Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Looking Forward, 2017 Tax Question
Miss A 04:51 PM 01-16-2017
Hey guys! We are in the middle of a HUGE ice storm right now, and our driveway is a skating rink.

My DF (dear fiancee) picked up some salt and lime screening to put down on it so that it isn't so treacherous for DCF in the morning. He gave me the receipts, and asked how we should handle them.

I think that because we will be married this year, and we will file our 2017 taxes jointly we are fine if I don't reimburse him out of my business account, as we share our finances already. He is wondering if I need to reimburse him from the business account, and if my business taxes will be files separately from our "regular" taxes. I told him that my business taxes are my income taxes, and that it will all be filed jointly.

Is this correct?
TomCopeland 09:34 AM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by Miss A:
Hey guys! We are in the middle of a HUGE ice storm right now, and our driveway is a skating rink.

My DF (dear fiancee) picked up some salt and lime screening to put down on it so that it isn't so treacherous for DCF in the morning. He gave me the receipts, and asked how we should handle them.

I think that because we will be married this year, and we will file our 2017 taxes jointly we are fine if I don't reimburse him out of my business account, as we share our finances already. He is wondering if I need to reimburse him from the business account, and if my business taxes will be files separately from our "regular" taxes. I told him that my business taxes are my income taxes, and that it will all be filed jointly.

Is this correct?
You are correct. If you are married by the end of 2017 it doesn't matter which of you bought items used in your business. You don't need a separate business account (you can have one if you want). You will fill out several business tax forms (Form 8829, Schedule C, Form 1040SE) and then file jointly with your husband. Make sure you are married by December 31, 2017!
Miss A 01:06 PM 01-17-2017
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You are correct. If you are married by the end of 2017 it doesn't matter which of you bought items used in your business. You don't need a separate business account (you can have one if you want). You will fill out several business tax forms (Form 8829, Schedule C, Form 1040SE) and then file jointly with your husband. Make sure you are married by December 31, 2017!
Thank you Tom! I have my DBA on my bank account so that I can deposit checks with my business name on them. I use that as my personal account as well.

And the date is set, November 18, 2017!
Tags:deductions, taxes, tom copeland
Reply Up