a little work...

And, oh yeah, the criminals have more rights than victims... If you don't cross your "T's" just right, they walk....

Added: I was referring to day one. When the rest of the world wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt. It is hard to verbally express gut instinct to technical thinkers...we have different mindsets. One is analytical and detail oriented as it applies to the law, the other is raw emotion and holding those dead babies in your arms. No harm intended.
Jewels 07:09 AM 03-01-2011
When did curriculum and age get so wrapped up in this story, Simple matter is it doesn't matter how old she is, she wasn't even there, if she were home sitting down doing a curriculum even at the age off 22, chances are all the children would be alive, if she were doing everything she said she did she would have been able to get these babies out........this is horrific and sad, and she was ignorant and stupid. but on the subject of curriculum, I do one, but its not all day, its like an hour a day, 1 thing per day one subject per day, most done during circle time, that includes all children.
DaycareMomma 07:39 AM 03-01-2011
I would like to know, why was there a pot of oil on the stove? Something tells me she was covering something worse up. Was she heating up oil to fry something and thought she'd get back in time? It doesn't fit together correctly in my mind.

None the less, my heart BREAKS for these families. After reading about this all I sat down with all my daycare kids and just held them for a while. These kids mean the world to me and I could NEVER imagine harming them in any way..... She should be lit on fire herself to die...... Treat others as you'd like to be treated...
blueclouds29 07:40 AM 03-01-2011
http://www.comcast.net/articles/news...Day.Care.Fire/
MyAngels 07:50 AM 03-01-2011
To the first responders, she was..... They knew instantly, trust me...

It is convincing a DA and a Judge with fresh manicures and no street experience that takes a little work...

And, oh yeah, the criminals have more rights than victims... If you don't cross your "T's" just right, they walk....
I have family that are in law enforcement and I personally know two prosecuters, so this is a touchy subject for me. I've never met anyone involved in either who was not absolutely passionate about what they do.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on who you ask) our criminal justice system is designed to protect the rights of everyone. If the police or courts rush to judgment they run the risk of having their entire case go down the tubes and having to watch an obviously guilty person walk free. Can you even imagine that in this case? So they make sure their i's are dotted and their t's are crossed so that they don't have to watch that happen.

I have no doubt that everyone from the top down involved in this case are working their tails off to make sure that this case is prosecuted fully.

I also agree with the PP that she should have been on the no-fly list and not allowed to leave the country.
Cat Herder 05:30 PM 03-01-2011
I am also from a multi-generational law enforcement family....

http://www.kens5.com/internal?st=pri...ews/texas-news
DCMomOf3 05:53 PM 03-01-2011
I am also from a multi-generational law enforcement family....
these are things that I've been wondering about...

"Nine more charges are being drafted as we speak," said Harris County District Attorney Pat Lykos in a news conference late Tuesday afternoon.

Tata left the children unattended while she went shopping at a Target on Eldridge Parkway, according to a probable cause affidavit released Tuesday.

Here is the timeline, according to that document:

1:09 p.m.: Surveillance camera shows Tata arriving at Target

1:24 p.m.: Tata is seen on camera leaving Target

1:29 p.m. First 911 call reporting the fire at Tata’s day care"

nannyde 06:00 PM 03-01-2011
http://www.khou.com/video/featured-v...117128683.html

Listen close where she says there are NINE children in there........ she got two out.

Where are the other two? They only recoverd seven kids.
Cat Herder 06:02 PM 03-01-2011
http://www.khou.com/video/featured-v...117128683.html

Listen close where she says there are NINE children in there........ she got two out.

Where are the other two? They only recoverd seven kids.
2 were no-shows that day but she had not recorded attendance, yet..

At least that is my undersanding of it.

there were "supposed" to be 9...

I think the other two charges are in relation to fleeing or regulation issues... I cant find that link again. I was kicked offline...

Oh, Nan, someone is going to lose their job over that video....
Michelle 06:39 PM 03-01-2011
can you imagine what those 2 families that didn't show up are thinking? and what millions of parents are thinking now every morning when they go to drop off their precious children?
This woman was an idiot!
Did anyone see her family home? It's like a mansion!
Why was she doing daycare? She should have been an exterminator, or a cab driver or something that does not involve kids.
nannyde 01:56 AM 03-02-2011
2 were no-shows that day but she had not recorded attendance, yet..

At least that is my undersanding of it.

there were "supposed" to be 9...

I think the other two charges are in relation to fleeing or regulation issues... I cant find that link again. I was kicked offline...

Oh, Nan, someone is going to lose their job over that video....
Firefighter said at -11.25 "how many were inside altogether"

Tata said "nine total ... I pulled two out... there's two in cribs.

There were two kids in the back yard when the fire fighters got there.

The fireman tells the next fireman "you have nine total ... there are two out... you have some in cribs" so seven more inside.
Cat Herder 03:13 AM 03-02-2011
Firefighter said at -11.25 "how many were inside altogether"

Tata said "nine total ... I pulled two out... there's two in cribs.

There were two kids in the back yard when the fire fighters got there.

The fireman tells the next fireman "you have nine total ... there are two out... you have some in cribs" so seven more inside.
I know.... she changed her story after they searched and did not locate them.
nannyde 03:17 AM 03-02-2011
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7989080

Brother confirms that Tata started fires at Katy High School when she was fourteen. Press is saying she lit fires on the west wing and the east wing of the building with toilet paper hanging from the ceiling.
Cat Herder 03:29 AM 03-02-2011

Brother confirms that Tata started fires at Katy High School when she was fourteen. Press is saying she lit fires on the west wing and the east wing of the building with toilet paper hanging from the ceiling.
OMG.... I don't know what to say.....
dEHmom 03:35 AM 03-02-2011
OMG! I am getting angrier and angrier with this woman!

And I too tried to give benefit of doubt at first even though I didn't think so.

GRRRRR.........

Someone better inform America's Most Wanted of this! They will find her
nannyde 03:56 AM 03-02-2011
It looks like she flew out of Atlanta to Nigeria but they aren't giving the specifics of what city she went to in Nigeria.

It's a 12 hour drive from Houston to Atlanta. That's an awful long drive to get to another airport where you won't be noticed.

Somebody took her there. Somebody helped get her out of the country.

So many questions now. I sure would like to see her Target receipt.
dEHmom 03:57 AM 03-02-2011

What does her brother say at the 30-35 second mark? " we reached out to her whenever she's ready...blah blah blah" ......that's my story? thats my song?

I'm not even done watching this video....I don't believe him. IF they truly wanted to help these families, they would have continued trying to raise the funds for the families. But I know in my heart that they were trying to raise the money to help Tata.
Cat Herder 04:12 AM 03-02-2011
It looks like she flew out of Atlanta to Nigeria but they aren't giving the specifics of what city she went to in Nigeria.

It's a 12 hour drive from Houston to Atlanta. That's an awful long drive to get to another airport where you won't be noticed.

Her Dad is in Port Harcourt, Nigeria

He has business there and in Houston
MyAngels 04:22 AM 03-02-2011

I wonder if they can use this as leverage to get her back to the US...
dEHmom 04:28 AM 03-02-2011

Her mom....one of the videos stated that they seen family members and the mom loading up duffel bags and suitcases into an SUV
The reported informed police and they didn't do nothing about it.

I want to know what she bought too. Considering all the other info released to public on this case, I'm sure we will find out soon enough.
nannyde 04:29 AM 03-02-2011

Can you imagine the cost of getting a ticket to Nigeria in one day from atlanta. Geeze I don't know too many 22 year olds that have a couple of grand hanging around.
Cat Herder 05:06 AM 03-02-2011
Can you imagine the cost of getting a ticket to Nigeria in one day from atlanta. Geeze I don't know too many 22 year olds that have a couple of grand hanging around.
USAfrica March 1, 2011: 22 years old Ms. Jessica Tata, a Nigerian based in Houston, has reportedly fled to Nigeria; becoming a fugitive from justice for for her responsibilities as owner of a home day care operator accused in a fire that killed four children.
USAfrica and USAfricaonline.com can confirm that she is from the River State of Nigeria, near the restive, oil city of Port Harcourt. USAfrica can also report that the day care operator Jessica Tata who fled to Nigeria could be in Port Harcourt, in the Rivers State of Nigeria.

Her father Godfrey Tata, owner of a healthcare business, has been a resident of Houston since the early 1980s, and spends more time in Nigeria, and a few months in Houston.

USAfricaonline.com Publisher is reliably informed that Jessica’s father was expected back to Houston last weekend of February but did not make it back. At the time of this report on March 1, 2011, he was still away. The same weekend of Saturday February 27, 2011, he was expected, her daughter Jessica, apparently fled from Houston, Texas.
Heath instigators and security officials in Houston are reporting that that left the very young kids she was caring for without adult supervision, while a stovetop burner was on, before the fire started. Investigators believe that the stovetop burner was the source of the fire. She has been charged for reckless injury to a child involving serious bodily injury. Some of the children are dead, and the offense carries a sentence of 2 to 10 years in prison.
The US Marshals Service in Houston to help track her down. USAfrica understands they will be working with interpol and the FBI to track the movements and paths of the young Nigerian-American. The Nigerian community in Houston and other Africans in the area are worried by the fact Ms. Tata ran away especially as there are very young kids who apparently died from the negligence at her home day care facility. ©USAfrica 2011. By Chido Nwangwu, Founder & Publisher of USAfrica and recipient of several journalism and public policy awards, was recently profiled by the CNN International for his pioneering works on multimedia/news projects for Africans and Americans. http://edition.cnn.com/video/#/video...media.bk.a.cnn

USAfrica and USAfricaonline.com (characterized by The New York Times as the most influential African-owned, U.S-based multimedia networks) established May 1992, our first edition of USAfrica magazine was published August 1993; USAfrica The Newspaper on May 11, 1994; CLASSmagazine on May 2, 2003; www.PhotoWorks.TV in 2005. wireless: 832-45-CHIDO (24436). Office: 713-270-5500. e-mail: USAfrica247@USAfricaonline.com
Michelle 08:01 AM 03-02-2011
Have you seen a picture of her parents house??
nannyde 08:20 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Have you seen a picture of her parents house??
Nope but I heard it's ginormous
nannyde 10:57 AM 03-02-2011
http://images.bimedia.net/documents/...able-cause.pdf
DCMomOf3 11:07 AM 03-02-2011
Tata said she knew the fire had been going for a long time?????

If it was intentional I will throw up.
Lilbutterflie 11:12 AM 03-02-2011
As soon as I learned that she had previously set fire to her high school; I had a sneaky suspicion that she set the fire, went to Target, and came back. I know she entered Target at 1:09pm; I wonder if they will be able to determine what time the fire started?
jen 11:13 AM 03-02-2011
So, I just looked at the document linked above...It looks as though she was gone for about a total of 15 minutes. Obviously, you don't leave the house with kids inside, especially not with a pan on the stove, but I do think it is important to notice how FAST this fire became lethal...

My take on this is that she was going to start something for dinner and she got the pan started and realized she didn't have some ingredient and decided she would run quick to the store OR

She has a mental illness and set the fire intentionally...
DCMomOf3 11:16 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
So, I just looked at the document linked above...It looks as though she was gone for about a total of 15 minutes. Obviously, you don't leave the house with kids inside, especially not with a pan on the stove, but I do think it is important to notice how FAST this fire became lethal...

My take on this is that she was going to start something for dinner and she got the pan started and realized she didn't have some ingredient and decided she would run quick to the store OR

She has a mental illness and set the fire intentionally...
She was in Target 15 minutes. Add 10 minutes for commute and van loading...
jen 11:20 AM 03-02-2011
Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
She was in Target 15 minutes. Add 10 minutes for commute and van loading...
Good point! Still, to go from NO fire (if that is the case) to deadly fire, even in as much as 25 minutes is good to take note of.

Three of the houses in my 5 home cul de sac used to be providers (I'm the last one standing) and sometimes I would see my neighbors out chatting or in the summer spending time with their own kids while daycare kids took naps. I didn't really think about a fire at the time, more about waking up scared, choking, etc. but really, fires can and do start and become deadly pretty quickly.
Cat Herder 11:21 AM 03-02-2011
update:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=798980

Politics:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7988707

live now....

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/livenow?id=7990298
QualiTcare 11:29 AM 03-02-2011
i'm leaning on the side of a psycho who set the fire intentionally...

but if she really didn't do it on purpose, she's def. not the brightest crayon in the box - obviously - so i have no doubt that she will NOT be able to stay "on the run" very long at aaaall.
DCMomOf3 11:32 AM 03-02-2011
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=7989280
MyAngels 01:25 PM 03-02-2011
It sounds like the investigators did everything they could to get the information to make the charges. Whether he/she was right or wrong by law, I would not want to be the ADA who continually refused the charges and decided she was not a flight risk.
nannyde 01:33 PM 03-02-2011
Where the heck is the rest of the live now part??????????????? The chief news conference????????

I can only find part one
Cat Herder 02:29 PM 03-02-2011
Where the heck is the rest of the live now part??????????????? The chief news conference????????

I can only find part one
Me, too... That is why I snuck back on here in hopes they were just holding it for the 6pm news.... they do that alot here when we are wanting to find out about something that happened earlier in the day on shift....

Then I remembered the time difference...

Guess we will have to check in another 2 hours??
nannyde 02:52 PM 03-02-2011
They are going to need CASH to get her back. Cash for the person who brings her into their government and then CASH for the goverment to get them to agree to it.

It has to be more cash than her family will spare.
JenNJ 03:17 PM 03-02-2011
I want to throw up watching that video from the scene. OMG. How can you DO that to children? How? OMG. I may have to stop following this case bc I am honestly consumed with grief for those children and their families and the neighbors who couldn't help.
Cat Herder 03:31 PM 03-02-2011
Most recent...

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7990398

Actual press conference pt 1

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7990423

pt 2

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/video?id=7990424
daycare 04:22 PM 03-02-2011
wow..... I am not buying this story....all I can say is why?

there were so many many things against her, yet they still trusted her?

previous arson record, tip that she may flee, she lied to their faces and yet they still trusted her? WOW something smells fishy to me.....
Cat Herder 03:38 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
wow..... I am not buying this story....all I can say is why?

there were so many many things against her, yet they still trusted her?

previous arson record, tip that she may flee, she lied to their faces and yet they still trusted her? WOW something smells fishy to me.....
I am also of the understanding that this Dept. had something like 4 other Arson related death scenes in the same week, IMHO that is stretching their manpower/resources a bit. It would require us to ask for outside help...

Tata was multi-generational in that area, her family had money and were well respected in their community and most assumed she would never leave, I guess... At first most were treating her as a victim of a horrible accident or terrible lapse of judgement....YKWIM?

Once she started complaining of "Chest Jailitis" onscene they were required to transport her to the hospital, unless she is under arrest she can sign out AMA....happens all the time.

Their hands were tied..the rest was just legal paperwork....

Hindsight is 20/20....there are no winners here.
nannyde 04:21 AM 03-03-2011
Cathearder

Does Tata have her own children?
Cat Herder 05:04 AM 03-03-2011
Cathearder

Does Tata have her own children?
Not that I could find any evidence of...
dEHmom 05:11 AM 03-03-2011
I can't get part 2 it doesn't work for me.

but I agree, and by the sounds of it the fire department or at least the chief (is that who was in the interview?) knew, but there was nothing they could do. They can't go accusing people and until they had the legal paperwork, they couldn't do anything.

sucks but she will be found and punished. I bet if she isn't found, she will turn herself in or commit suicide due to the nightmares. STUPID F^&#ING WOMAN!
Cat Herder 06:18 AM 03-03-2011
I can't get part 2 it doesn't work for me.

but I agree, and by the sounds of it the fire department or at least the chief (is that who was in the interview?) knew, but there was nothing they could do. They can't go accusing people and until they had the legal paperwork, they couldn't do anything.

sucks but she will be found and punished. I bet if she isn't found, she will turn herself in or commit suicide due to the nightmares. STUPID F^&#ING WOMAN!
I fixed it....

I flipped letters....
dEHmom 06:31 AM 03-03-2011
I fixed it....

I flipped letters....
I'm so confused??? Did I write the f bomb wrong? I just hit a bunch of symbols and then deleted until there was just enough.
Cat Herder 06:35 AM 03-03-2011
I'm so confused??? Did I write the f bomb wrong? I just hit a bunch of symbols and then deleted until there was just enough.
I think the forum did that...or maybe a Mod?

I just fixed my link of part 2 of the press conference...

That is where the reporters get to ask pointed questions.

To me, that is the most telling part...
dEHmom 06:41 AM 03-03-2011
ok sweet thanks! Watching it now
Tags:death at daycare, fire, home alone, leaving children alone, supervision, tata
1 2 3 
Reply Up