Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Tom - IRS Rules Regarding Snacks/Meals?
AmyKidsCo 12:04 PM 07-20-2016
Tom, I'm following your advice about serving extra snacks to the children for additional tax benefits.

Is there a limit to how many meals/snacks you can claim per child per day?

Currently I serve breakfast around 9, lunch around 12 and PM snack around 4. I've added a popsicle AM snack in the morning, but am wondering if I hand out crackers at pick-up can I count that as a second PM snack?
TomCopeland 01:03 PM 07-20-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Tom, I'm following your advice about serving extra snacks to the children for additional tax benefits.

Is there a limit to how many meals/snacks you can claim per child per day?

Currently I serve breakfast around 9, lunch around 12 and PM snack around 4. I've added a popsicle AM snack in the morning, but am wondering if I hand out crackers at pick-up can I count that as a second PM snack?
IRS rules allow you to deduct one breakfast, one lunch, one supper and three snacks per day per child. So, yes, you can count the second PM snack.
AmyKidsCo 01:04 PM 07-20-2016
Super, thanks!
Blackcat31 01:19 PM 07-20-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
if I hand out crackers at pick-up can I count that as a second PM snack?
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
IRS rules allow you to deduct one breakfast, one lunch, one supper and three snacks per day per child. So, yes, you can count the second PM snack.
Are there any rules to having to have actually served the meal/snack?

Like AmyKidsCo said above, if she just hands them out at pick up so the kids take them to eat in car or eat at home...we can still claim it?

Just want to make sure I am reading right.
Thriftylady 01:27 PM 07-20-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Like AmyKidsCo said above, if she just hands them out at pick up so the kids take them to eat in car or eat at home...we can still claim it?

Yeah I was under the impression the food had to be eaten with daycare.
TomCopeland 07:30 AM 07-21-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

If you serve food to children, you can deduct the meal/snack. Giving children a snack as they walk out the door is serving a snack. Count it.
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 07-21-2016
Thank you Tom!!

Just wanted to clarify
Thriftylady 07:47 AM 07-21-2016
Yeah I wouldn't have claimed that!
Tags:deduction - food, deduction - meals, snacks
Reply Up