Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Deducting monthly portion of tablet bill
TSDaycare 11:59 AM 01-20-2017
Instead of outright purchase, added a tablet to use to input stuff to kidkare on my cellphone plan. What category do I deduct that monthly expense in, office expenses??

My tax preparer says I put too much effort into breaking down my cellphone bills each year. She says I said be taking the years total and splitting into however many devices and using that figure. Problem is not all lines are charged the same. My husband has his own business to use his part as a write-off, I have my line for daycare that gets T/S, my son has a line that doesn't get written off, and now the tablet. What are your thoughts.....am I doing it right or is she right? IMO, my husband and myself are not going to be getting the write-off we are entitled to??
TomCopeland 02:48 PM 01-20-2017
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
Instead of outright purchase, added a tablet to use to input stuff to kidkare on my cellphone plan. What category do I deduct that monthly expense in, office expenses??

My tax preparer says I put too much effort into breaking down my cellphone bills each year. She says I said be taking the years total and splitting into however many devices and using that figure. Problem is not all lines are charged the same. My husband has his own business to use his part as a write-off, I have my line for daycare that gets T/S, my son has a line that doesn't get written off, and now the tablet. What are your thoughts.....am I doing it right or is she right? IMO, my husband and myself are not going to be getting the write-off we are entitled to??
You can't deduct the first phone line into your home. You can deduct the business portion of all other phone lines. So, designate your husband's phone line as the first phone line and don't deduct it. You could use your time-space % on all other lines you use for your business including the tablet. If you believe that one line or the tablet is much more heavily used for your business than your time-space %, then calculate an actual business use % and deduct a higher amount.
TSDaycare 04:14 PM 01-20-2017
QUOTE=TomCopeland;621919]You can't deduct the first phone line into your home. You can deduct the business portion of all other phone lines. So, designate your husband's phone line as the first phone line and don't deduct it. You could use your time-space % on all other lines you use for your business including the tablet. If you believe that one line or the tablet is much more heavily used for your business than your time-space %, then calculate an actual business use % and deduct a higher amount.[/quote]

We have a landline which we don't deduct.
TomCopeland 10:48 AM 01-21-2017
Originally Posted by TSDaycare:
QUOTE=TomCopeland;621919]You can't deduct the first phone line into your home. You can deduct the business portion of all other phone lines. So, designate your husband's phone line as the first phone line and don't deduct it. You could use your time-space % on all other lines you use for your business including the tablet. If you believe that one line or the tablet is much more heavily used for your business than your time-space %, then calculate an actual business use % and deduct a higher amount.
We have a landline which we don't deduct.[/quote]

Then you are fine.
Reply Up