Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensing Visits
Lisamalone1 05:43 PM 06-21-2017
Hi all! does anyone know what "FREQUENT visits" are?
I have a few A violations, and my numbers were over quite a bit my first ever visit, and by one the next visit. So I was warned my visits will be frequent? Every 6 months? once yearly? what do you all think?
hwichlaz 05:48 PM 06-21-2017
You should always be ready. I don't know what state you're in, but in CA they'd be dropping in every time they were in your town for continued ratio violations like that...and you'd have been fined heavily.
trix23 07:01 PM 06-21-2017
You should always operate within ratios. Either hire an assistant for days that you're over or only allow certain days to be scheduled (M-F, MWF, TR) to avoid being over ratios. Charge higher tuition rates if you're not making enough $ with the number of kids you're legally allowed to have.
Annalee 04:13 AM 06-22-2017
Originally Posted by Lisamalone1:
I have a few A violations, and my numbers were over quite a bit my first ever visit, and by one the next visit. So I was warned my visits will be frequent? Every 6 months? once yearly? what do you all think?
What state are you in. In Tennessee, they come 4-6 times a year annually depending on your stars anyway but if you get a violation, they come every 2-4 weeks....and ratios are a major violation if not met!
DaveA 04:25 AM 06-22-2017
Be prepared for a lot of visits. Not so much a set schedule, but randomly every time the rep is anywhere close for a while. As for the ratio violations- get within licensed capacity/ ratios now. In IL they could have (and most reps would have) shut you down immediately. They show up again and find you out of ratio they'll probably tell you to call the parents for immediate pickup and yank your license. Over ratio is a huge violation in most states, especially if your first visit was "quite a few" over". I'm actually surprised you weren't shut down or at least hit with a fine/ corrective action plan at the second visit. Not trying to be a jerk but you've got to fix this now or you won't have a license long.
Josiegirl 04:27 AM 06-22-2017
I know someone in Vt. who was reported as being over ratio(but wasn't found to be) and she's been checked 3x within the past year. Being over numbers is considered one of the worst violations in our state.
It's not something I would mess with. I guess my question is why were you that much over #s to begin with and still over by 1 after that??
'In the old days'(like 25 yrs. ago) I admit, I didn't adhere to ratios very well but you wouldn't catch me doing it now. I'd rather inconvenience dcps than stick my neck out with my job.
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 06-22-2017
Personally I think you are lucky to only have "frequent visits" to be concerned about. I think after the first violation and your inability to correct what you know was wrong, that you should have lost your license.

Ratios are put in place for the safety and well being of the children and when adults choose to purposely disregard those regulations it hurts everyone in this profession.

My suggestion would be to get your ducks in order, stay within your ratios, follow all rules and regulations in your state and not worry about how often visits are.

That way, no matter how frequently they choose to check up on you, you'll be within compliance and have nothing to worry about.
amberrose3dg 06:36 AM 06-22-2017
Here going over you can actually be arrested if they wanted to. I don't mess around with that.
daycare 07:28 AM 06-22-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Personally I think you are lucky to only have "frequent visits" to be concerned about. I think after the first violation and your inability to correct what you know was wrong, that you should have lost your license.

Ratios are put in place for the safety and well being of the children and when adults choose to purposely disregard those regulations it hurts everyone in this profession.

My suggestion would be to get your ducks in order, stay within your ratios, follow all rules and regulations in your state and not worry about how often visits are.

That way, no matter how frequently they choose to check up on you, you'll be within compliance and have nothing to worry about.
This. everything BC said.
I am surprised that you didn't get closed down. I see that you are in CA. If you were in my county you would have been shut down if you were that much over your ratios even one time.

Don't do this for the money, do it because you want to have a hand in creating tomorrows leaders. If this is only money for you, get out, you will never be satisfied. Just my two cents..
Jupadia 07:33 AM 06-22-2017
The best way for you to predict when licensing is comming is to expect them everyday. Don't think oh they were here last weks or yesterday I'm good to do 'whatever' for the next bit.

If you are following all licenseing and ratio laws and regulations you won't have a problem. We're I am I don't have any type of inspection done unless I'm reported for having an issue. But every day I'm within my ratios and follow all laws.
Lisamalone1 02:33 PM 06-24-2017
Thanks for all your input. Well, yeah...I have had my license for 10 years and never had a complaint. The days I was over it was because part time families begged to get in on their days off.
I do believe the fines are only for civil violations in California. I certainly since then have raised my tuition prices and stay within my ratios, at all costs. although I am always ready for a visit with all my ducks in a row, its a different story being mentally ready. Obviously you don't know our licensing lady. so... maybe knowing she may come every 4 months, or every 6 months will give my brain a break thanks
LysesKids 06:51 PM 06-24-2017
Thanks for all your input. Well, yeah...I have had my license for 10 years and never had a complaint. The days I was over it was because part time families begged to get in on their days off.
I do believe the fines are only for civil violations in California. I certainly since then have raised my tuition prices and stay within my ratios, at all costs. although I am always ready for a visit with all my ducks in a row, its a different story being mentally ready. Obviously you don't know our licensing lady. so... maybe knowing she may come every 4 months, or every 6 months will give my brain a break thanks
There is NO excuse to let parents badger you to go over ratio. You risked getting shut down because of someone else poor planning - Sorry, but a parents emergency is not my problem & I refuse to be bullied; the last parent that tried that was shown the door without a refund AT DROP OFF. You chose to go over so deal with the fall out of more frequent visits & pray like hell they don't catch you again - it could cause you to lose your license forever.
Blackcat31 02:51 PM 06-25-2017
Thanks for all your input. Well, yeah...I have had my license for 10 years and never had a complaint.
What does that info have to do with it?
It just means you haven't been caught.

The days I was over it was because part time families begged to get in on their days off.
They asked you to risk your livelihood and everything you've worked for in the last 10 yrs.

.... and they didn't even have to work? It was their day off?
And you agreed/allowed it.
CalCare 04:19 PM 06-25-2017
I read that as the child's "day off" from the program.. still, no bueno. But, just clarifying! She means the child isn't normally there that day. Not the parent is off from work.
Reply Up